Author Topic: Dr. Laura Apologizes for Shocking, N-Word Filled Radio Rant  (Read 18699 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Laura Apologizes for Shocking, N-Word Filled Radio Rant
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:50:48 pm »
Dr. Laura is scheduled to appear on Larry King tonight.

HEF attack squad, hit the phone-lines! 8)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »
Dr. Laura did not look well at all during the King Interview.

I hope it's just that I haven't seen her since her TV talk show years ago.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:42 am »
I hope it's because she's terminally ill.

She said she's not renewing her contract and leaving her show so she can say whatever she wants without "special interests groups" complaining. She tried to make it clear it was her own decision and basically she took back her fake apology.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 08:10:48 am »
I hope it's because she's terminally ill.

She said she's not renewing her contract and leaving her show so she can say whatever she wants without "special interests groups" complaining. She tried to make it clear it was her own decision and basically she took back her fake apology.

I don't believe she's going anywhere.  Just like Imus, radio racists always keep a job.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:19 am »
i sent an email complaint to the FCC, and they responded, i don't quite understand the message - "There is no longer a role for the FCC and the FCC will not defend any person concerning personal attacks"

and they attached something about policy they adopted circa 2000.. lots of legalese, here's an excerpt..
Federal Communications Commission FCC 00-386
Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554
In the Matter of
Repeal or Modification of the
Personal Attack and Political Editorial Rules

MM Docket No. 83-484
ORDER
(Proceeding Terminated)
Adopted: October 26, 2000 Released: October 26, 2000
By the Commission: Chairman Kennard issuing a statement; Commissioner Powell concurring and
issuing a statement.
1. Pursuant to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals’ order in Radio-Television News Directors
Association v. FCC, No. 98-1305, slip op. (D.C. Cir. Oct. 11, 2000) (RTNDA), we hereby repeal Sections
73.1920 and 73.1930 of our rules, 47 C.F.R. §§ 73.1920, 73.1930, the broadcast personal attack and
political editorial rules. Further, in light of these actions, we vacate our Order and Request to Update
Record released October 4, 2000 (FCC 00-360) and terminate this proceeding.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:15 am »
She's not going anywhere...the "leaving" doesn't take effect until everything blows over the end of the year, it'll give her time to turn the tables and triumphantly keep her show in the interest of not being run out of the house by "special interest groups".

Offline Afro Samurai

• THE BLACK MAN IS GOD!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »
No what, this white racist bitch brought up some good point:

"Without giving much thought, a lot of blacks voted for Obama simply 'cause he was half-black," she said. "Didn't matter what he was gonna do in office, it was a black thing. You gotta know that."

I can't front, that is only reason why I voted for him.

"You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, 'OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?'

Again, I am on Laura's side again. People know that interracial relationships is still taboo, so that stupid black caller should expect backlash. But hey that caller is stupid in the first place for marrying a white man and asking advice from a white woman.

How come, Howard Stern aint off the air yet? That racist has been saying slick sh*t for mad long now.
INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS IS A SIN!!!!!! YOU'LL DIE QUICKER AND ALSO BURN IN HELL. THOSE ARE THE FACTS, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »
from GAWKER:

"If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate."

This is a terribad argument in favor of white people calling black people niggers. Listen, it's absolutely legal for white people to call black people niggers so the only thing to argue against is the public backlash from using it. They feel they should be able to say it without proper context and not get any negative reactions.

Please Dr. Laura, define a nigger to me from your perspective. I have a hunch it's not going to be your homeboy.
Quoted for truth Toyah. One of the reasons I'll always defend so-called Political Correctness is that I see it as being the simple principle of "say what you mean, mean what you say, and take responsibility for both." If you want to call black people 'niggers', go ahead and do it. Knock yourself out. But if people don't like it, take responsibility for the choice you made. If you don't understand why it upsets them, take responsibility for your ignorance and find out why they have reacted that way. If it turns out you made a poor choice in using that word, own up to it, and if you feel you were justified, explain why.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline bluezulu

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
Toya!!! So good to hear from you. I hope all is well? Wow it have been so e-long for all of us since the original hef crew.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 06:51:35 am »
@Hypestyle: So the FCC has just given up trying to enforce its rules and anybody can  just say whatever (including Carlin seven little words) on the air now? Or they just given up taking listener complaints. With the advent of the Shock Jock I could see it being the latter(they'd need a small army for enforcement and investgation at this rate). But I don't know what's going on either.

So I heard/read that Doc Laura's quitting radio. Boo-Hoo.

In what is becoming a nation of whiners, the whinest of all have to be White Conseratives of Doc Laura's ilk.

I had heard she said she wanted to regain her freedom of speech. Nobody took it away from her. It just seems to be news to her that actions have cosequences.  I have the absolute right to stand on a streetcorner in Spanish Harlem and yell anti-Hispanic slurs. But I cannot cry about the inevitable end result of such behavior(i.e. an asskicking).

I'm not gonna defend the N-word as I think it has no value. At all. But its not like the brothers are listening on this subject lately.

I have heard Italians of a certain generation call each other "Wop" but just you try it. Gays may call each other gay slurs in an ironic way but if somebody else does it, it's hate speech.

It not that the rules are too hard to understand. It is just that to atempt to undertand the rules(or to learn that there are any in the first place) requires that you actually learn about the world and people around you.  And THAT'S the part that is freaking Dr. Laura out. Folks like her think the world revolves around them and thier worldview. One of the worst things you could do to folks like that is let them know they are in error about that.   

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 06:57:00 am »
NPR's TELL me MORE  hosted by Michel Martin weighs in with her report:

The Nigger Lady

"...And don't miss our media roundtable about Dr. Laura Schlessinger's announcement that she is done with radio.  Just days after apologizing for using the N-word 11 times on air, Dr. Laura told CNN's Larry King on Tuesday she is leaving her national talk show at the end of the year."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129166467

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:42 am »
Who?

Now the typical "why you guys can say it but not me" or the kicker of an argument "they voted for Obama cuz he was half-black". I guess veterans voted for McCain because he was POW.  ::)

The caller "trolled" her good and she fell for the bait like a moron.

Is the entire "transcript" available or are we stuck with this "partial transcript"?

As for talk radio, when I had my car before it went up I refused to listen to anyone. I would just have my music and just go.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:32:36 am by BmoreAkuma »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 08:02:52 am »
@Hypestyle: So the FCC has just given up trying to enforce its rules and anybody can  just say whatever (including Carlin seven little words) on the air now? Or they just given up taking listener complaints. With the advent of the Shock Jock I could see it being the latter(they'd need a small army for enforcement and investgation at this rate). But I don't know what's going on either.

So I heard/read that Doc Laura's quitting radio. Boo-Hoo.

In what is becoming a nation of whiners, the whinest of all have to be White Conseratives of Doc Laura's ilk.

I had heard she said she wanted to regain her freedom of speech. Nobody took it away from her. It just seems to be news to her that actions have cosequences.  I have the absolute right to stand on a streetcorner in Spanish Harlem and yell anti-Hispanic slurs. But I cannot cry about the inevitable end result of such behavior(i.e. an asskicking).

I'm not gonna defend the N-word as I think it has no value. At all. But its not like the brothers are listening on this subject lately.

I have heard Italians of a certain generation call each other "Wop" but just you try it. Gays may call each other gay slurs in an ironic way but if somebody else does it, it's hate speech.

It not that the rules are too hard to understand. It is just that to atempt to undertand the rules(or to learn that there are any in the first place) requires that you actually learn about the world and people around you.  And THAT'S the part that is freaking Dr. Laura out. Folks like her think the world revolves around them and thier worldview. One of the worst things you could do to folks like that is let them know they are in error about that.   

Double V,

On this we agree. Good way to sum up the victimology that some white conservatives wade in. I found it even funnier that Sarah Palin would rush to Dr. Laura's defense when a few months ago she was going after Seth McFarlane and the word retarded. She likened the word to the n-word and I believe that she said that no one would tolerate using that word, yet here she is, defending Dr. Laura. Of course its on the grounds of Laura 'not being a racist' or something, but all it says to me is that the conservatives are just sticking up for one of their own and that Palin is playing to her base. The base which largely refuses or denies racists among them, and truth be told, I don't think most of them believe that white racism continues to exist, or is all that bad, or that the only racism that does occur today is black racism/reverse racism against them.

michaelintp

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 12:27:07 pm »
OK, time for an alternative point of view. I was out of town last week, and kept repeatedly hearing on MSNBC how horrible Dr. Laura Schlesinger is, including Al Sharpton railing against her, but strangely I never heard a precise quote of what she actually said that was objectionable. So finally I did a Google search and found the transcript. (I don't have the link anymore, but any of you can do the same and find it). My comments are based on the transcript found in the MediaMatters article. Of course the key is to focus on what she actually said, not on the editorial spin of the reporter. If she said anything other than what is reported in the MediaMatters article, I would like to know, as my comments are entirely based on what MediaMatters reported. As an aside, my understanding that her publicist (or some such professional rep) is black.

For heaven's sake. I'm no fan of Dr. Laura, but if you read the ENTIRE transcript of her comments, not snippets taken out of context, she was NOT calling anyone a "nigger."  Had she done so, I would be the first to condemn her. But she did NOT do so. She was simply commenting on the common use of that adjective in the Black Media and Entertainment Industries. You do hear "nigger, nigger, nigger" all the time in music lyrics, by comedians, and so on. On that point, Schlesinger was completely correct.  Even Al Sharpton has used the term, though this didn't stop him from bitching on cable news about Schlesinger's reference to others using the term.

Even recently, on the Hudlin Entertainment Forum, we had a discussion of the disparaging phrase "House Nigger."  Was it "racist" for me to respond to another Forum member's use of that description. Were my comments a "racist rant" because I repeated the "N" word used by someone else?  :P

By the same token, one could condemn MediaMatters for printing the "N" word repeatedly in its story, as it, like Dr. Laura, was simply repeating what others say.  Both were quoting or referencing the comments and behavior of others.

This bitch-fest is nothing but left-wing smear politics, using her reference (not use of) the term "nigger" as a pretense. To the extent that any person was offended by Schlesinger's use of the "N" word, in the context that she used it, that person is hyper-sensitive.

The use of the term "nigger" is clearly offensive when used to describe someone else. I have strongly made that point myself, here on the Forum (with some black forum members disagreeing with me). Its use is not offensive when quoting or referencing the quotes of others. In the latter context, it doesn't matter if the person quoting the term is black or white (or even the editor of MediaMatters or Dr. Laura).  That was Schlesinger's point, in saying it should not matter if the person using the term is black or white. She was referencing the context in which she was using the term (as referencing the conduct of others), after the female caller attacked her in a "gotcha" fashion after hearing the term.

Now, you might object to her description of the female caller (a black woman married to a white man) as hyper-sensitive, but that is another matter. If that is all Schlesinger had said, without her reference to other folk's use of the "N" word, you would have never heard about it, and nobody would have made a stink. Whether the woman who called her was hyper-sensitive or not, I've no way to know, as it is hard to discern from a short phone call if the caller's white husband's relatives are really jerks, or whether they were just innocently asking her what "black people" think about X or Y, in the same way that if a Christian were married to a Jew, the Christian relatives might ask the Jew "What do Jews think about that." (Indeed, Schlesinger made this very same point). Now one might be offended by being treated as a "representative" of an entire group simply because one is a member of that group, but ... at times people (including sometimes on the Forum) have asked me about the Jewish perspective, and so forth, and I don't take offense. It all turns on whether there is a sub-text of bigotry or not. The female caller did not articulate why she assumed a sub-text of racism. The women did not describe any conduct that was clearly and overtly racist. Perhaps had she done so, Dr. Laura would not have gone off on the "hyper-sensitivity" issue.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »
Did you not hear the phone call? The caller wasn't complaining about being a representative for all Black people, her husband's friends and relatives were throwing around the n-word. Shiiiiid, I may be "hypersensitive" but one thing I'm not is deaf.