Author Topic: Marvel Announces All-Ages "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Comic"  (Read 3530 times)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Official Press Release

Marvel is pleased to announce the extra-sized Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #1 (of 4), based on the all-new animated series premiering this October on Disney XD. Visionary scribe Chris Yost joins forces with rising-star artists Scott Wegener and Patrick Scherberger to assemble the greatest super heroes of all time- Iron Man! Captain America! Thor! Hulk! When the world’s most evil villains attack, Captain America and Thor must join forces to stop them! Plus, don’t miss a second story featuring everyone’s favorite archer: Hawkeye!

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #1 is perfect for all ages and a great jumping-on point for new fans. And don’t miss the all-new animated series Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, premiering this October on Disney XD!

AVENGERS: EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES #1 (of 4)
Written by CHRISTOPHER YOST
Pencils by SCOTT WEGENER & PATRICK SCHERBERGER
All Ages …$3.99
ON-SALE IN NOVEMBER!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27817
Pull List

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Announces All-Ages "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Comic"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:17:20 am »

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #1 is perfect for all ages

Hilarious! When I was a kid, we just had "The Avengers" comics with readers from Elementary school to College age. Now, in the advanced "future", they have a dumbed down version?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:51 am »

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes #1 is perfect for all ages

Hilarious! When I was a kid, we just had "The Avengers" comics with readers from Elementary school to College age. Now, in the advanced "future", they have a dumbed down version?

All you need is one angry parent to see something like (for example) the Hood's attack on Tigra in New Avengers  as "glorifying rape" and Marvel's screwed. If comics weren't so marginalized there'd of been incidents long before this.

Since kids dont read comics anymore, but do watch cartoons, it makes sense to do a comic based of the only version of the Avengers that a kid will ever see (at least 'til the movie comes out).

It will also help if it isn't as untraviolent and needlessly misogyonistic as the typical comic book can be.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:24:42 am »
They should just make 'em like they used to.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »
 Gotta agree with Kristopher.  Coming up, we all watched the same toons and read the same comics as our older siblings/parents, etc.  None of this diluting the material for the kiddies.  Any mainstream comic is, at best, going to be no harder than a soft pg-13; no profanity, nudity, very little bloodshed.  I don't get the need to have G-rated versions of the same characters.  That just seems like resources that could be used for the regular titles/productions.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
Gotta agree with Kristopher.  Coming up, we all watched the same toons and read the same comics as our older siblings/parents, etc.  None of this diluting the material for the kiddies.  Any mainstream comic is, at best, going to be no harder than a soft pg-13; no profanity, nudity, very little bloodshed.  I don't get the need to have G-rated versions of the same characters.  That just seems like resources that could be used for the regular titles/productions.

I kindof think some mainstream comics push the nudity point--you don't have to show private parts to be nudity;  perfectly placed smoke and stuff is still nudity.  Or we have the ever favorite thong shots.   (Of course, that stuff did show up in the 70s too, but art process is better and panels tend to be larger.)

That said, comics of the good old days of 60s through the 80s saw comics that were totally enjoyed by 10 year olds and 30 year olds.  The stories were interesting enough for adults but understandable to 10 year olds.  And what now takes 6 months to tell used to be told within 28 pages.   As a kid in the 70s, I didn't read the "kiddie" versions.   

Personally I think division is part of the downfall of coimcs.  Writers are writing for an older audience, and spreading out the story among 6 parts.  Then they write these dumbed down versions for kids.   5 and 6 year olds might read that, but they need books for the tween/young teen market, and those guys aren't going to read something that insults their intelligence.  And without that market, things look bleak, because most people don't start collecting as adults, they start as "10 year olds".

But one should note that this comic is the adaption of the TV show.  Like every other comic book adaption of a TV, whether it is Justice League Unlimited or this, they are always "lighter" than even the TV show.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 06:27:01 am »

I kindof think some mainstream comics push the nudity point--you don't have to show private parts to be nudity;  perfectly placed smoke and stuff is still nudity.  Or we have the ever favorite thong shots.   (Of course, that stuff did show up in the 70s too, but art process is better and panels tend to be larger.)

That said, comics of the good old days of 60s through the 80s saw comics that were totally enjoyed by 10 year olds and 30 year olds.  The stories were interesting enough for adults but understandable to 10 year olds.  And what now takes 6 months to tell used to be told within 28 pages.   As a kid in the 70s, I didn't read the "kiddie" versions.   

Personally I think division is part of the downfall of coimcs.  Writers are writing for an older audience, and spreading out the story among 6 parts.  Then they write these dumbed down versions for kids.   5 and 6 year olds might read that, but they need books for the tween/young teen market, and those guys aren't going to read something that insults their intelligence.  And without that market, things look bleak, because most people don't start collecting as adults, they start as "10 year olds".

But one should note that this comic is the adaption of the TV show.  Like every other comic book adaption of a TV, whether it is Justice League Unlimited or this, they are always "lighter" than even the TV show.

The good of days of the 80's saw for Marvel the creation of a creator owned Adult line: Epic Comics.  They did stuff like Wagner and Robert E. Howard adaptations, Starlin's Dreadstar and Alien Legion. D.C. followed suit with the Vertigo line later.

If anything real pubishing companies devide the product line between kids, Young Adults and their mainstream stuff.

It wouldn't hurt Marvel to do the same if anything they havent gone far enough in dividing thier product lines. 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:26:45 am »
<<The good of days of the 80's saw for Marvel the creation of a creator owned Adult line: Epic Comics.  They did stuff like Wagner and Robert E. Howard adaptations, Starlin's Dreadstar and Alien Legion. D.C. followed suit with the Vertigo line later.>>

The 80s were good, but as I understand things, the 70s sales were higher than the 80s.  Epic was mostly a failure--it didn't last all that long.  Alien Legion and Dredstar sold for a time, but they were sold as all-age books, by the stores. (I had no trouble buying them.)  Vertigo worked, but it wasn't the mainsteam DC stuff.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:25:02 am »
<<The good of days of the 80's saw for Marvel the creation of a creator owned Adult line: Epic Comics.  They did stuff like Wagner and Robert E. Howard adaptations, Starlin's Dreadstar and Alien Legion. D.C. followed suit with the Vertigo line later.>>

The 80s were good, but as I understand things, the 70s sales were higher than the 80s.  Epic was mostly a failure--it didn't last all that long.  Alien Legion and Dredstar sold for a time, but they were sold as all-age books, by the stores. (I had no trouble buying them.)  Vertigo worked, but it wasn't the mainsteam DC stuff.

By the 80's the market had changed. By then, you pretty much had to go to a comic store to get comics. In the 70's all you had to do was go to a newsstand. So sales were down accross the board.

Epic lasted a little over a decade and probably would have lasted way longer had Jim Shooter or Archie Goodwin still been around ( the line was thier baby).

Goodwin quit before Shooter got fired, IRRC.