Author Topic: Is Your Sandwich Making You Older?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Is Your Sandwich Making You Older?
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:51 am »
Is Your Sandwich Making You Older?
By RealAge

Turns out the type of sandwich fixing you choose could cause you to age faster. And the bread stuffing that really sticks it to you? Processed meat.

In a study, researchers found that people who ate the highest amount of processed meat -- think salami, pressed ham, and bologna -- showed the greatest signs of wear and tear in a key marker of cellular aging.

Telltale Telomeres
Yep, the people who ate the most processed meat had the shortest telomeres. Not a good thing, because telomeres are those tiny protective coverings on the ends of your DNA strands. The shorter they get, the older your body is on a cellular level -- and the wider the door opens to problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. In the study, the telomeres of the processed-meat lovers showed about 3.4 extra years of aging compared with those who ate the least processed meat.

A Processing Problem
What's so bad about processed meats? The trouble is that they tend to be packed with a whole bunch of bad things -- like saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol, nitrates, and nitrites -- all things believed to be linked to telomere-shortening inflammation. Still other studies have linked processed meat to higher risks of diabetes and even cancer. The healthiest approach to meat? Go lean, skinless, and whole -- such as sliced whole turkey breast. You want cuts that are as natural and unprocessed as possible.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Is Your Sandwich Making You Older?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:05:59 am »
The healthiest approach to meat? Go lean, skinless, and whole -- such as sliced whole turkey breast. You want cuts that are as natural and unprocessed as possible.

Good idea!  Thank Ms. Wandi!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:09:49 am »
What WONT kill you at this point?

I've lost count and it's getting to the point where I'm beginning to sympathize with the Health Nilhilists (eat whatever: you're gonna end up dead anyway) now.

If I can't even have a freaking hero, what's the point?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:12:42 am by Vic Vega »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:33 am »
What WONT kill you at this point?

I've lost count and it's getting to the point where I'm beginning to sympathize with the Health Nilhilists (eat whatever: you're gonna end up dead anyway) now.

;D ;D ;D
Yes, we're all gonna die, it's HOW we die that folks should be thinking about. Personally, I don't want to go out from a stroke or heart attack because I couldn't exercise some self control at the feeding trough.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
I buy a pound of deli roast beef everytime it's on sale, and put it on onion rolls with melted pepper-jack cheese and horseradish or A1. I wonder how that compares to bologney and american cheese on white bread?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:06:35 am by TripleX »

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:55 am »
I buy a pound of deli roast beef everytime it's on sale, and put it onion rolls with melted pepper-jack cheese and horseradish or A1. I wonder how that compares to bologney and american cheese on white bread?

I don't think it applies to beef in that form if IIRC.

Of course, you can all opt for the safety of my Boars Head pepper mill/Honey Glazed turkey and swiss cheese special.

Offline wade5392

• View Profile
    • iPhone 4 Case
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:25:29 am »
I read a great quote that goes like 'The whiter the bread the sooner you're dead'.

Pretty straight to the point, don't you think! Not only is that processed meat killing you (and your children) but so is the over processed white bread that you are eating it on.

I keep it simple; if my grandmother would recognize it then it is probably ok to eat.