Author Topic: Dr. Laura Apologizes for Shocking, N-Word Filled Radio Rant  (Read 18402 times)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Laura Apologizes for Shocking, N-Word Filled Radio Rant
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »
I'm waiting to hear not from you, but from Wise Son. The issue is to what extent people can maintain a sense of humor ... or not.  

You just don't get it, do you, Kike?  errrr....I mean, Mike!

:D :D :D :D

Well, Magic, I think the trust that's important any time you make jokes that play on otherwise offensive language is important here. Mike and I have exchanged a lot of personal messages as well as our discussions on the board, and I while we disagree on a load of things, I do trust him not to harbour racist thoughts, so I did interpret his remark through that. Basically, I have built up enough personal trust of Mike to not take that remark at face value, as I know he is not racist towards me, or towards Pakistanis, and is making a satirical remark on a commonly used British racist insult.

That said, of course, Mike should maybe think that not everyone reading this would have the same trust established with him, because they are viewing it in a very different context, and would not have that prism to view it through, so they might very well view it as offensive, without 'having a chip on their shoulder'.

I guess it's the same as the way my girlfriend, her brother and I all make a lot of jokes to each other that would appear horrendously racist on the surface, but we all know that we trust and respect each other, and don't harbour any of those views for real, so we would not make those jokes around other members of our respective families, who don't know us as well (well, her brother might, but that guy has a very... individual approach to social interaction. Cool guy, though.).

Thank you for clarifying, Wise.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Dr. Laura Apologizes for Shocking, N-Word Filled Radio Rant
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 04:18:42 am »
I'm waiting to hear not from you, but from Wise Son. The issue is to what extent people can maintain a sense of humor ... or not.  

You just don't get it, do you, Kike?  errrr....I mean, Mike!

:D :D :D :D

Well, Magic, I think the trust that's important any time you make jokes that play on otherwise offensive language is important here. Mike and I have exchanged a lot of personal messages as well as our discussions on the board, and I while we disagree on a load of things, I do trust him not to harbour racist thoughts, so I did interpret his remark through that. Basically, I have built up enough personal trust of Mike to not take that remark at face value, as I know he is not racist towards me, or towards Pakistanis, and is making a satirical remark on a commonly used British racist insult.

That said, of course, Mike should maybe think that not everyone reading this would have the same trust established with him, because they are viewing it in a very different context, and would not have that prism to view it through, so they might very well view it as offensive, without 'having a chip on their shoulder'.

I guess it's the same as the way my girlfriend, her brother and I all make a lot of jokes to each other that would appear horrendously racist on the surface, but we all know that we trust and respect each other, and don't harbour any of those views for real, so we would not make those jokes around other members of our respective families, who don't know us as well (well, her brother might, but that guy has a very... individual approach to social interaction. Cool guy, though.).

Thank you for clarifying, Wise.

Hey, it's what I'm here for!  ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo