Poll

Who Ya With?

Geeks
5 (100%)
Jocks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 07, 2011, 03:27:06 pm

Author Topic: Geeks or Jocks?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Geeks or Jocks?
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »
So... back in your school days, what group did you roll with?   ;)  By choice or by default?

Now... in your adult life, what group would you rather roll with?   8)

Bonus: How would you categorize Prez Obama?  He's got mad basketball skills.. But he is also very brainy..   :)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Geeks or Jocks?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 05:20:54 am »
Back in high school days, I was a theater geek by default.  Our school didn't have a track team and I didn't have enough bounce for the pompon squad.  Nowadays, I'm kind of an athletic geek, I reckon.  I mountain bike, I ski, I swim.  But I read books and dig intellectuals and still dabble in theater as well.  

AND I'm an OG on this site!

Define geek?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:23:18 am by Magic Wand »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:12 am »
In high school, I played chess, baseball, and saxophone in the jazz band. At MIT, I played baseball and basketball.
Guess I'm a 'tweener.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:52:44 am by Curtis Metcalf »
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:01:17 am »
In high school, I played chess, baseball, and saxophone in the jazz band.

You're my hero! ;D

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:05:22 am »
I guess I'd be a 'tweener, too.  In high school I played football, threw discus and shot put, played the trumpet in the band, and was a founding member of the computer and science clubs.    In college,  knee and ankle injuries dashed my big time football dreams, but I still played intra-murally and I majored in Information Systems. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:31 am »
I guess I'd be a 'tweener, too.  In high school I played football, threw discus and shot put, played the trumpet in the band, and was a founding member of the computer and science clubs.

You're my hero, too! ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:16 am »
Hmm lets see in high school my freshman and sophomore years I was a geek. It isn't embarrassing but actually sad when I think about it. I was at times the only male of color whom was in the honor roll.  :-[ Yes it was a predominately white school at my time but still I was the only one? Well it was no shame in my game because the rest of black students were girls so ya  ;D. Once my junior year came to be I wanted to prove my athletic skills. I played Football 2 years, try out for the baseball and was cut, ran indoor track, ran outdoor and quit the team. At the time I learned I ran a 4'4 in the 40 yard dash  :o. I could have trained seriously in football or track but actually I just didn't have the patience nor cared too much in being that "speedy black star" at a university.

In my adulthood I haven't done much of anything until recently. I'm geekier than ever where I have a painting of Batman, Robin, and Nightwing with the core villians of Batman. You'll see pic later. Currently as of last week I work out 6 days a week. 3 days cardio and 3 days weights. The seventh day I play basketball.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »
I rolled with both. Nobody cared about who was who. They all bought their weed from the same people anyway.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »
I was both. I was co-captain of the football team but played Dungeons and Dragons.  I was friends with my friends and had all of my friends backs.
I ventured into the courtyard followed by 52 brothers bruised battered and scarred but hard.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:12 pm »
Geek. I did all the music stuff in high school and junior high.

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:03:08 pm »
I was a smart jock.   played football, ran track, wrestled,  worked on the school paper, and was a perpetual honor roll student.    In college, found out most of the athletes were geeks too.   (comic books videogames, no dungeon and dragons stuff though
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:12 am »
I should point out that this is a board that is mostly visited by comics fans. I'm a geek, and geeks will merk this poll.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »
I should point out that this is a board that is mostly visited by comics fans. I'm a geek, and geeks will merk this poll.

Aren't you impressed by the number of folks who have replied with an athletic side?  I am.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:58:13 pm »

Aren't you impressed by the number of folks who have replied with an athletic side?  I am.
Yeah, it's cool. Some geeks sure can run. ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo