Author Topic: The Emmys: As White As Ever...by Regina King  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Emmys: As White As Ever...by Regina King
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:28 am »
from THE HUFFINGTON POST:

September 4, 2010   
Regina King

The Emmys: As White As Ever

Since the Emmy ceremony, I have been going back and forth about whether or not I should compose this letter. I try hard in my daily life not to engage in uncomfortable situations regarding race. But sometimes it's very difficult to find other reasons that better explain why certain events play out the way they do. It is impossible for me to ignore the published statistics regarding the number of people of color mentioned, celebrated or honored in the history of the televised Emmys. Up to and including this year, there have been only 53 non-white actors nominated for Emmys out of nearly 1,000 possible nominations in the top four acting categories for drama and comedy.

I've worked in television nearly all of my professional life, and that statistic is quite sobering to me. And to add injury to my already sensitive nerve endings a picture of Rutina Wesley from True Blood, who attended this year's Emmys, had a caption that read: "Regina King enters the 62nd Emmys." No, I wasn't there. Mistakes happen, right? Well after a few "mistakes" of how people of color are portrayed in the Hollywood media, I decided it was important to say something about how things go down in Hollywood.

The initial pull on my heart strings was not seeing the veteran Sesame Street actress Alaina Reed Hall included in this year's memoriam. I know I am taking it somewhat personally because of the history I shared with her, but then I stopped to think about the fact that she was on Sesame Street for 12 years, a show that is an American institution. People of all ages and generations have seen and enjoyed this highly influential television show. You have to admit, to not recognize her contribution to television baffles the mind. I first wondered, maybe I had turned my head quickly and missed seeing Alaina's picture scroll past the screen or she was mentioned later. But no such luck.

I am assuming other actors have lost someone close to them who weren't recognized during that segment of previous Emmy telecasts. So I will take the stats about people of color out of my complaint and pose an essential question on behalf of any television artist of note working in our business. What is the process in determining who will and will not be recognized during the Emmy memoriam?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Emmys: As White As Ever...by Regina King
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
>>Up to and including this year, there have been only 53 non-white actors nominated for Emmys out of nearly 1,000 possible nominations in the top four acting categories for drama and comedy.<<

since the beginning, only 53?????????

(well, don't they only nominate the same 10 people over and over and over and over again for a decade at a time?) 

well this is just another reason to add to why i don't watch the emmy's.  (of course the main reason is i care about this as much as I do about the oscars).

still, that's insane.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »
I tuned in and out of this year's show.. I like jimmy fallon but i'm not super-into him.. I guess it hadn't even occurred to me that this year was even more racially homogenous with the nominees.. some things come to mind-- the expansion of networks, fragmenting of audience.. why couldn't Tyler Perry's shows get nominations?  They've logged, what, 90+ episodes by now? Doesn't cable count?  I know the era of stuff like Jeffersons, Good Times, Cosby Show, 227, etc. being on NBC, ABC, CBS, is long over and it seems like an african-american sitcom can't get on the traditional big-3 networks.. even with Fox, having stuff like Roc, In Living Color, etc., early on, they've long-since settled for other stuff.. the WB merged with UPN for the CW, and after Everybody Hates Chris ended, have gone to a Fox-lite programming roster..
and when it comes to black actors in ensemble dramas like Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, CSI, the cop shows, I'm sure folks like McSteamy and their love interests get priority over the black cast members for acting nods.. and we remember what happened with the Isaiah Washington scandal..
Reality shows are another problem, since, of course, there are no "actors", technically (I know, I know..)  ;)

On the directing front, Mr. Reggie, who besides yourself gets regular work on the scripted shows?  I remember an Emmy show from years ago when a gentleman named Paris Barclay won for NYPD Blue...
For writers, i wonder how many black writers there are on shows where the core cast is not black?
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »
I didn't even know Ms. Hall passed away.

I have been seeing a disturbing trend with the memoriam sequences as well. How in the world do Rudy Ray Moore and even more EARTHA KITT not get recognition from the Oscars?

Offline Bashengas Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:32:05 pm »
Isn't one of the problems with the Emmy's is that in order to vote for certain shows you have to actually watch them?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Cosby Show only won TWO Emmys during it's entire run. It's especially insulting when you look at the shows that continually beat it out for the award.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:17 am »
I didn't even know Ms. Hall passed away.

I have been seeing a disturbing trend with the memoriam sequences as well. How in the world do Rudy Ray Moore and even more EARTHA KITT not get recognition from the Oscars?

i didnt know she had passed away, either.
wow. and SHE wasn't recognized.
that hurts my heart.
from Sesame Street to 227...she lived on the same block. (y'all cant tell me 227 wasnt done on the Sesame street set. lol)

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald40

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »
Regina King's article RE: The Emmys as White as Ever" is a poignant revelation of the status quo in Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general.  Some pundits would say Regina is "whinning" in a so-called "Post Racial Society.   However, those who would continue to keep black people, specifically, in the dark about their heritage and contributions to American culture would confuse you with that Point of View.  Just because our current President is of a darker hue, doesn't mean that racism has been eradicated from the consciousness of Americana.

One significant point I'd like to make in reference to Regina's last comment in her letter: "What is the process in determining who will and will not be recognized during the Emmy memoriam?"  You see, all voters for the Emmys must be a working professional in all TV catogories and a current member of the academy to vote.  In addition, the voter must have worked on a signatory company broadcast production within the last 5 years.

Since the majority of the voters are "white", there is no way a black themed or latino themed program could ever be nominated for an award.  That is why you never see quality black programs like the Essence Awards or the NAACP Image Awards nominated.  There aren't enough black members in the academy to vote on a program or a black director or below-the-line industry professional.  Most black productions that are produced on BET or a TV one or syndicated TV are not signatory to the Guilds.  Therefore, another "brick wall" that prevents national exposure of quality black programming.

You see, the racism is institutional.  Unless the institution and the rules are changed, we will forever see "The Emmys as White as Ever."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:44 am »
Regina King's article RE: The Emmys as White as Ever" is a poignant revelation of the status quo in Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general.  Some pundits would say Regina is "whinning" in a so-called "Post Racial Society.   However, those who would continue to keep black people, specifically, in the dark about their heritage and contributions to American culture would confuse you with that Point of View.  Just because our current President is of a darker hue, doesn't mean that racism has been eradicated from the consciousness of Americana.

One significant point I'd like to make in reference to Regina's last comment in her letter: "What is the process in determining who will and will not be recognized during the Emmy memoriam?"  You see, all voters for the Emmys must be a working professional in all TV catogories and a current member of the academy to vote.  In addition, the voter must have worked on a signatory company broadcast production within the last 5 years.

Since the majority of the voters are "white", there is no way a black themed or latino themed program could ever be nominated for an award.  That is why you never see quality black programs like the Essence Awards or the NAACP Image Awards nominated.  There aren't enough black members in the academy to vote on a program or a black director or below-the-line industry professional.  Most black productions that are produced on BET or a TV one or syndicated TV are not signatory to the Guilds.  Therefore, another "brick wall" that prevents national exposure of quality black programming.

You see, the racism is institutional.  Unless the institution and the rules are changed, we will forever see "The Emmys as White as Ever."

welcome to the HEF.
are you in the industry?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Reginald40

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:12:48 pm »
Yes, I am a freelance writer/producer/director in both the DGA and WGAw.  I work in the music variety and documentary genres.
Reginald D. Brown

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:27:42 pm »
Yes, I am a freelance writer/producer/director in both the DGA and WGAw.  I work in the music variety and documentary genres.
Reginald D. Brown

Welcome!  Glad to have you on board and chiming in!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:42 am »
Reginald D. Brown

I had a feeling.
:)
Welcome once again.
You will definitely fit it well here, sir.
Enjoy yourself.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 10:03:33 pm »
Sunday, 22nd September 2019
A look at the shows, actors and production teams who won at the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards
by Sara Aridi

“Game of Thrones” won best drama for the fourth time at the Emmy Awards on Sunday night, ending its eight-season run on a high note.

“Fleabag” took home four awards, including best comedy.

Read our overview of the night, get our TV critic’s take on the ceremony and see the best looks from the red carpet.

Billy Porter of “Pose” became the first openly gay man to win an Emmy for best lead actor in a drama.

Michelle Williams spoke out against the gender pay gap in Hollywood during her acceptance speech after winning an Emmy for her role in “Fosse/Verdon.”

The Emmys went without a host, but had the actor and comedian Thomas Lennon join as an announcer.

That didn’t go too well.

Patricia Arquette won an Emmy for her performance in “The Act” and called for equal rights for transgender people in a heartfelt speech about her sister, Alexis.

The major winners of the 71st annual Primetime Emmy Awards are listed below:

Best Comedy
“Fleabag” (Amazon)

Best Drama
“Game of Thrones” (HBO)

Best Limited Series
“Chernobyl” (HBO)

Best Actress, Comedy
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, “Fleabag”

Best Actor, Comedy
Bill Hader, “Barry”

Best Actress, Drama
Jodie Comer, “Killing Eve”

Best Actor, Drama
Billy Porter, “Pose”

Best Actress, Limited Series or TV Movie
Michelle Williams, “Fosse/Verdon”

Best Actor, Limited Series or TV Movie
Jharrel Jerome, “When They See Us”

Supporting Actress, Comedy
Alex Borstein, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Supporting Actor, Comedy
Tony Shalhoub, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Supporting Actress, Drama
Julia Garner, “Ozark”

Supporting Actor, Drama
Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones”

Supporting Actress, Limited Series or Movie
Patricia Arquette, “The Act”

Supporting Actor, Limited Series or Movie
Ben Whishaw, “A Very English Scandal”

Television Movie
“Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” (Netflix)

Variety Sketch Series
“Saturday Night Live” (NBC)

Variety Talk Series
“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver” (HBO)

Reality Competition Program
“RuPaul’s Drag Race” (VH1)

*Reality Host
RuPaul, “RuPaul’s Drag Race”

*Structured Reality Program
“Queer Eye” (Netflix)

*Unstructured Reality Program
“United Shades of America With W. Kamau Bell” (CNN)

*Guest Actress, Comedy
Jane Lynch, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

*Guest Actor, Comedy
Luke Kirby, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

*Guest Actress, Drama
Cherry Jones, “The Handmaid’s Tale”

*Guest Actor, Drama
Bradley Whitford, “The Handmaid’s Tale”

*Documentary or Nonfiction Series
“Our Planet” (Netflix)

*Animated Program
“The Simpsons” (Fox)

Writing for a Comedy Series
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, “Fleabag” (“Episode 1”)

Writing for a Drama Series
Jesse Armstrong, “Succession” (“Nobody Is Ever Missing”)

Writing for a Limited Series or Movie
Craig Mazin, “Chernobyl”

Writing for a Variety Series
“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver” (HBO)

Directing for a Comedy Series
Harry Bradbeer, “Fleabag” (“Episode 1”)

Directing for a Drama Series
Jason Bateman, “Ozark” (“Reparations”)

Directing for a Limited Series or Movie
Johan Renck, “Chernobyl”

Directing for a Variety Series
Don Roy King, “Saturday Night Live” (“Host: Adam Sandler”)