Author Topic: this week's stack  (Read 74678 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: this week's stack
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »
OK, Reggie & Marvelous; I bought New Avengers, if I don't like it you owe me 4 bucks plus tax.  :D

I got this Reg...I get a discount!   ;D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »
OK, Reggie & Marvelous; I bought New Avengers, if I don't like it you owe me 4 bucks plus tax.  :D

I got this Reg...I get a discount!   ;D

Ok; you're safe.  "Power Woman" haha.  I wonder if DC would complain.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »
WITCHFINDER - John Severin.  I dread the idea that I will never work with this master. 

SWEET TOOTH - Whole story told longways.  They are literally flipping the script.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN - I can't believe this story has never been told.  GREAT. 

SECRET WARRIORS - Well done story.

INVINCIBLE - Great twist.

WOLVERINE THE BEST THERE IS - Loving every issue so far.

IRREDEEMABLE - Continues to be a wonderfully creepy book.

BRIGHTEST DAY - Aqualad continues to shock.  I'm not a regular Aquaman reader, but this story has me into the character.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2011, 08:27:50 am »
Invincible--Yup--great twist, but whether I like it or not, I have to wait to see.

DC Universe Oneline Legends #1--at first I was going to skip this, but this was good.  Should have known it would be if Wolfman was writing.

Batman Beyond 2:  It has the feel of the old tv show; that's a plus.

Legion of super-heroes Annual 1:  Levitz and Giffen together again, but other than art, I wasn't too impressed.  But that could be because I was expecting something else.

Super-boy 4:  Nice twist.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »
WALKING DEAD - Yikes, getting ugly...but hella entertaining.

ULTIMATE CAPTAIN AMERICA - Great stuff.  Cap is great in every book he's in.

JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN - Wow this series is better than ever.

INCOGNITO - Ed delivering his usual greatness.

FRENEMY OF THE STATE - Loving this book with every issue.

HEROES FOR HIRE - Still loving this book.

BPRD HELL ON EARTH/GODS - It's amazing how this storyline is still entertaining.

PUNISHER MAX - I don't know if I've been following this series or not but I dig it now.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:44 am »
Bought alot this week; so I haven't finished reading it all but so far:

Legion of Super-heroes:  final leg in Durlan assassins storyline so I needto read it as a whole.  But one question mark in my head; Legion let's the fans vote for the team leader and I get the impression that the fans picked the last guy they wanted--Mon-el.  It feels like they wanted him to leave and become GL full-time, but now he is stuck.  (And his. GL costume is boring, as boring as Tyroc's.)

Thunderbolts--had to buy this month's and last month's.  They had a villain I never wanted to see again-King Hyperion and then they had fake Godzilla, fake Rodan, fake Angilous (sp wrong) and fake giant lobster that Godzilla killed.

DC Universe Online 2:  still a good read.

GL Corps and GL:  STOP THE EPIC STORIES!!!  (I pick these up for a friend.)

Brightiest Day 20:  a) read above b) but at least the end feels near.  But Aqualad shined. 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 10:13:02 am »
This Week:

FF Final Issue.  On one level, the first story was powerful without any words being used.  I especially like how Thor and Hulk help Ben deal with the grief.  (Interesting how they all deal with it.)  But on the other hand, there were a few scenes (like between Reed and Annihlus) that I wanted words.  My only complaint is though the second story was good, I'd wish the first story was longer.

Star Wars Legacy: War 3:  OK, I want to know what the bad guy has planned.

Teen Titans 92--Ah, the Right Robin is now on the Team, but I think I will miss the shrimp Robin.

Captain America 615--solid, but need to read the whole trial in one setting; even though it really isnt over.

Ultimate Spider-man 154--No bad words, this series has consitently been worth the read for 154 issues plus annuals.  Too bad it just doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the Ulimate Universe books.  Rumors are running that Marvel is getting read to close the book on this UU and restart with a new one.  Don't know how I feel about that.  But if they kill spidey for real...maybe I won't care if this UU ends.

Ultimate Doom 3:  Mostly get ready for the big battle.  Reed von Doom?!?  This is a perfect example of what I mean that Ult Spidey doesn't fit the rest of the UU; I feel like the Johnny in this book is a completely different Johnny than in USM, especillly with the different hair color.  but Ulitmate Doom is still a good read.

Secret Avengers 10--Ha; Being bulletproof doesn't count for much against Asguardian steel.  Good ending.  Curious of where this is all going.

Avengers 10--Not too much happened, but a good read still.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
Picked up the All Star Superman Movie, no comics this week interested me.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »
Fellas,

I know its been a while, but I'm back. Still buying comics, but not spending more than $20.00 a week and even then I may be a few weeks behind or miss some books when they come out orginally. 5 picks for this week.

5. hereos for Hire#4- I love DNA( Don Abnett and Andy Lanning) and I love what they have done on this book but this is probably my least favorite issue to date. Too get me wrong its still good but the action was slower this issue because this is the big reveal where Misty Knight finally figures out she has been asleep and the Puppet Master has been manipulating her. Its necessary to move the story forward but not terribly interesting to read.

4. Green Lantern#63- I'm not really sure what the War of the Green Lanterns is about in that I'm not sure which Green Lanterns will be fighting each other or why but this was a good prologue issue that included a lot of background info on Krona( not sure how much retroconning has been done though). Looking forward to what comes next.

3. Secret Warriors#25- This is still a good series, but this issue slowed down everything for me. Basically we go back in time and see a crossover with Hickman's other title S.H.E.I.L.D. and it shows how characters in this title are connnected but we don't see any action which is a let down after the past 3 issues.

2. Brightest Day#21- The cover with J'onn Jones on fire is dope and it pretty spells out the end of his story arc in this maxi-series as he confronts the murderous Martian female and takes her into the sun with him. I've enjoyed this title and I'm curious to see what happens next.

1. Secret Avengers# 10- This was a great conclusion! I loved the  action and fight scenes especially when Steve Rogers attacked John Steele. Can't wait to reread the whole story arc in one sitting.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 10:29:20 am »
XOMBIE #1 - glad to see one of my favorite Milestone series return.  Stunned by the choice of not really explaining much, just plunging into an adventure.  Is that new reader friendly?  Art is beautiful. 

THUNDERBOLTS#155 - Continues to be a good book. The concept of this team makes it inherently more interesting than most other books, because no one is really trustworthy.

UNCANNY X FORCE #5 - The only X book I read.  Great art, tight stories. 

ULTIMATE AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES #2 - I love that Mark Millar makes the most out of a simple premise.  Art is incredible. Black Hulk's British accent throws me, but otherwise a lot of fun.

IRON MAN #502 - Fraction continues to write a great book.  Love the art here too. 

IRON MAN 2.0 #2 - I think the problem with all the War Machine series is that Rhodey isn't that interesting, compared to Stark. The man really makes the suit.  That said, I'm enjoying this.  But I don't think he's going to maintain a series until he gets more intriguing as a person.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:38 am »
NEW AVENGERS #11 - Great straight forward story. Some one gets shot.  The whole thing smells like a set up.  Egos are hurt because of who beat their ass.  All simple ideas that resonate.

IRON MAN 2.0 - New armor....long overdue, even if some of the abilities are a little silly to me.

PUNISHER MAX - Very well done book.

THUNDER AGENTS - also digging this book.  And look at that cover!

AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES - Fantastic, as always.

JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN - Loving this book every week. I have no idea where it's going...yay!

UNCANNY X FORCE - Still the only X book I can read.  And the best X book since NEW X MEN, although they are nothing alike. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 06:56:09 am »
UNCANNY X FORCE - Still the only X book I can read.  And the best X book since NEW X MEN, although they are nothing alike. 

Not digging X-Factor?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 06:57:58 am »

Not digging X-Factor?
I was following it in the trades.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:31 pm »
AVENGERS #12 was so satifying as a comic, it's crazy.  Damn good.

INVINCIBLE #79 continues to be a very interesting read.

GREEN LANTERN #65 the whole colors thing keeps paying big iconic dividends in this book. 

FABLES #104 is a mighty fine read.

UNCANNY X FORCE is still one of the best comics a person can buy.  Writing and art are superb.

IRON MAN #503 is fun, but the back up story is the real treasure.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2011, 09:00:23 am »
Iron Man 2.0 #4 was a little odd as Rhodey doesn't even appear in the comic.  seriously. Great art by Ariel Olivetti, though..

Thunderbolts #156 is  a co-favorite title of mine with New Avengers..  Satana adds a new unpredictability and sexiness that I like..  (and there's a part where she... you have to read it)

and Tom Brevoort answers an inquiry of mine.. kind of..
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32000
Finally, to go out with a question on the Avenger we all accept as one of the team now is Hypestyle who's query made me laugh out loud: "Dear Mr. Brevoort: I see Luke Cage occasionally depicted with an earring.. so is it safe to presume that it is a clip-on, or he got a piercing done with a vibranium needle?"

Brevoort: I donít think a vibranium needle would have done the job, Hypestyle -- it would have had to have been adamantium at least. (Or Luke may have had his ears pierced before he got his steel-hard skin -- that works, too.)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:08:36 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.