Author Topic: Smallville: Homecoming  (Read 3359 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Smallville: Homecoming
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:12:35 pm »
The 200 episode of Smallville; probably the best episode I've seen in 5 seasons.

This is what the show has missed--Superman is about hope, not brooding, not doubt; Superman is Superman because Clark is "better than us".  And the show forgot that.  This episode, brought back the hope.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Smallville: Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »
who was the "Raknid" license plate guy that showed up?

...I'm vaguely disappointed that they didn't just get a new actor for Brainiac-5, since normally he's not simply the reincarnation of the villain..

..and was it retconned that Lois very briefly attended the high school?

..No Pete Ross?  Oh, well...

...so in this future, Lois already knows the secret..?

(side note-- even though it served the plot, I found it vaguely disturbing that Lois would cold-cock an innocent just to avoid them seeing 'the Blur')..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:23:15 pm »
Actually she cold-cocked him to keep him from seeing Superman.

Raknid--Bug Boy from season 1???

Brainiac--for some reason, TV legion likes Brainaic 5 as a robot. Even the cartoon version of LOSH, made him a robot for nearly the entire run. (Yeah, part of me said, Isn't he supposed to be Green?  But I think using the same actor just made it easier for general audience to realize who it was.) And originally they planned for Clark to fight a villain, but decided the show didn't need it.

As far as Lois, yes Smallville did introduce her in Clark's senior year, where she found out she was a credit or two short and had to attend Smallville High for a short-time.

And even in comics, Clark did tell her his secret before they got married, so it could be in that time period.  (Though I kept expecting Clark to see a ring on her finger.)

Pete, I have heard they are trying get "Lana" and "Lex" back for an episode, but no one's mention Pete.  But that is typical, even for comic Pete.

Offline masigl4179

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »
I really enjoyed this episode too and the one before it featuring the return of Supergirl as well

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »
The comments here reflect my feelings too. Smallville has been stuck in a character limbo for too long until now, unable to do anything too bad that will mean him not becoming Superman, but unable to take any of the steps into heroism that would make him Superman.

All that's been left is the kind of emo martyrdom that's characterised him for the previous seasons, and I did like that they addressed that directly, and forced him out of it in the Homecoming episode. He is starting to, frankly, grow up a bit, and move towards the hero he should be, and the way they're writing Lois in this change, as she supports and pushes him towards it, is actually pretty great.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:40:50 am »
so who watched the finale and what did you think of it?

spoilers*

Jonathan Kent retuns as a ghost/jor-el prompted illusion/hallucination, helping clark along at key points.. a flashback sequence finally enables Clark to fly..

I thought it was decent, I wanted more of a fight with clark and darkseid/Lionel, the climax was kind of silver-age simplistic (superman pushes the approaching Apokolips back into space.. presumably away from the solar system.. hopefully it doesn't crash into any other planets along the way  ;))

..no cameo from j'onn jonzz.. no pete ross (i guess the actor's in jail?)..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:08:21 am »
I liked it, but could have been better.  But it kept with tradition, the battle is minimized (probably due to special effect costs) and soap opera gets the emphasis. 

Wish we got to see a close-up of TW in the costume.  It was all cgi and small.

But they used the Superman movie music and you can't go wrong with thatt.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
I have to admit that was cheap and lazy by not having him in an actual suit or even him standing there in pose with the suit.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:33:28 am »
Finally saw the finale. Like much of Smallville, during its entire run, it was uneven. The first half was really unnecessary angst but the second hour was pretty good.

The first half, the well they or won't they get married, was totally negated by Clark and Lois waiting seven years after the "Finale" episode to get married. Why so long? Also, I understand why they opened with a comic book, a la the first Superman movie, but it didn't make sense within the story. If it had been a Superman comic as opposed to a Smallville comic that would've made more sense. As it stands, there's a comic book out there with pretty good likenesses of Clark and his friends, which blows apart his secret identity.

The second half was much better. It was great seeing the Luthors again. It didn't make much sense that Lex could clone everything, but a heart. Why not just use an artificial heart? However, it was cool seeing Darkseid rip out Lionel's heart. I thought it was a fitting end for him, though the zombie thing was unnecessary. Also, I don't know what happened with the Bow of Orion and why that didn't play a role in defeating Darkseid (unless it was the bow that Green Arrow used to defeat his minions). I think Clark spent too much time visiting people and talking when he knew that the planet was in orbit. I was like, come on, stop chatting and get to it. It would've been nice to intersperse those scenes with the Justice League in action and seeing how people were being driven crazy or given into their darker impulses the closer the planet got. As it stands, I didn't understand the purpose of Apokolips coming to Earth. Was it the prelude to invasion? Was it going to crash into Earth? What happened to the Boomtubes? As much as I liked seeing Apokolips, perhaps it would've been better to use the Boomtubes and parademons.

I thought the John Schneider scenes were giving us too much of a good thing and Clark's video montage in the middle of a fight with Darkseid was odd. Lex's flashback scenes was better done and really reminded you of what drove him. I did like Jor-El's summation of Clark's journey at the end and when Jonathan handed him the suit, it was great. I wish we had got more and better shots of Clark in the suit. Granted, Smallville kept to its traditions of keeping the fights too short. Taking out Darkseid with one punch and then taking care of Apokolips in two seconds, but I still liked it when he zipped through Metropolis and up into space to take it on. The jump to the future was cool, hearing Perry White and seeing the real Jimmy Olsen. (Why Chloe would allow a quiver of arrows in her son's room made little sense; perhaps calling him Roy or Connor would've been a better way to insinuate that it's Oliver's son). I also liked the John Williams theme to close it out.