Author Topic: BET's top 10 Rappers of the 21st century  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
BET's top 10 Rappers of the 21st century
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »
http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/top10rappers/default.htm

hosted by Big Tigger, and featuring a bunch of folks that I don't recognize at all (except for Jermaine Dupri), purportedly based on an online poll that was at BET.com in the past couple of months..
part of the criteria was that their first LP had to come out in 1999 or later...

hmm... I'm not all that enthused with some of the results.. pretty much all very mainstream-accepted acts, for one thing.. no indie, etc.

No political rap, unless you isolate certain individual songs from some folks..

I'll stand by Eminem's place, for whatever its worth, his overall sales trump the others.. but Kanye should be above Lil' Wayne, at least.. Ludacris should be above T.I.. why is Rick Ross in the top 10? Gah..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
Re: BET's top 10 Rappers of the 21st century
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »
Where is Fabolous?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:35:39 am »
So, was record sales the only thing that mattered? When you look at the entire 11 years, I'm a little surprised Jay-Z isn't on the list, same with Lil'John, Eve, Outkast, Missy, Nelly, or Snoop Dogg. Maybe the Roots, Trick Daddy, Busta Rhymes, or Common. Perhaps they would be on a top 20 list.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:41:08 am »
http://www.bet.com/OnTV/BETShows/top10rappers/default.htm

hosted by Big Tigger, and featuring a bunch of folks that I don't recognize at all (except for Jermaine Dupri), purportedly based on an online poll that was at BET.com in the past couple of months..
part of the criteria was that their first LP had to come out in 1999 or later...

hmm... I'm not all that enthused with some of the results.. pretty much all very mainstream-accepted acts, for one thing.. no indie, etc.

No political rap, unless you isolate certain individual songs from some folks..

I'll stand by Eminem's place, for whatever its worth, his overall sales trump the others.. but Kanye should be above Lil' Wayne, at least.. Ludacris should be above T.I.. why is Rick Ross in the top 10? Gah..

Rick Ross last two albums were damn near classics. Three out of four of his cd's debuted at number 1.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:44:25 am »
So, was record sales the only thing that mattered? When you look at the entire 11 years, I'm a little surprised Jay-Z isn't on the list, same with Lil'John, Eve, Outkast, Missy, Nelly, or Snoop Dogg. Maybe the Roots, Trick Daddy, Busta Rhymes, or Common. Perhaps they would be on a top 20 list.

Your debut album had to be released after 1999, Jay-Z, Lil'John, Eve, Outkast, Missy, Nelly, Snoop Dogg, the Roots, Trick Daddy, Busta Rhymes and Common don't qualify.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:48:04 pm »
Terrible list...half of those dudes suck  :(
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:59:18 am »

Your debut album had to be released after 1999, Jay-Z, Lil'John, Eve, Outkast, Missy, Nelly, Snoop Dogg, the Roots, Trick Daddy, Busta Rhymes and Common don't qualify.

Thanks, but I thought that Eminem came out before 1999 didn't he?  I thought he dropped around 1998?When did Lil'Wayne come out? I know he was with Cash Money in the late 90s, but when did his solo debut hit the streets? If anything the title or a disclaimer should have reflected that they meant artists that had just came out in the new century.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »

Thanks, but I thought that Eminem came out before 1999 didn't he?  I thought he dropped around 1998?When did Lil'Wayne come out? I know he was with Cash Money in the late 90s, but when did his solo debut hit the streets? If anything the title or a disclaimer should have reflected that they meant artists that had just came out in the new century.

Eminem had an indie cd in '95 and an ep in '98 but his major label debut was on Dre's Aftermath in 1999..."The Slim Shady LP". Yeah I know they cheated, but folks try to bend over backwards to make him Number 1.

Wayne's solo debut was "The Block Is Hot" in '99.