Author Topic: Et Tu, Big Bang Theory?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Et Tu, Big Bang Theory?
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:35:23 am »
from PETER DAVID.NET:

Et Tu, Big Bang Theory?
An Open Letter to Doctor Raj Koothrappali:

Dear Doctor–

As a former writer of “Aquaman,” I must take issue with your continued diatribes and dismissal of the King of the Sea in last week’s episode, “The Justice League Recombination.”

I believe now the same thing that I believed during my four years of close association with him. Aquaman is one of the most versatile heroes in the whole of the DC Universe. The vast majority of superheroes are restricted to operating on a mere one quarter of the planet. (Those who fly use that ability primarily as a means of transporting themselves from one point on land to another.) Aquaman, by contrast, can function not only on land, but in the remaining three quarters of the surface that’s covered by water. Drop Aquaman in the middle of Gotham City with nothing but the clothes on his back, and he’ll be fine. Drop Batman in the middle of shark-infested waters or off the Marianas Trench, and you’re not going to hear from him again.

Furthermore, it is absurd to sneer at his ability to command sea life. Do you really want to diss and dismiss someone who, if he felt like it, could put an end to mankind’s access to the oceans? How many ships do you think could stand up to concentrated assault by organized, infuriated blue whales or giant squids? How would seaside resorts fare if no one dared go bounding in the surf because sharks and jellyfish were attacking anyone setting foot in the ocean because someone had instructed them to do so?

Is this really someone you want to piss off? Really? The fact that you would prefer to have dressed as Wonder Woman than the sea king says less about Aquaman than it does about your own gender issues.

Not to mention that at a point in comics history where Clark Kent went to sometimes elaborate efforts to keep Lois at arm’s length, while the only person so-called playboy Bruce Wayne had ever been shown sharing a bed with was Dick Grayson, Arthur Curry was married to a smoking hot red-head. Aquaman wouldn’t have to think he’s drunk in order to chat up Summer Glau, if you get my meaning.

Or, to put it in a way that you might more easily be able to relate:

Aquaman totally does not suck. Anytime you want me to come out there and debate it with you, I’m on the next plane, dude. And by the way, you are totally the sidekick, not the main hero. Because there’s no way that the main hero can’t talk to women. “Quickly, Ratman! This woman knows the villain’s entire scheme! Question her!” (Petrified silence)

Just sayin’.
PAD

Offline Greg

• View Profile
Re: Et Tu, Big Bang Theory?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:18:19 am »
BRAVO ALL THE WAY!!!!

I wish people would drop the Aquaman hate. Never made any sense to me.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:17:03 am »
BRAVO ALL THE WAY!!!!

I wish people would drop the Aquaman hate. Never made any sense to me.

Part of it is the fault of Super-Friends.  Wonder Woman had Lynda Carter to make her cool;  and Superman is well, more famous than the Super-friends.  Same with Batman.  Then there was the weakness of Aquaman--he has to be in water once every sixty minutes;  practically speaking, that doesn't work well if one spends most of his time on land fighting villains.  (If I remember right, Peter David kept Aquaman in the seas most of the time.

But most of all--it's the bright ORANGE shirt and Green pants.  No body can take anyone seriously in those colors.  (Why do you think Hercules never had the sucess of Thor?)  Seriously, Super-heroes should not wear ORANGE!!!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:57:27 am »
ALL OF IT is the fault of the Super Friends.

See in those cartoon the heroes couldn't hit anybody for fear of kids emulating violent behavior.

So the Super Friends had to rely on super feats to show off thier powers.
And as far as the writers were concerned the only powers Aquaman had was breathing underwater and talking to fish.

So you had Superman lifting planes, trains and what not. You had Wonder Woman Flying around in her Invisible Jet
lifting planes and trains too. Then you had Batman and Robin driving around in thier cool car and using thier gadjets.

What did Aquaman have?

A jet ski.

So while both Batman (who also had a car) and Wonder Woman both had planes this poor sucker had bargain basement transportation.

Then because the writers only thought he had two powers, he had to call fishes to do anything.

If he was tied up he'd have to call sawfish to saw his ropes off.

If he has to move something heavy, he'd call a whale and have it move it for him.

If he was on land he couldn't do any of that so he's have to call the rest of the Superfriends to help him.

Even as little kids it occurs to you that the comic relief characters Wendy or Marvin could have done
the same damn thing with with a quarter and the Hall Of Justice's telephone number.  

"Hey Superman move this heavy thing for me will you? Thanks!"

The power to get other people to do your work for you isn't that specal when you are a little kid.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:07:14 am by Vic Vega »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »
I read through the Peter David blog and had to add "this reminds me of the old saying, 'If you have to explain why you are cool then you're not."  Or maybe I should have wrote, "if you have to prove you're not lame, you are."

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »
Great argument. I think Aquaman has been underappreciated. Nobody appreciates the sea life except for maybe James Cameron.

This is why the team isn't called the Super Friends anymore. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY!  >:(
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?