Author Topic: NYC School Chancellor Joel Klein resigns  (Read 3845 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NYC School Chancellor Joel Klein resigns
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:07:28 am »
http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2010/11/joel-kleins-resignation-its-about-time.html

Good riddance to this opportunistic lowlife!

You SURE about that J.S.?

Cathie Black, Silver's replacement is even LESS qualified to be New York City School Chancellor than Klein was.

At least Klein has braniac cred as an big shot anti-trust lawyer.

All Cathie Black's done was run Herst Publishing.

How that makes you a good fit for the Chancellor position is beyond me.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2010/11/joel-kleins-resignation-its-about-time.html

Cathie Black, Silver's replacement is even LESS qualified to be New York City School Chancellor than Klein was.

Black being chosen as Klein's replacement is indicative that Bloomberg really believes he owns this city and is above the law.

It is "ILLEGAL" to have a non-educator as the chancellor of the NYC public school system. They waived this requirement once and the result was the debacle known as Joel Klein. Now Bloomberg has chosen another non-educator to be chancellor and he didn't even consult the State about it. Of course, he probably bought off the usual suspects as to ensure that yet another law is subverted to promote his will.

If Michael Mulgrew waasn't a sellout he would demand that Black not be confirmed as Chancellor, I would like to see Weiner and the Working Families party weigh in on this as well.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »

Black being chosen as Klein's replacement is indicative that Bloomberg really believes he owns this city and is above the law.

It is "ILLEGAL" to have a non-educator as the chancellor of the NYC public school system. They waived this requirement once and the result was the debacle known as Joel Klein. Now Bloomberg has chosen another non-educator to be chancellor and he didn't even consult the State about it. Of course, he probably bought off the usual suspects as to ensure that yet another law is subverted to promote his will.

If Michael Mulgrew waasn't a sellout he would demand that Black not be confirmed as Chancellor, I would like to see Weiner and the Working Families party weigh in on this as well.

One of the problems here is that the Chancellor job is so politicized, nobody who is qualified wants the job if he/she has has any sense.

Cortines feuded with Guliani. Crew was ousted by the then Board Of Ed (now Dept. Of Ed.). Levy was the only other guy who left on anything NEAR his own terms.

You could argue that the job ITSELF killed Dr. Richard Green (or NYC air pollution, depending on how you look at stuff).

If your entire tenure as chancellor is going to be spent dealing with lawsuits from various labor unions, you might as well hire a Laywer for the job.

An pure academic with educational experience will end only up getting screwed. Only a rich dude with an agenda to promolgate would have any patience for this stuff.

Not to mentioned anybody doing the job right IMO, will end up hated by everyone Parents, Teachers, Kids, The Mayor-everybody.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 03:24:35 pm »

One of the problems here is that the Chancellor job is so politicized, nobody who is qualified wants the job if he/she has has any sense.

Cortines feuded with Guliani. Crew was ousted by the then Board Of Ed (now Dept. Of Ed.). Levy was the only other guy who left on anything NEAR his own terms.

You could argue that the job ITSELF killed Dr. Richard Green (or NYC air pollution, depending on how you look at stuff).

If your entire tenure as chancellor is going to be spent dealing with lawsuits from various labor unions, you might as well hire a Laywer for the job.

An pure academic with educational experience will end only up getting screwed. Only a rich dude with an agenda to promolgate would have any patience for this stuff.

Not to mentioned anybody doing the job right IMO, will end up hated by everyone Parents, Teachers, Kids, The Mayor-everybody.

I remember when Dr. Green was selected as Chancellor; it was a very proud moment for all of us Black students, even more we had the honor of Dr. Green coming to our Jr. high. It was unbelievable when it was announced that he died from an asthma attack.

To the issue at hand there are a few viable candidates that would be willing to do the job.

Dr. Diane Ravitch- Ravitch is emminently qualified, she works right here at Columbia University and has proven with her support and later criticism of NCLB that she is capable of making hard decisions.

Dr. Manning Marable- Another highly qualified individual who works in NYC at Columbia ( I better get a scholarship for this promotion) his work connecting the Prison Indisutrial complex to inequities in education fits NY perfectly.

Klein and Bloomberg are creating a maelstrom for the next Chancellor and Mayor to deal with in regard to education but there are 2 factors that will help their successors.

Critical Mass- More and more people have been exposed to the reality that NYC is for sale and that privatizing public schools is another means of grabbing prime real estate in this city. Couple that with the scandal that is test fraud just waiting for some ambitous politician to push during an election year.

Politics- Bloomberg has made a lot of enemies and even though he has bought support and bought off dissent, there are several powerful people left in his wake that are looking for payback. The Comptroller, Attorney General, or State head of education may look to serve subpoenas and use Bloomberg and Klein as a stepping stone to power.

The fraudulent data used to promote the expansion of charter schools, school closings, no bid contracts etc. is too much to ignore.

P.S. Vic, I think you better get close to Pastor Manning at ATLAH. From what I've read Black's mission is to push the Charter school movement full bore and buy up that prime Harlem real estate in the guise of school reform.

You have a college degree, Vega academic institute might be yours in the near future.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:36 am »
Trey Ellis, my friend and a parent with children in the NYC public school system, weighs in on the appointee for chancellor.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:53 pm »
Trey Ellis, my friend and a parent with children in the NYC public school system, weighs in on the appointee for chancellor.

While I agree with Ellis's assertion that it is absurd and insulting that Black was chosen, his comments on the qualifications of Duncan and Rhee is strange given the context of the article.

Arne Duncan is nearly as unqualified to be Secretary of Education as Black is to be NYC schools chancellor. Duncan has never been an educator in any capacity. His tenure as the head of the Chicago school system was a complete disaster. In fact, Duncan's legacy is so bad that the Chicago school system still hasn't recovered. His privatization movement with Renassaince 2000 is a further indictment as well.

Michelle Rhee is a complete product of corporate fiction. The woman did nothing of note in San Francisco whatsoever. The "Miracles" she accomplished there are in her own mind and can't be corrobarated in any capacity. Her term in D.C. speaks for itself as it can be summed up in these terms. Mass firings, anti-teacher/anti-teachers union propaganda, which was culminated with her QUITTING on the children of D.C.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:55 am »
There is considerable divergence of views on both Mr. Duncan and Ms. Rhee. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. I'm not interested in defending either beyond noting that both of their situations seem more complex to me than your representation.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »
There is considerable divergence of views on both Mr. Duncan and Ms. Rhee. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. I'm not interested in defending either beyond noting that both of their situations seem more complex to me than your representation.

Who are these people with "Divergent" views who don't have a financial attachment to Duncan and Rhee's corporate backers?

The more I learn about Duncan and Rhee, the more despicable they become.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »
So the compromise to get Ms Black installed involves her having a real educator as her second in command.

One woners why he was not chosen for the post from the  get go. Bloomberg suffers from a particularly bizarre version of Prodistant work ethics where he assumes that wealth equals not just virtue but expertise as well.

As a result this man truly belives that rich people are qualified to run stuff they know nothing about.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 06:44:22 pm »
So the compromise to get Ms Black installed involves her having a real educator as her second in command.

One woners why he was not chosen for the post from the  get go. Bloomberg suffers from a particularly bizarre version of Prodistant work ethics where he assumes that wealth equals not just virtue but expertise as well.

As a result this man truly belives that rich people are qualified to run stuff they know nothing about.

Emperor Bloomberg has made a fatal mistake.

When people saw this 66 year old millionaire who hasn't shown any interest in education for her entire life; suddenly being elevated to chancellor they finally woke up. This debacle will now be coupled with massive job layoffs in the coming months.

Black can't even schedule events publicly for fear of the sort of demonstrations that have taken place over the past 3 weeks. I will pay to see the Church showdowns that are bound to take place as Bloomberg seeks to get his money's worth from pulpit pimps like Floyd Flake and Calvin Butts who he has bought off for years.

Charles Barron has set the ball rolling into investigations into rampant test fraud and grade inflation.

Let the games begin!