Author Topic: Don't let me find out there's a cure for AIDS  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Don't let me find out there's a cure for AIDS
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:29 am »
from BYRON CRAWFORD:

Don't let me find out there's a cure for AIDS

via www.huffingtonpost.com

Bill Hicks once famously predicted that there'd be f*cking in the street the day a cure for AIDS was announced. Let's hope that he was right. Because it looks like science might be on to something.

Doctors in Berlin (which is in Germany) claim to have cured a man of HIV by replacing his stem cells with stem cells that are immune to HIV. Or something to that effect. All of the science I don't understand (via Elton John). I'm just waiting for the day when you can bang any ol' skank, and worst case scenario you might get something you can get a shot for.

It's about to be on like Donkey Kong.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Don't let me find out there's a cure for AIDS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 10:05:38 am »
interesting..

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20101215/hiv-aids-cure-faq

well, if this pans out long term for the patient (5, 10, 20 years from now with no risky behaviors), God bless him.. but it seems to be an extremely elaborate-- and likely expensive-- process that was conducted, and part of it involves very rare cellular mutations that are resistant to the HIV virus..

The mutation that confers HIV resistance is relatively rare -- it's found in fewer than 2% of Americans and Western Europeans, in some 4% of Scandinavians, and is not present in Africans.

this is especially troubling concerning people of african descent where there are exponentially higher rates of infection.. This case bears studying, though..
Be Kind to Someone Today.