Author Topic: Battle:LA - Off the chain!!!  (Read 7239 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Battle:LA - Off the chain!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:53 am »
Ugh!
Finally saw this.
What a snooze!
Glad I waited fro the dollar fifty show.
:-\

I agree!
I almost dozed off on certain scenes and got a headache from the shaky-cam on others.  That's why I rated it 2/5.  Any lower and the movie would be an abomination.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 11:07:42 pm »
Wow, this thread was resurrected??? Anyway, a snooze it was not. I guess it just wasn't your kind of movie.  ;)  It was in the number one spot for a week or so. Not saying it was the best action movie and it wasn't full of flaws, but it definitely was a decent action flick.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:30 am »
Wow, this thread was resurrected??? Anyway, a snooze it was not. I guess it just wasn't your kind of movie.  ;)  It was in the number one spot for a week or so. Not saying it was the best action movie and it wasn't full of flaws, but it definitely was a decent action flick.

Actually, Battle: LA IS my kind of movie.

Are you kidding me?   This movie was riddled with character flaws and shallow cliches. 
Sure, there was a lot of action and fanatastic visual effects but that was all there was to it to push the plot clock into the finale.  Otherwise, I was left thinking Battle: LA appeared just as I agreed your original post
... it felt as If I was watching a Marines recruitment video attached to a schlocky Hollywood sci-fi movie.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 08:49:05 am »

Are you kidding me?   This movie was riddled with character flaws and shallow cliches. 
Sure, there was a lot of action and fanatastic visual effects but that was all there was to it to push the plot clock into the finale.  Otherwise, I was left thinking Battle: LA appeared just as I agreed your original post
... it felt as If I was watching a Marines recruitment video attached to a schlocky Hollywood sci-fi movie.

Totally agreeing with Battle on this one.  It was the LONGEST ad for the Marines I've seen.
NOTHING new or interesting about the aliens.  We've seen it ALL before!  It was BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

I'm a big fan of of epic "save the world" type films.  THIS definitely wasn't one of them.  It was a whack waste of my time.

Independence Day and Armageddon remain comfortably at the top of my favorites list.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

michaelintp

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 11:21:26 pm »
Ugh!
Finally saw this.
What a snooze!
Glad I waited fro the dollar fifty show.
:-\

Wandi, from your comments, and some of the others above, I put two and two together ...

Finally realized what "off the chain" means ...

Have you ever seen a toilet bowl flapper, off the chain ...

... and what you're left with when you try to flush ...?   ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 04:38:03 am »
*sigh*

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 01:30:20 am »

Are you kidding me?   This movie was riddled with character flaws and shallow cliches.  
Sure, there was a lot of action and fanatastic visual effects but that was all there was to it to push the plot clock into the finale.  Otherwise, I was left thinking Battle: LA appeared just as I agreed your original post
You watch films out of Hollywood all the time, correct? I guess I could ask, are you kidding me? Shallow characters, cliches, etc, etc. Pretty much sums up a large portion of the films that come out of Hollywood. We're lucky when we get those gems that actually have characters who we can actually get into a plot that is actually original (good luck on that). However, if you take a film for what it's worth then you can pick and choose what you like. Based on you comments, you don't like military cliches, films that don't go into character development and are action only. Therefore, based on your comments, it appears it's not your kind of film. Again, that obviously wasn't the case for alot of other viewers. But, that's understandable. We all got different tastes, right?

Totally agreeing with Battle on this one.  It was the LONGEST ad for the Marines I've seen.
NOTHING new or interesting about the aliens.  We've seen it ALL before!  It was BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

I'm a big fan of of epic "save the world" type films.  THIS definitely wasn't one of them.  It was a whack waste of my time.

Independence Day and Armageddon remain comfortably at the top of my favorites list.[/color]
So Black Hawk Down wasn't, in it's own way, an add for the Army? Heck, if you sat and watched the the last two Transformers movies closely, the Air Force was heavily publicized (along with GM) in those films. As for unoriginal aliens, again that pretty much sums up every alien flick that's come out for the past decade or more.

So, I get it. You don't like the movie. Battle and I'm sure others didn't either. Okay. Obviously, others did like it. Freedom of thought is a beautiful thing.   ;)
Who knows, if I see it in the discount DVD aisle, I may even pick it up. Maybe.

Wandi, from your comments, and some of the others above, I put two and two together ...

Finally realized what "off the chain" means ...

Have you ever seen a toilet bowl flapper, off the chain ...

... and what you're left with when you try to flush ...?   ;D

:D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:36:14 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 05:10:51 am »
>>>Evasive_1

The reason I say that Battle:LA is my kind of movie because I enjoy sci-fi as a film genre but the movie itself falls flat on the weight of excess; everything about Battle: LA was excessive...  excessive explosive visuals, excessive sound, excessive hand-held camera work, etc... and at the same, it felt as If there was a lot missing to keep me interested in the story. Battle: LA felt like an extremely modern version of the bad sci-fi movies of the  1950s but with a lot pretense (especially in the acting department).

I'm glad you  DO understand the great number of schlocky, soul-less, Hollywood movies that are released week after week after week.  This  might be attributed to one (maybe two) movie that started this trend way back in the 1970s, called 'Jaws' and Hollywood studios have been wanting to duplicate the success of that movie for decades ever since.  Today's movies are the theatrical equilvalent of an amusement park, where you load up a tremendous amount of people to see it, stun them, jolt them and get them out of the space as quickly as possible to load up another batch of people.

It's not to say that I didn't like Battle: LA as I nearly fell asleep from boredom at times and shaken awake by the 'shakey-cam'.  I just did not like the experience.

Also, It is funny you should mention, 'Black Hawk Down'...

---that was a movie I actually walked out on in the first 25-30 minutes in the theater! :(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:51:07 am by Battle »

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 11:56:06 am »
>>>Evasive_1

The reason I say that Battle:LA is my kind of movie because I enjoy sci-fi as a film genre but the movie itself falls flat on the weight of excess; everything about Battle: LA was excessive...  excessive explosive visuals, excessive sound, excessive hand-held camera work, etc... and at the same, it felt as If there was a lot missing to keep me interested in the story. Battle: LA felt like an extremely modern version of the bad sci-fi movies of the  1950s but with a lot pretense (especially in the acting department).

I'm glad you  DO understand the great number of schlocky, soul-less, Hollywood movies that are released week after week after week.  This  might be attributed to one (maybe two) movie that started this trend way back in the 1970s, called 'Jaws' and Hollywood studios have been wanting to duplicate the success of that movie for decades ever since.  Today's movies are the theatrical equilvalent of an amusement park, where you load up a tremendous amount of people to see it, stun them, jolt them and get them out of the space as quickly as possible to load up another batch of people.

It's not to say that I didn't like Battle: LA as I nearly fell asleep from boredom at times and shaken awake by the 'shakey-cam'.  I just did not like the experience.

Also, It is funny you should mention, 'Black Hawk Down'...

---that was a movie I actually walked out on in the first 25-30 minutes in the theater! :(
Even though I liked Battle: LA, I actually agree with some of what you say here as to what it consisted of. Yes, excessive is pretty much the word to sum up that movie. Maybe I'm a little more desensitized to directors using the "shaky camera" method or going over board with action scenes to make up for bad character development. That's actually probably not a good thing in the long run, because it means I have little faith in Hollywood to produce a substantive action flick anymore. I just take movie for what their worth now and try not to let silly flicks get to me anymore. :(

As far as "Black Hawk Down", I saw the movie several times and have it on DVD. Go figure. Also, that movie was based on a true event. I know several people who served on tour in Mozambique at that time and though they enjoyed the movie, it was also emotional for them viewing it. Two people were involved and one person I know actually lost a friend in that incident. Talking with those people made me appreciate the movie more than just being entertained by the storytelling.

By the way, I respect and understand anyone's opinion or particular taste to something. I'm not necessarily trying to prove my opinion of a movie is right over anyone else's. Just having conversation. Hope you understand. :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:59:48 am by Evasive_1 »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:17 pm »
Hollywood is not a democracy...

This review is a bit dated but I think redlettermedia summarizes the messy business of Hollywood best...  the video is not the 'definitive' reason but helps breaks it down.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/