Author Topic: War comes to Wakanda  (Read 19746 times)

CIENCIANO

Re: War comes to Wakanda
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 08:38:49 am »
To be totally realistic and again, this is based as much if not more on the previous run than this one the U.S. would be hardpressed to invade Wakanda. Now to be honest, Wakanda came off as a bunch of punks in the early arc as far as I'm concerned. These guys turned back invading white imperialists without coming outside of thier houses in the first issue, but 5 second rate supervillians took them to the woodshed.

the HUDLIN'S VERSION of those ''second rate supervillains'' were of course, not like that.
hudlin made his own version of those characters, rhino, klaw, batroc etc. making them 1st rate villains.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:53 am »
I disagree, we didn't see enough OF them to really get the impression that they were consumate badass villians. There wasn't even a throwaway line like "Batroc is the most dangerous man on earth - he's feared all over' or 'Klaw is the best there is at what he does'. Those are cliches but at least they'd demonstrate the breadth and depth of the army claw put together. To me, the whole invasion more or less consisted of Cannibal taking over security and RadioActive man almost blowing up the Vibranium mound. The rest of them were fairly superfluous. I mean, this version of Klaw wasn't NEARLY as deadly as the Klaw established in most marvel history, and nothing in the story would lead a new reader to believe so. Rhino and this 'new' black knight. Gimmie a break.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 10:21:10 am »
Right now the Inhumans are at war with the United States. If the Black Panther cements an alliance then we can count on Black Bolt to have his back. And if Doom thinks it's in his country's interest to support Wakanda...
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

CIENCIANO

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 11:12:19 am »
I disagree, we didn't see enough OF them to really get the impression that they were consumate badass villians. There wasn't even a throwaway line like "Batroc is the most dangerous man on earth - he's feared all over' or 'Klaw is the best there is at what he does'. Those are cliches but at least they'd demonstrate the breadth and depth of the army claw put together. To me, the whole invasion more or less consisted of Cannibal taking over security and RadioActive man almost blowing up the Vibranium mound. The rest of them were fairly superfluous. I mean, this version of Klaw wasn't NEARLY as deadly as the Klaw established in most marvel history, and nothing in the story would lead a new reader to believe so. Rhino and this 'new' black knight. Gimmie a break.

rhino broke the defensive system of wakanda and made a ''line'' of destruction inside the city . pretty bad-ass
black knight took down some wakandan's military airplanes before the panther defeat him. pretty bad-ass

if not wakanda, but another country of the world, the invasion would have succeded.

how do you want a character to act like to be ''the villain''? osama bin laden is ''the villain'' in the real world, and the only thing he does is speaking in front of a camera in a cave two or three times a year.

of course the villain type you like to see in comics is a stereotyped one. smashing things and screaming etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:35:00 pm by CIENCIANO »

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 05:22:55 pm »
how do you want a character to act like to be ''the villain''? osama bin laden is ''the villain'' in the real world, and the only thing he does is speaking in front of a camera in a cave two or three times a year.
of course the villain type you like to see in comics is a stereotyped one. smashing things and screaming etc.

New Board, same Ciencio, can't POSSIBLY just talk about comics. You have to make snide side comments and impugn other people's opinions. All I said was that they weren't that TOUGH, of course they invaded, it was part of the storyline but honestly BP could've taken ALL of those guys out by himself. Hell SPIDERMAN could've taken all 5 of those guys out by himself, so it just didn't strike me as all that impressive that they were able to do anything more than just ANNOY the army of the most technologically advanced nation on the planet. If anything I'd have liked something a bit more intricate and compelling than 'Rhino Smash', 'Batroc Leap', 'Klaw shoot somebody'. As a group of invaders they left alot to be desired.

CIENCIANO

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 05:33:17 pm »

New Board, same Ciencio, can't POSSIBLY just talk about comics.

new board , same bldyoda.
yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

now to compare comics with real facts is something wrong?. gimme a break...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwn

You have to make snide side comments and impugn other people's opinions.

that's not my style, that's your style, trying to thwart my opinions talking bad about me.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:39:22 pm by CIENCIANO »

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »
Dude, you're the one who got thrown off another board for cussing at someone, questioning their sexuality and starting fights. Between the two of us I may have a past history of being snarky; but picking fights, going after people personally, name calling and getting thrown out of chatrooms is your internet resume not mine.
I have liked the new tone of this board and you starting with this '... I guess the only way you like YOUR supervillians etc. etc.' is pretty much how things started to degrade last time. All I'm suggesting is keep it about the comics, and lets all have a good time. If it weren't you that made the comments I'd probably thought nothing of it, but you have a habit of escalating things and I'm trying to nip any nonsense in the bud so that everybody on the board can have a good time. I don't know 'HOW' you like your supervillains either so let's just leave it at that.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 08:22:51 pm »
My boy and I was talking about the latest BP and Iron Man made a comment to T'Challa about what we are assuming is him referring to Storm not just any Mutant but an X-Man who is suppose to be on lock down at Xavier’s Mansion under The One's watchful eye. Instead she's in Africa marrying one of the most powerful men on the planet. Let's not for get that the U.S. was behind a failed attempt at a coup. Now it seemed to me that Iron Man being the Patriot that he is or claims to be, if the U.S. pointed to Wakanda and said sick'em, he would.

What did Iron Man say?  I'm reading it again and he was talking about "abiding the presence of known fugitives."  By that I assumed he mean Cap
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 08:27:43 pm »
you know what?
i wouldnt be surprised if the capital of Wakandan (ie: T'challa's Palace) was like Metroplex and transformed into a big ass Panther ROBOT.

wouldn't that be hot?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 08:37:52 pm »
wait till bp 22 when t'chall and storm come to america, I can only wonder with aniticipation how this turns out.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 03:18:43 am »
you know what?
i wouldnt be surprised if the capital of Wakandan (ie: T'challa's Palace) was like Metroplex and transformed into a big ass Panther ROBOT.

wouldn't that be hot?
That would be the culmination of all my geek-loves in one place. I think my head would explode. ;D

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 03:50:00 am »
wait till bp 22 when t'chall and storm come to america, I can only wonder with aniticipation how this turns out.

Guest cameo of Rev. Jesse Jackson. Anti-mutant demonstrators, white demonstrators accusing T'Challa of being a tyrant. Loads of American Africans cheering for the royal couple. X-Men guest cameo. Luke Cage guest cameo. Storm dissing Bishop for being a government stooge.  :D Storm dissing Dondi for being a government stooge.  ;D
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 10:13:58 am »
Right now the Inhumans are at war with the United States. If the Black Panther cements an alliance then we can count on Black Bolt to have his back. And if Doom thinks it's in his country's interest to support Wakanda...

I really hope that isn't the direction of this book.  Right now, DC is doing similiar storyline where Black Adam is pulling together the nations that don't support the US, though with a different outcome.   (Then again, I haven't heard anyone commenting on attaching Isis--which is the original Storm--with Black Adam, another AFrican man with his own nation.)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 10:19:44 am »

rhino broke the defensive system of wakanda and made a ''line'' of destruction inside the city . pretty bad-ass
black knight took down some wakandan's military airplanes before the panther defeat him. pretty bad-ass

if not wakanda, but another country of the world, the invasion would have succeded.

Personally, I don't see it.  None of the invaders were taken down by the superior technology of Wakanda.  Rhino was beaten with knock-out gas.  That's hardly something complex.  Black Knight was the closest to being taken down by Wakandan technology, but a) defeating Vatican technology doesn't seem all that hard and b) he was actually beaten when BP threaten to kill his horse if he didn't surrender.  And Radioactive Man was defeated by Black Knight's sword.  Batroc and Klaw's defeats were not at the hands of superior Wakandan technological forces, but the acts of individuals.

Nothing really indicates that no other country could have duplicated or matched their efforts. 

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 10:46:47 am »
Personally, I don't see it.  None of the invaders were taken down by the superior technology of Wakanda.  Rhino was beaten with knock-out gas.  That's hardly something complex.  Black Knight was the closest to being taken down by Wakandan technology, but a) defeating Vatican technology doesn't seem all that hard and b) he was actually beaten when BP threaten to kill his horse if he didn't surrender.  And Radioactive Man was defeated by Black Knight's sword.  Batroc and Klaw's defeats were not at the hands of superior Wakandan technological forces, but the acts of individuals.

Nothing really indicates that no other country could have duplicated or matched their efforts.

My point exactly. If this was supposed to be a grand sweeping initial arc that showed how Wakanda was a nation of badasses, not only were the villians pretty lame but they were defeated with ease. It was a fairly generic invasion plot that could've been over in 3 or 4 issues MAX. Nothing that has happened so far in this comic's run has established Wakanda as being this super fantastic nation other than what people have SAID, but we really haven't SEEN anything. In fact, one thing that is somewhat underwhelming about this Panther now is how LITTLE of his nation's technology he seems to employ. I don't want to harp on Priest's run but he did make an interesting point on his message board about Panther once. How it was kindof corny that for decades, this guy supposedly runs the most technologicall advanced nation in the world but still chose to run around in a black jumpsuit - I mean what distinguished this guy from Daredevil? This panther is basically back to that old school guy from the 80's (running around in a jumpsuit with no real powers or tech that makes him special. And NO, the 'twice blessed armor' thing during the Katrina story was extremely LAME in my opinion. That's not technology that was some hokey thing. There are vampiric concepts in Africa too, howabout referencing those?) and perhaps that is more to some readers liking. Personally I wish there were more energy blades and vibranium suits in this comic.