Author Topic: War comes to Wakanda  (Read 19741 times)

CIENCIANO

Re: War comes to Wakanda
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 10:48:12 am »
Dude, you're the one who got thrown off another board for cussing at someone, questioning their sexuality and starting fights. Between the two of us I may have a past history of being snarky; but picking fights, going after people personally, name calling and getting thrown out of chatrooms is your internet resume not mine.
I have liked the new tone of this board and you starting with this '... I guess the only way you like YOUR supervillians etc. etc.' is pretty much how things started to degrade last time. All I'm suggesting is keep it about the comics, and lets all have a good time. If it weren't you that made the comments I'd probably thought nothing of it, but you have a habit of escalating things and I'm trying to nip any nonsense in the bud so that everybody on the board can have a good time. I don't know 'HOW' you like your supervillains either so let's just leave it at that.

a 500 words essay , talking not about comics but about ME.

anyway, yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwn

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 10:42:13 pm »
Personally, I don't see it.  None of the invaders were taken down by the superior technology of Wakanda.  Rhino was beaten with knock-out gas.  That's hardly something complex.  Black Knight was the closest to being taken down by Wakandan technology, but a) defeating Vatican technology doesn't seem all that hard and b) he was actually beaten when BP threaten to kill his horse if he didn't surrender.  And Radioactive Man was defeated by Black Knight's sword.  Batroc and Klaw's defeats were not at the hands of superior Wakandan technological forces, but the acts of individuals.

Nothing really indicates that no other country could have duplicated or matched their efforts.

My point exactly. If this was supposed to be a grand sweeping initial arc that showed how Wakanda was a nation of badasses, not only were the villians pretty lame but they were defeated with ease. It was a fairly generic invasion plot that could've been over in 3 or 4 issues MAX. Nothing that has happened so far in this comic's run has established Wakanda as being this super fantastic nation other than what people have SAID, but we really haven't SEEN anything. In fact, one thing that is somewhat underwhelming about this Panther now is how LITTLE of his nation's technology he seems to employ. I don't want to harp on Priest's run but he did make an interesting point on his message board about Panther once. How it was kindof corny that for decades, this guy supposedly runs the most technologicall advanced nation in the world but still chose to run around in a black jumpsuit - I mean what distinguished this guy from Daredevil? This panther is basically back to that old school guy from the 80's (running around in a jumpsuit with no real powers or tech that makes him special. And NO, the 'twice blessed armor' thing during the Katrina story was extremely LAME in my opinion. That's not technology that was some hokey thing. There are vampiric concepts in Africa too, howabout referencing those?) and perhaps that is more to some readers liking. Personally I wish there were more energy blades and vibranium suits in this comic.

I disagree. Those invaders didn't require overly sophisticated weapons to be defeated. Why bring a Gundam when you only need a gun? I've never heard of fighter jets armed with knock-out gas. If it works then it works. Black Panther used a sky-bike to match the maneuvering ability of the Knight's flying horse. He then used psychology against the knight's sense of chivalry. Clever and just as effective. The fact that the Dora Milaje and Shuri could defeat their opponents is praiseworthy because they are women. Normal women wouldn't have done so well. I doubt a G.I. Jane could survive against them. Shuri's victory was partly due to chance, but her training helped her to survive and wield the Ebony Blade. We should also be impressed by how that pilot shot the Black Knight while descending with a parachute. That deserves some kudos.

As for technology, we did see a capable battle room with access to information and wide surveillance. When Klaw tried to dive more into their network their defense programs could scare him off. Furthermore, the holy armor was cool because it supports Wakanda's supernatural, possibly spiritual strength. Vampires are supernaturally powerful. Their myth involves their invulnerability to modern weapons, i.e. bullets and explosives. King T'Challa scared them with a native holy power.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:55 am »
KIP LEWIS: Personally, I don't see it.  None of the invaders were taken down by the superior technology of Wakanda.  Rhino was beaten with knock-out gas.  That's hardly something complex.  Black Knight was the closest to being taken down by Wakandan technology, but a) defeating Vatican technology doesn't seem all that hard and b) he was actually beaten when BP threaten to kill his horse if he didn't surrender.  And Radioactive Man was defeated by Black Knight's sword.  Batroc and Klaw's defeats were not at the hands of superior Wakandan technological forces, but the acts of individuals.

Nothing really indicates that no other country could have duplicated or matched their efforts.

My point exactly. If this was supposed to be a grand sweeping initial arc that showed how Wakanda was a nation of badasses, not only were the villians pretty lame but they were defeated with ease. ...

I disagree. Those invaders didn't require overly sophisticated weapons to be defeated....

That's our point.  We're not saying that Wakanda doesn't have the stuff, but that the villains weren't beyond the means of other nations, so we didn't get a chance to see unique defensive technology or means.

...Why bring a Gundam when you only need a gun? I've never heard of fighter jets armed with knock-out gas. If it works then it works. ....

After years of fighting the Hulk, knockout gas weapons from flying vechiles has become common place.  (Again, our point is not about Wakanda, but that these villains really didn't give us a good show of Wakanda's power.)

Black Panther used a sky-bike to match the maneuvering ability of the Knight's flying horse. He then used psychology against the knight's sense of chivalry. Clever and just as effective. The fact that the Dora Milaje and Shuri could defeat their opponents is praiseworthy because they are women. Normal women wouldn't have done so well. I doubt a G.I. Jane could survive against them. ....

Normal Wakandan women (or soldiers) wouldn't have faired as well as Dora Milaje.  So comparing them to G.I. Jane, isn't balanced.  I bet that shield has several women who would have done just as well. 

Shuri's victory was partly due to chance, but her training helped her to survive and wield the Ebony Blade. We should also be impressed by how that pilot shot the Black Knight while descending with a parachute. That deserves some kudos.

But still, keep in mind, Shuri falls into the same catagory as the previous one and still didn't beat Radioactive Man with their technology; they used the invaders weapon to win the day.  Not a bad move.  And it's not to diminish her skill or Wakanda's rescources; it is just that these invasion party probably wasn't as bad as when Namor invaded NYC with that giant walking whale that took a nuke to knock it out.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 10:19:08 am »
When i think of big cool invasions of bad guys that requrie tremendous tech, resources and just badassitude to fight them off, this initial arc just fell short in my opinion. Hell given how tight wakanda supposedly is, it would've been cool if they'd amassed like some HUGE masters of evil group of villians and the whole nation zapped them with power disrupter or something. Just ANYTHING that showed Wakanda was a 'step above' any other nation. I agree with Kip again, Skybikes ain't all that amazing in the world of comics at this point nor is gassing the Rhino. It's like the Silver Surfer battles Mysterio and defeats him by punching his fishbowl helmet. HUH? It's the FREAKIN SILVER SURFER! With the power cosmic there's like a million different kick ass ways he could've taken out Mysterio. (Now I'll admit that seeing SS punch somebody out would be pretty damn funny but that's beside the point.) Same with Wakanda, all that tech and THAT's the response they mount? Like I said, these guys had Gatlin guns and blew away Euro invaders over 100 years ago before they even saw the city walls. That those 2 tier supergeeks even got past Wakandan Airspace is a miracle. Seems like thier superiority is slippin. Very underwhelming.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 08:54:04 pm »
This is what a high tech Panther armor would look like:

Get the point?
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?