Author Topic: Rich Johnston's Glowing Review of BP #21  (Read 8605 times)

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
Rich Johnston's Glowing Review of BP #21
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:55:09 pm »
Lying in the Gutters' Rich Johnston explains how Issue #21 overcame his skepticism and proves Reggie is a worthy successor to Christopher Priest:

PAWS FOR THOUGHT

This week, a number of places reported that the moderator of CBR's Marvel Comics Forum temporarily closed down "Black Panther" commentary on the CBR boards, due to the extremity of debate over Reggie Hudlin's run on the title. Shortly after this occurred, the moderator reversed his decision once it was pointed out by other moderators and the staff of CBR that this was the wrong way to handle things. So, discuss away!

Two weeks ago I bought a copy, realised that it was a major part of the "Civil War" story yet lacking trade dress, and told you all about it. Marvel are now reprinting the issue in question in "Civil War" livery and applying that to the next issue as well.

What I didn't mention was how much I enjoyed the issue in question.

Now, I used to read "Black Panther." I absolutely adored Priest's long run on the book, as it twisted its way through various editorial regimes and demands. It had heart, intelligence and wit. It received almost universal acclaim from the online community throughout its run. And it sold terribly. Quesada used it as an example of how Internet comment affected sales in the store, ie. not at all.

Reggie Hudlin revamped the book. Sales are still pretty low. Yet the internet controversy is huge. There has been much debate over the quality of writing, the way characters are treated, continuity warped, readers lied to by editorial, readers affected by their own racial prejudices, Hollywood writers on comics, allegations of being racial simplistic, lack of experience, lack of empathy, blinkered viewpoints and Reggie Hudlin himself taking to the boards to kick it up a further notch.

Me, I bought the comic for a couple of issues and dropped it. Compared to Priest's run, it felt flat and boring. I missed out on the whole kerfuffle about changing continuity, having the arc officially designated a Year One story, only for that explanation to conflict with the next arc, Panther to be instantly wed to the only other African superhero in Marvel, Storm, the resultant retcon throughout Marvel's continuity to accommodate it, and the allegations of racism from all sides against the other over this decision. I was getting the buzz I got from Priest's book on titles like "New X-Men," "The Ultimates," "X-Statix" - oh and "The West Wing," "Shameless," "State Of Play," "Outlaws," "The Wire" and even "Doctor Who" for my sins.

But I bought the last issue. Featuring an underwater diplomatic meeting between Storm, The Sub Mariner and Panther regarding the Civil War. And it was rather spiffy. Separate agendas clashing, differing resolutions and a heart pumping finale. All from people standing around talking. I'll be buying the next issue.

zeraze
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:02:17 pm by zeraze »
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Rasmane

• View Profile
Re: Another Glowing Review of BP #21
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:59:46 pm »
Johnston better look out or he'll become too objective to be a proper comics journalist!

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
Re: Another Glowing Review of BP #21
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 06:03:20 pm »
Johnston better look out or he'll become too objective to be a proper comics journalist!

I know. 

But it's cool that he judged the issue on its own merits instead of getting wrapped into all the online controversy.

zeraze
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time."

- Terry Tempest Williams

CIENCIANO

Re: Rich Johnston's Glowing Review of BP #21
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 06:24:07 pm »
I DON'T THINK IT'S A VERY POSSITIVE REVIEW.  >:(

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:13:06 pm »

I think it's a fair one.

Johnston admits that his initially dismissive of Hudlin's take on Black Panther because he enjoyed Priest's work so much.  However, after giving Issue #21 a real look, he realized that Hudlin does "get" T'Challa, but just approaches the Wakandan king from a different direction.

That's pretty mature.  Too many fans are afraid of being embarassed if they admit their first impression of a title was wrong.

So, I think the review is in the pro-Reggie column.

zeraze

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:49:43 pm »
too much focus on the past of the book and not on it's current state. I mean is every comic stuck in what the 1st or 2nd volume of the series. outside of claremont's run on xmen i don't see how this is fair. :-\

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:12:52 am »
Agreed.  This reviewer was not overly positive...he seemed just as negative....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 06:04:49 am by stanleyballard »

CIENCIANO

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 01:45:42 pm »

I think it's a fair one.

Johnston admits that his initially dismissive of Hudlin's take on Black Panther because he enjoyed Priest's work so much.  However, after giving Issue #21 a real look, he realized that Hudlin does "get" T'Challa, but just approaches the Wakandan king from a different direction.

That's pretty mature.  Too many fans are afraid of being embarassed if they admit their first impression of a title was wrong.

zeraze

he is saying: ''this series sucked at the beginning, it was terrible, but i gave a try to issue 21, and yeah it was entertainting, not as good as the priest era, but entertaining anyway, the book is still  selling  low.''

i don't think it's possitive in any way possible.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:06 pm »

I think it's a fair one.

zeraze

I agree with zeraze.  It's not easy to reverse positions.  He deserves some respect for that.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline zeraze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 04:00:19 pm »
I agree with zeraze.  It's not easy to reverse positions.  He deserves some respect for that.

Exactly. 

And this isn't the first time this has happened.  For instance, Jenn was initially skeptical about Storm marrying Black Panther until she read the "Bride of the Panther" arc.  Now, she's a fan of not only the royal couple, but the book as well.

So, if a person like Rich Johnston enjoys an issue Black Panther and keeps buying the series, then they have my respect.  It's the jerks who waste time and energy slamming Reggie's work instead getting a life that I have problems with.

zeraze 

- Terry Tempest Williams

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 04:37:44 am »
IAWCAZ
(I agree with Curtis and Zeraze)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 06:18:36 am »
Agree and disagree....the reviewer does not strongly focus on the merits of Hudlin's version....he is giving somewhat of a backhanded compliment....with a disclaimer attached.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:44:49 am »
Agree and disagree....the reviewer does not strongly focus on the merits of Hudlin's version....he is giving somewhat of a backhanded compliment....with a disclaimer attached.
That's a good point... Not as good as Curtis and Zeraze's though. Anyway, I wasn't even really following this thread.

;D

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 02:15:45 pm »
wise...do you just make up initials?
aka

WDYJMUI?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 01:37:10 am »
wise...do you just make up initials?
aka

WDYJMUI?
Y

-Harriet Tubman