Author Topic: Rich Johnston's Glowing Review of BP #21  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Rich Johnston's Glowing Review of BP #21
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »
HHHHHH aka HAHAHAHAHAHA

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
Re: Another Glowing Review of BP #21
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 11:21:52 am »
Johnston better look out or he'll become too objective to be a proper comics journalist!

I know. 

But it's cool that he judged the issue on its own merits instead of getting wrapped into all the online controversy.

zeraze

I think it was pretty fair and reasonable. He admits to reading the initial arc, not finding it interesting and then coming back. That's just plain honest. The fact that he DIDN'T care about all of the continuity crap and the quickie marriage was a good sign to me, he was basically saying 'When the writing is good, I'm gonna buy the book and when it isn't I won't.' That's how most comic fans actually are, regardless of the rancor one sees on chatrooms. I'll admit, the anger elicited by this book certainly goes much deeper than just comics, this is an assualt on the notions of power that alot of white comic readers have, their like their black women either as asexual eye candy (Storm for many years) or as linked up with white guys as sex vixens (Misty Night and Iron Fist.) That's one of the reasons I've never been all that into the whole 'BP's writer is standing up to the white boy anger' thing. I just think the guy is writing a comic and is probably just as surprised as anyone that these folks are that pissed.