Author Topic: Are music artist Releasing any song just to have a New video  (Read 2169 times)

Offline chardenae

• View Profile
Are music artist Releasing any song just to have a New video
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »
Today i was listening to the radio as i was driving to the studio. For the first time i heard a song by chris brown on the radio and then my lil sister whos seven years old says  "have you seen the video yet ? its cool". Im like "nooo hahaha little one ive never even heard the song. She replys "well its new duh!!!" and then says im getting old. SMH FOR REAL YALL !...DUH is the point exactly im not hating on Chris Brown because i love his music but  wasn't there a time your song had to become a hit before you realeased a video or atleast show up on the charts. I clearly understand that video's help the popularity of a song but that can only go so far depending on the artist and the song.curious to know what others think about this new way artist are releasing videos.main Question is does the video make you like the song or does the song make you like the video?

C.J. Reaves

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Are music artist Releasing any song just to have a New video
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:23 pm »
Welcome to the boards, Chardenae.

From a practical point of view, videos are one of the few ways to break a song now a days.  Even though MTV and BET play very little music compared to what they used to do, you can still release it online and let the audience discover and champion it, which is a lot more democratic than convincing the program directors of various radio networks to support a song. 

As for your direct question, I've seen great songs with garbage videos.  I've seen generic songs with generic videos.  But rarely does a generic song get a great video.  But maybe some folks and post contrary examples?