Author Topic: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba  (Read 33193 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:24:36 pm »
from EURWEB:

White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
December 16, 2010 at 11:16 am

*A white supremacist group has called for a boycott of Marvel’s “Thor” movie over the casting of Idris Elba.

The Council of Conservative Citizens has released a statement through their website objecting to Elba playing Norse god Heimdall in the comic book movie.

“It’s not enough that Marvel attacks conservatives values, now mythological Gods must be re-invented with black skin,” a post on the site reads. ”It seems that Marvel Studios believes that white people should have nothing that is unique to themselves. An upcoming movie, based on the comic book Thor, will give the Aesir an insulting multicultural makeover. One of the Gods will be played by Hip Hop DJ Elba.”

The post ends by linking to a “Boycott Thor” website.

Speaking about his casting earlier in the year, Elba said: “Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers. That’s okay, but the color of my skin is wrong?”

“Thor” is due in theaters in May.

In other Elba news, the actor says he was “flabbergasted” when he learned that he was nominated for a Golden Globe this week for his role in the British crime series “Luther,” which aired in the US on BBC America.

“My assistant was shrieking so loud I had to clean my ears out before I could understand what she was saying,” Elba told USA Today. “I’m flabbergasted and in shock. But at least I’m on set and I can channel that emotion back into my work.”

Elba also admitted that he is thrilled to be nominated alongside actors including Al Pacino, Dennis Quaid, Ian McShane and Edgar Ramirez.

“Al Pacino?” he joked. “Never heard of him, who’s that? Seriously, this is a very humbling feeling. Every time you do a job you hope that it will be something special. I suppose this show may stand out a bit because ‘Luther’ – a volatile and brilliant detective – is a breath of fresh air in these PC times. He will risk his life and his sanity to get the bad guy, and to see him explode may provide us all with some relief.”

The Golden Globes will be held on Jan. 16 in Los Angeles.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »
Further evidence that white supremacists are idiots.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »
Ah! So they reveal themselves...  Mr. Idris is such a gentleman, and it's so fun to see him do his acting thing.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:00:05 am »
This further proves why the whole argument against the casting is stupid.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:07:56 am »
hehehheheheheheheheheheheh...
I have yet to read a Thor story where he busts up some neo-Nazi terrorist fortress filled with people who worship "him".. that would be cool..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Nothing unique to themselves? White people own practically everything else...

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
from EURWEB:

In other Elba news, the actor says he was “flabbergasted” when he learned that he was nominated for a Golden Globe this week for his role in the British crime series “Luther,” which aired in the US on BBC America.

Just recently saw this series. Good stuff.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:16:43 pm »
I would be mad if they made the Panther God, or Shango or Legba white.  Norse mythology has no Africans in it as far as I know.  I love Idris, I want him to get as much as he can from the game but Heimdall is Norse, Nick Fury, Kingpin is white and so are the Aesir.  As a black man who reads comics I could accept a Thor film without a black retcon.  Here's to promoting existing black Marvel characters in their own vehicles, but blackening your white lineup to appear multicultural c'mon Marvel.
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »
Why is it after all these years people STILL don't get Michael Clark Duncan was cast because no one in Hollywood at the time (and in fact even now) that is white is as big as he is? He has no white counterpart, so he was cast. The director said this verbatim, even. You'd think after experiencing "anger" at him being cast cooler rational minds would prevail once you go "well they should have cast instead...um...hmm...well...", that it would make you realize the director's modus operandi.

Its just mind boggling when I see that pop up after all these years, and especially in the age of the internet when you can google the ish out of stuff to find out who did what and why.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:15:18 am »
Honestly I scratched my head over casting Idris in that role those morons not withstanding.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:02:06 am »
I would be mad if they made the Panther God, or Shango or Legba white.  Norse mythology has no Africans in it as far as I know.  I love Idris, I want him to get as much as he can from the game but Heimdall is Norse, Nick Fury, Kingpin is white and so are the Aesir.  As a black man who reads comics I could accept a Thor film without a black retcon.  Here's to promoting existing black Marvel characters in their own vehicles, but blackening your white lineup to appear multicultural c'mon Marvel.
He'll die anyway so at least it'll appease the complainers. I do agree that it didn't make sense to add a "black character" in the mix. They can't use the "no actor has that physical look of the character" excuse
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:13 am »
Why is it after all these years people STILL don't get Michael Clark Duncan was cast because no one in Hollywood at the time (and in fact even now) that is white is as big as he is? He has no white counterpart, so he was cast. The director said this verbatim, even. You'd think after experiencing "anger" at him being cast cooler rational minds would prevail once you go "well they should have cast instead...um...hmm...well...", that it would make you realize the director's modus operandi.

Its just mind boggling when I see that pop up after all these years, and especially in the age of the internet when you can google the ish out of stuff to find out who did what and why.

If he said, there was no "established" or "Big name" actor out there in Hollywood of MCD's size, I could buy that, but we only see a mere fraction of the actors' guild in pictures and i have a hard time believeing there was NO ONE out there who could have fit the role.  And sometimes directors go outside of Hollywood to cast new people to get the right look.  As weak as that role was, the Big Show could have played it; (it wasn't even close to being MCD best work.)  Besides, I always thought he was too small or too narrow for the role.  Kingpin is supposed to be Sumo Wrestler size.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:14:29 am by KIP LEWIS »

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »

If he said, there was no "established" or "Big name" actor out there in Hollywood of MCD's size, I could buy that,

He did. Affleck was something of a star, so they at least wanted someone to match his starpower somewhat. The director practically said this verbatim. Also casting Affleck handicapped him somewhat: Affleck himself is 6'2½", and he wanted Kingpin to be TALLER than that (Duncan is 6'5"). I think in the comics Daredevil is 5'9" or 6 foot even, but regardless Kingpin is always taller.

Took me a while to find, but:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=1771

Its funny how the Daredevil movie is always the posterchild for racial changes in an established property, when it is perhaps one of the few instances where there are specific reasons for the change other than just because.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
The Kingpin thing worked for me for what it's worth.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 10:39:40 am »
The Kingpin thing worked for me for what it's worth.

Hey for what its worth as well it worked for me, too. I was really hoping for a sequel. But even MCD doing a good job in the role [IMO] was beside the point. Even at the time I thought "Well, no one else could have played it, since no one else as big as MCD and white with a similar work resume even exists" and then surprise, I find comments by the director matching what I had already guessed.

Again, this ONE movie was the OPPOSITE of movies that change races of characters "just because". To that end it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Getting back to that [finally], I keep reading Brannagh has always done color-blind casting and simply choose the best actor for the job, regardless of race. It could be false, but I choose to believe it is true until something comes along to contradict that. But imagine if Elba had won the roll of Thor instead. We'd have threads like this x100 all before, during, and after the movie comes out.