Author Topic: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba  (Read 33192 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »
I take Asgardians to be like fantasy beings.

They could be Black, White, Green Purple whatever.

They are not Norsemen or Vikings.

They may as well be FRP Elves.

It doesn't matter what race they are.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

I agree with this as well.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »
It could be false, but I choose to believe it is true until something comes along to contradict that. But imagine if Elba had won the roll of Thor instead. We'd have threads like this x100 all before, during, and after the movie comes out.
Hmmm could there be a possibility that he went for the role?
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »
It could be false, but I choose to believe it is true until something comes along to contradict that. But imagine if Elba had won the roll of Thor instead. We'd have threads like this x100 all before, during, and after the movie comes out.
Hmmm could there be a possibility that he went for the role?

Brannagh's a Brit. Elba's a Brit.  Tony Hopkins (Odin) and Hiddleston (Loki) are Brits.

Maybe Brannagh just wanted to work with the dude? The guy IS an acclaimed actor.

This "Its not just like the comics!" stuff KILLS me.

Hollywood stopped listening to fanboys after the Batman movie with Michael Keaton made all that dough over thier hysterical protests.

They care what the mallrats think they are the filmmakers target audience.

The older I get, the happier I am about this fact since the fans have become insanely reductive to my thinking.  Which for me is saying something.

A Lord Of The Rings movie that had been true to the books would have been unwatchable. As it was, the third LOTR movie was like the Battan Death March of filmgoing and I liked the thing.

Hiemdall is the frigging Security Guard for Asgard!

It matters that he isn't White? 

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »
Hollywood stopped listening to fanboys after the Batman movie with Michael Keaton made all that dough over thier hysterical protests.

Hollywood never listened to fanboys in the first place, it seems to me. It's just that fanboys' complaints can be seen and heard 24/7 these days thanks to the internet.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »
I think they listen to them enough in that they would never change the lead character's race, i.e. a black Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, etc. Supporting characters, though, are fair game, apparently.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 01:59:12 pm »
Off-topic

If he said, there was no "established" or "Big name" actor out there in Hollywood of MCD's size, I could buy that, but we only see a mere fraction of the actors' guild in pictures and i have a hard time believeing there was NO ONE out there who could have fit the role.  And sometimes directors go outside of Hollywood to cast new people to get the right look.  As weak as that role was, the Big Show could have played it; (it wasn't even close to being MCD best work.)  Besides, I always thought he was too small or too narrow for the role.  Kingpin is supposed to be Sumo Wrestler size.

Ray Stevenson is playing Volstag, but it's apparent even he won't look as large as the comic character. I guess even a fat suit can't fool everybody. Please don't drag my Big Mama into this.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »

That sounds progressive but I don't buy that at all. They certainly attached images with their myths.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
That sounds progressive but I don't buy that at all. They certainly attached images with their myths.

But does anybody want to see Thor riding a chariot driven by two goats? The pagan image of the Devil is partly inspired by Loki wearing a horned helmut. However, the Vikings never decorated their helmuts with horns. Artistic license through the ages.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »

One thing about this whole discussion besides the potential racists messages is that whenever a written work is adapted to the screen people scream about the changes.  I have seen people who basically ask, "if you are going to change things, even things you think are unimportant, then why are you making an adaption?  Do something original."  They see it as an insult to the writer and the fans to change things.  This is not limited to comics.  On the other hand, I heard one director(?) say, "if you don't change things, why are you bothering to make the movie?"    People have very different feelings about adaptations.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 02:11:04 pm »
Getting back to that [finally], I keep reading Brannagh has always done color-blind casting and simply choose the best actor for the job, regardless of race. It could be false, but I choose to believe it is true until something comes along to contradict that. But imagine if Elba had won the roll of Thor instead. We'd have threads like this x100 all before, during, and after the movie comes out.
Branagh's notorious for that. He even cast Denzel as a European king in Much Ado About Nothing, and it works. He has basically said that he wants the actor that plays the critical qualities of the part, and while he probably wouldn't cast a guy as Juliet, or Sir Ian McKellen as Romeo, casting Elba in this role is not a big shock.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:46 am »
As far as casting goes if a white man can play Jesus then anyone can probably play anything.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:46 am »
As far as casting goes if a white man can play Jesus then anyone can probably play anything.
You win this thread.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
You win this thread.

Seconded.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 07:08:17 pm »
Should we tell them that the artist on THOR is also a Black man?