Author Topic: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba  (Read 33128 times)

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
Re: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2011, 01:13:48 pm »
On the off chance that anybody still cares about this, I saw the Captain America trailer. In it Tommy Lee Jones (yay!), is a grizzled Sergeant explaining to the Super Soldier recruits (including the digitally altered to look like a beanpole Steve Rogers) that their mission after getting juiced up will be to “...send Adolph Hitler straight to hell”.

So the Nazis ARE in this movie, it is just that the movie focuses on Hydra as the Nazi’s mad scientist branch. And to be fair, in the comics, the Red Skull is portrayed as being so evil that even Hitler’s scared of him.   

Seems like they are retconning the friendship between a young Nicholas Fury and Steve Rogers as well.   

I DID appreciate the "Dum-Dum" Dugan cameo in the trailer, though.

Howling Commandos was in the building
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »
Just viewed the film from my day and as for Elba

THAT'S WHY!
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

michaelintp

« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2011, 10:46:11 pm »
Just saw the movie.  So it did go with the worm-hole alternate dimension approach to the Asgardians, "aliens" if you will (alluded to above). In that light, a Black Asgardian makes complete sense ... as does an Asian one (strangely not mentioned in the controversy, though as prominent in the film as Elba).

As to the Norsefolk in the 10th Century portraying all of their Asgardian "gods" as people who looked like themselves ... well, look at what the Europeans did to Jesus. That fact, that the "Norse gods" were all white, in no way contradicts the mixed ethnicity of the characters in the film, given the premise that the film starts with.

So my vote is ... thumbs up!  It all fit together just fine.

And I did like the movie ... particularly the theme that dad isn't as dumb as his "adolescent" son thinks he is.  No wonder I liked the film ... and errr ... my 17-year old son thought it was "corny."  Haha!  ;D

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2011, 11:06:53 am »
Agreed!  Saw it with my son, who is just a bit older than yours MTP, and we both enjoyed it!  I liked the aliens by the
wormhole angle as well.  Chris Hemsworth was quite good as the "Thunderer!"  Loved the twirling hammer effects in Juntenheim
and in New Mexico, high above the Destroyer in Thor's manufactured twister.

Elba was quite good in a supporting role.  I didn't disagree with the choice of an Asian for Hogun but would have liked to see
him have a closer resemblance to Genghis Khan. 

Peace,

Mont

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:33 am »
Just saw the movie.  So it did go with the worm-hole alternate dimension approach to the Asgardians, "aliens" if you will (alluded to above). In that light, a Black Asgardian makes complete sense ... as does an Asian one (strangely not mentioned in the controversy, though as prominent in the film as Elba).

As to the Norsefolk in the 10th Century portraying all of their Asgardian "gods" as people who looked like themselves ... well, look at what the Europeans did to Jesus. That fact, that the "Norse gods" were all white, in no way contradicts the mixed ethnicity of the characters in the film, given the premise that the film starts with.

And I did like the movie ... particularly the theme that dad isn't as dumb as his "adolescent" son thinks he is.  No wonder I liked the film ... and errr ... my 17-year old son thought it was "corny."  Haha!  ;D
I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I guess hogun "looks asian"
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:10 pm »

According to my personal experience White supremacist tend to look at asians as honorary whites. It's blacks and jews what they fear/hate the most.

Personaly I found the story lacking a bit in complexity. It felt rushed. I'd like the Destroyer to be a bit more of a challenge.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2011, 05:24:08 pm »
..finally got to see it. I'll see it again, it was cool overall.. though I felt it could have been longer, 2.5 hours at least..

.. i hope for an extended version of the initial fight with the frost giants..

..maybe it was best to skip Don Blake for now.. maybe the 3rd film..

..I liked the portrayals of the actors chosen.. hopefully more for the warriors 3 and sif to do in a part 2..

.. Rene Russo-- kind of a thankless role, but nice to see her..

..the bifrost mechanism was fascinating..

.. Will Darcy make it to part 2?

.. I hope for Amora and Skurge in part 2..
Be Kind to Someone Today.