Author Topic: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba  (Read 33194 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: White Supremacists Boycott ‘Thor’ over Idris Elba
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 05:03:29 am »

Brannagh's a Brit. Elba's a Brit.  Tony Hopkins (Odin) and Hiddleston (Loki) are Brits.

Maybe Brannagh just wanted to work with the dude? The guy IS an acclaimed actor.

Then I hope he has a bigger role than Hemidal has in the comics.  In the comics he just stands around or has minimal interaction 90 percent of the time.   Hemidal (from most comics) is kind of role you could give someone as a favor knowing he isn't doing anything important.  Nearly anyone can stand around staring off in the distant and say "The enemy is here!"

I am kind of curious what the Scandanivan take on all of this is; after all it is their legends.  I mean not just Hemidal but even that Thor is a blond, and Sif is a brunette.

The_Scribe

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:54 am »
"An answer, when mild, turns aside rage." - Christian Scriptures

There is an element of igonorance and jealousy.  African history is the story of originators.  Some of the younger cultures have difficulty embracing the reality that their young cultures were beneficiaries of previous cultures.  The creation of the god Thor came at the influence of older cultures civilizing the Nordic, or if you must, Germanic areas.  These older civilizing cultures, in the majority if not purely, were not what a racist would term White.

Peace and buy some tickets.   Congratulations Idris! :D

The_Scribe

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »
If you can find this comic issue of Thor, you deserve a Comic Book Archive Award:

Thor meets his "great-grandfather" Tammuz.  Tammuz actually shows up in many mythical stories, Babylonian, Assyrian etc.  How Thor got a great-grandfather  is an interesting story.  It fits the timing for the Thor movie.  Originally, Thor only had a father and uncles.  However, in one special issue, Thor gets a great-grandfather named Tammuz.  The connection is this.  Some writer at Marvel did try to embrace the fact that Norse and eventually "Germanic" mythology had its roots, and inspiration, from the mythology of older cultures.

We may need to add some more Elbas to the Thor 2.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:09 am »
Actually seeing Idris in the previews he fits perfectly.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »
Actually seeing Idris in the previews he fits perfectly.

Would have loved to see Idris Elba cast as Hogun the grim!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:18 pm »
Actually, as much as I love Elba ( and I do ),  think casting him as Heimdall in a live-action movie is crap.

These are norse gods. period. Vikings are white. get over it.

You can change Rick Jones. You can change Jane Foster. You can change any member of the fantastic four to ANY ethnicity that could be considered "generic American" but swapping in a black actor for a Norse god, even one as gifted as Elba, is just stupid PC marketing.

Sorry. This is an example of the problem, not the fix. I don't want to see black for black's sake. That cheapens the move toward real diversity. And slows it down.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 06:06:16 am »
It's plausible that the story can be re-written is such a way that the norse gods contracted mercenaries from other sources or locations.

Unless anyone here is 100% certain how the story is going to be told really should reserve thier disagreements until the movie is out.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 01:58:31 pm »
maybe the filmmakers remembered Edric Connor from "The Vikings (1958)"-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL2Yn3zQJ-w
 8)
...don't know how reliable the research is, but there's some essays here and there that claim a black presence in Scandinavia, however small it may have been..   ;)

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-bla-maors-the-black-vikings-and-the-black-danes-compiled-by-invasion2012/

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlackVikings

http://stewartsynopsis.com/europe_conquered_by_africans.htm

...of course, it could be argued that Marvel has always played fast and loose with its ancient-myth based characters, from blond-instead-of-red-and-bearded Thor, the raven-haired-instead-of-blonde Sif, to all the Kirby-tech of Asgard depicted during various runs, the non-myth-based Enchantress (Matt Fraction retconned to a connection to Idunn), etc.
... I'm not hung up on it.. I suspect that the comics' Heimdall will stay the same..   ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:01:13 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

michaelintp

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 03:17:47 pm »
I agree with the critical comments made, above.

This casting is just another example of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS gone mad (as almost all of it is). Yet another effort that proves to be condescending and pandering all at the same time.  

Of course, this is the Marvel that will not allow swastikas on Marvel Nazi characters (see comments on the Captain America film and the Red Skull's uniform).  So what do you expect?  Liberals, Liberals, Liberals.

Of course the white racist idiots who are calling for a 'boycot' are worthless stupid pieces of sh*t.

I'm looking forward to the movie. Sounds very cool.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 09:14:57 am »
I would NOT presume that the banning of Nazi imagery is from a liberal impulse.  You need to investigate that one carefully, Michael.  You may not agree with the conclusion, but I think the thinking behind it mirrors your own more than you know.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
I heard the reason Marvel has done this in the past (that is remove the Nazi symbol) has a lot to do distribution in Germany which will not allow the swastika in media. 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »
I heard the reason Marvel has done this in the past (that is remove the Nazi symbol) has a lot to do distribution in Germany which will not allow the swastika in media.  

That sounds about right.

A lot of American media is interpreted differently when it exports overseas and has to be handled carefully from country to country. For example, in the past,  a lot Star Wars material had to go through censors in Germany because of the obvious link of the Empire  to the nazis. ...or even something as simple as the Skeletor character from He-Man was banned in the UK when it was on the air 25+ years ago.  

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 01:06:45 pm »
That makes perfect sense. I guess germany don't want to have that stimga and I don't blame them. Also if anyone have notice "Hydra" were the bad guys in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes for Captain America's origin.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:09:48 pm by BmoreAkuma »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

michaelintp

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 07:08:00 am »
I would NOT presume that the banning of Nazi imagery is from a liberal impulse.  You need to investigate that one carefully, Michael.  You may not agree with the conclusion, but I think the thinking behind it mirrors your own more than you know.

... and what is "my thinking" that it is mirroring, according to you?  When have I ever expressed a politically correct fear of bashing Nazis or portraying Nazi villains as Nazis?  When have I objected to outing and condemning antisemites and bigots, past and present? Sure, I object to people being falsely accused of bigotry, but that has nothing to do with condemning and negatively portraying the real antisemites, racists and bigots. Reginald, please respond.

As to the other comments above, were the Indiana Jones movies banned in Germany? Was Inglorious Basterds banned in Germany?  I'm surprised anyone seriously thinks that this whole thing is about pandering to contemporary Germans who don't want to be reminded of the existence of Nazism.  Because nobody in their right mind can believe that the portrayal of the Red Skull as an uber-evil Nazi villain will inspire the rise of Neo-Nazi movements today. Oh, and Inglorious Basterds was a highly grossing moving in Germany, by the way.

Any specialized marketing modifications to licensed statutes, busts, etc ... could be left to the discretion of the manufacturers (Bowen, Sideshow, etc ...) for German distribution, if that were the real concern. No no, my friends. The fact that this is a UNIVERSAL BAN by Marvel of Nazi imagery reveals that more is going on here than mere modification of the product "for the German market." It is called "Political Correctness."

As to the Hydra belt, no reason the Red Skull could not wear the Hydra belt and the red Nazi armband. Indeed, it is impossible to imagine that Hitler would NOT have DEMANDED that the Red Skull wear the armband. Shesh!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:52 am »
Michael, let me clarify, I agree with you.  But Marvel has a concern about not promoting Nazi imagery, even as villians.