Author Topic: TRON Legacy reviewed  (Read 4860 times)

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
Re: TRON Legacy reviewed
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:29 pm »
Wow, all the sci-fi zealots here and most of you have never seen the orig. TRON? Amazing. Well, on second thought it's probably more about computers than sci-fi but still, when it premiered in what...'82 it was groundbreaking, cinematic-wise.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:16:01 pm »
Wow, all the sci-fi zealots here and most of you have never seen the orig. TRON? Amazing. Well, on second thought it's probably more about computers than sci-fi but still, when it premiered in what...'82 it was groundbreaking, cinematic-wise.

I saw the original. That's why I love this sequel. I love it more than The Dark Knight. The 3D version isn't much of an improvement, but it's a great film that isn't trying to be as complicated at The Matrix.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Jihad the Roughneck

• Thomas Sankara was the greatest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 12:54:52 pm »
I saw the 1st Tron.  This one was a bit derivative.  The tron cycle scene reminded me of the Pod race in episode 1.  Bridges did to much Lebowski and I thought the plane scene with the turret was very Star Wars. 3D Star Wars Lebowski in day glo? Nigga please!
I've got bass tone, I use cologne
and I rock the funky rhymes on the microphone
RUNDMC perfection

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »
Tron precedes Star Wars Episode 1. The light cycle game shouldn't be anything new to those familiar with Tron. Kevin Flynn always acted like a hippy, even back in the first film. So I don't get why the audience keeps making these kind of assumptions.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »
Tron precedes Star Wars Episode 1. The light cycle game shouldn't be anything new to those familiar with Tron. Kevin Flynn always acted like a hippy, even back in the first film. So I don't get why the audience keeps making these kind of assumptions.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere where Bridges said the Dude was inspired by Flynn, not the other way around. Since almost no one saw Tron 1 but everyone saw The Big Lebowski, yeah, I can people thinking it was Dude part 2 in the second Tron.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 02:20:26 pm »

I could have sworn I saw somewhere where Bridges said the Dude was inspired by Flynn, not the other way around. Since almost no one saw Tron 1 but everyone saw The Big Lebowski, yeah, I can people thinking it was Dude part 2 in the second Tron.
What do you mean almost no one saw Tron 1? That's not at all what I remembered when I was kid and saw the flick. Not to mention the numerous games and other products that spawned off that film. I agree that Disney didn't do a good enough job of marketing that film, but folks still went to see it. If anything for, what was at the time, ground breaking special effects and the like. Did it get the hordes of fanfare as a Star Wars? No, not in the slightest, but it got a decent viewership.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:16:12 am »

What do you mean almost no one saw Tron 1?

I mean exactly what I said, unless they were bootlegging the heck out of it. As of today the 1982 movie has grossed 33 million. Any movie that takes almost TWO DECADES to make back only DOUBLE its budget is a flop, no matter how you slice it. Maybe the toys and games sold well, I don't know, but the movie did not.

But flop = nobody saw it, and that was actually what Disney was banking on. If you notice Tron: Legacy can serve as both a sequel and a soft reboot (for instance, Tron was clumsy with ONE disc so how he suddenly became a ninja-master with TWO doing flips and ish should have been the first clue). Nobody (virtually no one) saw it, so no one will be too upset over any changes or contradictions to the previous mythos. They kept the spirit alive, and the characters thankfully, but it could easily function as its own separate entity, which I think is the point: I believe Disney wants a trilogy.

I agree that Disney didn't do a good enough job of marketing that film, but folks still went to see it.

Both of these are the opposite, apparently Disney aggressively marketed Tron but people still didn't go to see it based on bad reviews. It earned 4.7 its opening weekend, going to #2 at the box office. E.T. was number #1 so I can kinda see why. The movie cost 17 million to make, earned 4.7 million its opening weekend, and it took it 28 years to earn 28 million more? 28 years to make double the return on its budget. How exactly is that not a flop? The few people who did see it gave it bad word of mouth, that's why not many more saw it and why it was a flop. It did not get decent viewership, sorry, far from it.

Some reading:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=Tron%2C+1982%2C+flop&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
http://www.google.com/search?q=Tron%2C+1982%2C+failure&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin