Author Topic: David Fincher On His Future Plans – Fantastic Voyage In 3D, Rendezvous With Rama  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
from BLEEDING COOL:

David Fincher On His Future Plans – Fantastic Voyage In 3D, Rendezvous With Rama, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud

Submitted by Brendon Connelly on December 31, 2010 – 7:29 am

At the moment, David Fincher is busy at work on The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo, and beyond that has two more, potential Millenium/Girl With… pictures to get done. Somewhere along the line, though, I’m sure there’s a good chance that he’ll take a break from the Swedish noir and apply himself to something different.

Collider have an interview with Fincher, ostenisbly to promote the DVD and Blu-ray release of The Social Network. As you’d expect, the chatter does turn to news-farming queries about Fincher’s future pictures.

Here’s the mention of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

Collider: I’m curious your thoughts on this thing called 3D.

Fincher: I think it’s cool… when it’s done right.

Collider: Exactly. Do you envision yourself, in any of your future projects right now, doing 3D?

Fincher: Yeah. 20,000 Leagues will be 3D.

Collider: So I guess my final question is do you think 20,000 Leagues could be your next film?

Fincher: I think that there’s a lot of movies that could be my next film.

More briefly, here’s Fincher on The Reincarantion of Peter Proud, a potential remake of a Lee J. Thompson sci-fi thriller from the 70s:

I’d love to make that movie. It’s f*cking great. Great script.

And then considerably less briefly, here he is on Rendezvous with Rama:

Rendezvous With Rama is a great story that has an amazing role for Morgan Freeman who is an amazing actor and would be amazing in this thing. The question was can we get a script that’s worthy of Morgan and can we get a script that is worthy of Arthur Clarke and can we do all of that in an envelope that will allow the movie to take the kinds of chances that it wants to take. ‘Cuz we want to make a movie where kids go out of the theatre and instead of buying an action figure they buy a telescope. That was the hope. The hope is, let’s get people interested in the f*cking movie, you know… So there have been people that have been interested in this idea and we have never been able to get a script. So the answer is, you know, is the story good enough, is the script the best telling of the story, is there an undeniable person to hang it on, is it technologically feasible. All those things come into play.

When lofty ambitions meet tall hurdles.

It’s worth noting that all three of the pictures under discussion are science fiction, of varying degrees of fantastical improbability. Coincidence or appetite?

I’ll put my chips on 20,000 Leagues being next. We might as well assume now that Fincher will be shooting on the Red EPIC too.