Author Topic: New Church In 2011?  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
New Church In 2011?
« on: January 01, 2011, 02:02:37 pm »
Well you know 2011 is all about changes. Here am I about to try and find a new church after about 28 years of being at the same one. It is so hard and kind of weird. In Los Angeles we have 3 major AA churches. I/we have decided to go somewhere closer to home and due to some changes at our own church.

So we decide on a location as I'm watching on line the new "Pastor" is walking and preaching from an ipad is this what it's come to in 2011?

Come on fellow HEFFAs lend a hand before I realize I'm about to drink the kool-aid!

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Church In 2011?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:58 am »

So we decide on a location as I'm watching on line the new "Pastor" is walking and preaching from an ipad is this what it's come to in 2011?

Come on fellow HEFFAs lend a hand before I realize I'm about to drink the kool-aid![/color]

No disrespect intended, Cheirel....but if you're watching the Pastor's sermon via your iPad, what is the issue with the Pastor preaching from his iPad?  Isn't modern technology essential, even inside the Church? 
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point. 
Please elaborate?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:45:12 pm »
No disrespect taken at all. I was actually on my laptop. But that was kinda the whole point of what we where sayin is this really odd or was more a sign of the times. I mean Ipads are essential for life for some.

Then again there were no video screens, drums or anything more elaborate than an organ 25 years ago. I would like to just pick a nice decent church.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »
What are your criteria for a decent church?  Others should list their requirements as well.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:30:37 am »
My pastor uses an ipad too.

For me a church must be first and foremost doctrinally correct in the essential core beliefs.
then the pastor must challenge me and be interesting.  There needs to be a place for me to be involved.  I have to feel a connection to the people too but most of all, I have to believe that this is where God wants me.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
I need to feel there are still good ole core God seeking/fearing beliefs. Learning/teaching/leading/reminding for my family. Kip thanx for sharing about your church so I guess it isn't that uncommon OR it's the same place ;).

I want my daughter to have not only spiritual guidance but feel apart of a community. As I type this I wonder why am I leaving my old church.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:42 pm »
Why is fear of God part of the criteria?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:18 am »

Not to speak for Cheriel, but "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."  This fear is not the idea of terror, but is closer to respect.  But it is not respect either.  It is an acknowledgement that God is God and you are not.  It is knowing that while He is the God of love, He is also holy and the God of justice too.   It falls closer to the idea of when bunch of kids stop talking when the teacher steps in the room and wait for her to speak.   But never take it so far as, living your life afraid that God will zap you.   At least this is how my doctrine take this.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:13 am »
For me a church must be first and foremost doctrinally correct in the essential core beliefs.

Just for clarification, does this mean you seek a church that believes what you believe?
How do you make that determination?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:07:09 am »

Just for clarification, does this mean you seek a church that believes what you believe?
How do you make that determination?

I am tempted to make a smart-alec statement like--"'doctrinally correct' and 'what I believe' are one in the same!!!!".    Though in a less joking voice, I do believe what I believe is doctrinally correct;  after all why believe it if i didn't think it was right.   (But that discussion could lead into another thread). 

How do I make that determination?  First I tend to look at the material the church offers;  usually they have the church's core beliefs laid out somewhere.  (I can also find this on websites.)  If I know what college the Pastor attended; that usually helps.  Getting a copy of the church's constitiion or charter can help too.   Second, I may talk with people, like staff.  And then there is listening to sermons, live or taped helps too.  But I do this step mostly to know if this is a a guy I can listen to.  Not every speaker fits every listener.

I also tend to do this in steps.  There are certain beliefs that are essential.  (Again that could be a whole thread alone) and then there are doctrines and practices that I consider very important and would want, but I could be flexible there; and then there are some that are some doctrines and practices that aren't as important; some I might not even have come to a firm decision on myself.  (I wouldn't say, not important, just not as important as the first two catagories.)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 10:23:27 am »
Let's not hold back on these "whole other thread" ideas.  That's what this section is here for. 

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Not to speak for Cheriel, but "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."  This fear is not the idea of terror, but is closer to respect.  But it is not respect either.  It is an acknowledgement that God is God and you are not.  It is knowing that while He is the God of love, He is also holy and the God of justice too.   It falls closer to the idea of when bunch of kids stop talking when the teacher steps in the room and wait for her to speak.   But never take it so far as, living your life afraid that God will zap you.   At least this is how my doctrine take this.

Exactly. That is how I had been taught so to be speak. The fear is not a shaking but of reverence.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »
...listening to the Al Sharpton radio show today, he had a guest on, a Bishop Carlton Pearson, my first time hearing of the guy.. during the conversation Pearson offered some interesting points on working one's way out of fundamentalist or literalist dogma and looking to a more holistic interpretation of Scriptures.. apparently he has a website and stuff- http://bishoppearson.com/
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:30:36 pm »
I've gone to the same church since childhood and I want to change but can't. I'm not growing but the nostalgia is overwhelming.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:52:59 am »
I've gone to the same church since childhood and I want to change but can't. I'm not growing but the nostalgia is overwhelming.

If you are willing to share, please elaborate. I'd love to hear more. What prevents you from changing? What are you looking for?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."