Author Topic: Marvel Knights: Black Panther - DVD Trailer " BRINGS THE HYPE!!!!"  (Read 15891 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
This was like watching a trailer in the movies. Excellent editing. This should definitely be made into alive action film. I hope Reg has a few autograph copies left. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxd3Vsnoqvk Panther fans rejoice.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline excelsior

• View Profile
Re: Marvel Knights: Black Panther - DVD Trailer " BRINGS THE HYPE!!!!"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:09 pm »
I have to give you a PERSONAL THANK YOU!

This was such a beautiful piece of work.   I have waited a life time to see something like this, featuring one of my favorite comic book characters. I share it with the kids. And they know they can be more in life--President.  And they can enjoy a comic hero that looks like them.

Blessings to you and yours.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:50 pm »
I picked the DVD up last night. Watched the whole thing through, while I was working at my art desk. It was... awesome! I loved the re-imagining of Reggie's original six issues and the inclusion of Storm. JRJR artwork animated? Even more awesome! Plan to watch it again tomorrow.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »
I have to give you a PERSONAL THANK YOU!

This was such a beautiful piece of work.   I have waited a life time to see something like this, featuring one of my favorite comic book characters. I share it with the kids. And they know they can be more in life--President.  And they can enjoy a comic hero that looks like them.

Blessings to you and yours.
Thank you so much.  And welcome to the forum.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »
I picked the DVD up last night. Watched the whole thing through, while I was working at my art desk. It was... awesome! I loved the re-imagining of Reggie's original six issues and the inclusion of Storm. JRJR artwork animated? Even more awesome! Plan to watch it again tomorrow.
Thanks!!!!

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
where can i digital download . it's not on itunes.

Offline isaiah_bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 09:16:17 pm »
here's what a customer reviewer wrote on amazon.com

This review is from: Marvel Knights: Black Panther (DVD)
Someone once said you should write from experience. This video in terms of dialogue and EXTREMELY implausible politically hacked plotline shows that both the writers and producers have no knowledge of either real or comic book history and couldn't care less because they needed to wave their mindless drivel for all to see. The anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic, anti-Capitalist bias is soooooo thick in this video you might as well call it propaganda and not entertainment. It looked more like an animated Michael Moore wet dream of Black Panther and Wakanda. I wish I could have given this nightmare of a video dripping with conspiracy wing-nuttery NO STARS but alas I must give it something. Just to illustrate a few....

1. Captain America - A SUPER SOLDIER gets it handed to him easily by Black Panther. Not to mention, he comes off as NOT Captain America. He wants to fight BP because......??!! Ummmh, No.

2. The US is portrayed as being some gov't run by unpowered supervillains who hire mercenaries to take out Black Panther. Why??? If the US wants to take over Wakanda, SHIELD, Nick Fury.

3. Black Knight gives some outlandish speech about Christianity being needed by the Africans, umh Christiainity has been in Africa since the time of the Apostles. Go read a history book Hudlin!

4. BP goes after the dictator of neighboring Niganda. Why??? HE LEAVES HIS COUNTRY UNDER ATTACK!!! Is BP simple?

5. The Catholic Church is still fighting Holy Wars??? Moreso, why are they even involved??

6. The Wakandans are portrayed as being oh so virtuous and not one of them, NOT ONE is a scummy lowlife. But the US, Catholic Church and the "EVIL" corporations of the world are. Why then is Wakanda still around. I don't care how tough and "advanced" they are. If everyone on the planet is out to get you. IT'S OVER, nuff said.

7. Black Panther comes off more as a simple-minded, angry angst ridden over-edumacated (yeah i spelled it right) juvenile with issues from one of our "glorious" politically-correct institutions of higher unlearning then the anyone I'd let run my toilet much less a country.

To the writers and producers of this tripe and at Marvel. Stop Producing Garbage!! Do you guys even think this through?
Please spare us anymore of your politically hacked storylines which even in themselves lack ANY plausibility.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:00 am »
here's what a customer reviewer wrote on amazon.com

This review is from: Marvel Knights: Black Panther (DVD)
Someone once said you should write from experience. This video in terms of dialogue and EXTREMELY implausible politically hacked plotline shows that both the writers and producers have no knowledge of either real or comic book history and couldn't care less because they needed to wave their mindless drivel for all to see. The anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic, anti-Capitalist bias is soooooo thick in this video you might as well call it propaganda and not entertainment. It looked more like an animated Michael Moore wet dream of Black Panther and Wakanda. I wish I could have given this nightmare of a video dripping with conspiracy wing-nuttery NO STARS but alas I must give it something. Just to illustrate a few....

1. Captain America - A SUPER SOLDIER gets it handed to him easily by Black Panther. Not to mention, he comes off as NOT Captain America. He wants to fight BP because......??!! Ummmh, No.

2. The US is portrayed as being some gov't run by unpowered supervillains who hire mercenaries to take out Black Panther. Why??? If the US wants to take over Wakanda, SHIELD, Nick Fury.

3. Black Knight gives some outlandish speech about Christianity being needed by the Africans, umh Christiainity has been in Africa since the time of the Apostles. Go read a history book Hudlin!

4. BP goes after the dictator of neighboring Niganda. Why??? HE LEAVES HIS COUNTRY UNDER ATTACK!!! Is BP simple?

5. The Catholic Church is still fighting Holy Wars??? Moreso, why are they even involved??

6. The Wakandans are portrayed as being oh so virtuous and not one of them, NOT ONE is a scummy lowlife. But the US, Catholic Church and the "EVIL" corporations of the world are. Why then is Wakanda still around. I don't care how tough and "advanced" they are. If everyone on the planet is out to get you. IT'S OVER, nuff said.

7. Black Panther comes off more as a simple-minded, angry angst ridden over-edumacated (yeah i spelled it right) juvenile with issues from one of our "glorious" politically-correct institutions of higher unlearning then the anyone I'd let run my toilet much less a country.

To the writers and producers of this tripe and at Marvel. Stop Producing Garbage!! Do you guys even think this through?
Please spare us anymore of your politically hacked storylines which even in themselves lack ANY plausibility.

It wasn't written for Glen Beck. The story makes a s much since as any of the Tom Hanks movies about the Vatican.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:36:36 am »

Myself and several friends and cousin purchased the dvd on the first day. Everyone loved it, even the ones not into comics. The music video was fantastic. We wanted a longer version of the song and now we have it. Reg's interview was spot on and a welcomed special feature. I constantly watch the trailer and have viewed all the episodes half a dozen times. Love the cover inside and out as well as the dvd label. I've  waited a long time for the Black Panther to have a cartoon and this was worth the wait. We're gonna post it on our website and give it a great write up.

Here is what RolandJP of CBR had this to say:

Just watched the Black Panther Marvel Knights DVD for a second time. Someone should post the Life Styles of the Rich & Murderous segment featuring Niganda President Mmbutu.

That was genius. Priest maybe the greatest writer to scribe Panther, But Hudlin had his moments of excellence.

Im going to give Reggie his props--He wrote a Cinematic Panther book. And I think it will be appreciated with peeps that see the DVD. Because you cant catch the Nuance of his text by just reading.

When a voice actor delivers the lines as intended you can hear the inflection of sarcasm and dry humor.

But when read, the same lines get lost in translation and I think that was the case..
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 06:55:49 am »
Thank you Ture.  One of the first compliments I recieved about the series from when it was a short was that the tone comes through much clearer in this format.

LIFESTYLES OF THE RICH AND MURDEROUS...I had so much fun doing that.  I actually forgot about it until just reading this.  My head is so deep in my next project.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »
I bought a copy at Barnes and Noble on the second day of release.

Really enjoyed it!

With the exception of a X-Men foe that was used (I don't want to spoil anything)It kept true to what Mr. Reginald Hudlin did in the comic.

The animation reminded me of the old Marvel cartoons that aired that used the works of Jack Kirby and Don Heck, although with new technology/techniques, Black Panther was much more fluid.

Great voice casting and great hearing Stan. I knew it was him as soon as he spoke.  I was pleasantly surprised that Kerry handled her character so well.

My only constructive criticism is that I wish it was more fully animated. (It did not take away from the joy of watching art. It is just a preference.) 

Also I wished there was a commentary track with Reggie and John Romita Jr.

Reggie (let me know if it okay to call you that) if I could ask 2 questions in regards -

Was it a licensing decision or a creative decision in regards to the usage of the X-Men protagonist rather than who you originally had in the book?

Also, It was never stated that the Black Panther had a sister. Is the Marvel Knights line an alternative universe than the original Lee-Kirby Universe?

Great work and highly recommended. I look forward to more animated works by Reggie.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »
Thanks James 72.

To answer your question, yes the Rhino was not available because he is considered part of the "Spider Man" family and whatever the deal is with Sony does not allow him to make appearances like that.

But Juggernaut was available and considering he's even more high profile after his appearance in X MEN 3, I gladly used him instead. 

I created Shuri, she didn't exist before, but she is canon now. 

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:33:03 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Reggie.

Lets see -

House Party, Cosmic Slop, The Ladies Man. Bebe's Kids, Boomerang. You and Bruce Timm are the rare cats, that when your name is attached to a project, you can always expect greatness.

Keep doing it!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »
GODDAMN, THAT TRAILER WAS AWESOME!!! ;D ;D ;D
I can't wait to pick up my copy (had to pay %^$@in' property taxes at the end of last year! >:()
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:55:29 pm by Battle »

Offline True Father 7

• Honorary Wakandan
  • The maker the owner the cream of the planet earth
    • View Profile
    • True's myspace page
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 01:42:08 am »
I love the dvd, just wish there was more special features like vids in link below
http://marvel.com/news/story/14832/marvel_knights_animation_black_panther_now_on_dvd

wait don't tell me, there is going to be a second version with all those tidbits right? lol

I also wish there would have been more of an explanation as to why it didn't come out on BET. Guess we'll have to settle for the following interview
http://www.newsarama.com/tv/reginal-hudlin-black-panther-110110.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:55:23 am by True Father 7 »
"Don't count the days, make the days count"-Muhammad Ali