Author Topic: Teleconferencing technology...  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
Teleconferencing technology...
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:59:10 am »
Hey Curtis or any of you other technologically inclined...

I'm mulling over whether or not it is worth it to convince the church I work for to allow me to attend staff meetings via teleconference rather than driving 50 miles there (and 50 miles back). I know that right now, for instance, I've got a pinched nerve in my driving leg and it is excruciating after an hour in the car. I'm looking for more options. Majority of my non-job-life is up here.

Any suggestions for things to look into?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Teleconferencing technology...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:32:49 am »
Is it "your" meeting or are you just "in" the meeting? 

I'd say try skyping it and if there's a problem go back to hitting the road.  But how much is there really to talk about? 

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »
I work with people virtually all the time. Often it's actually more productive. I'd say give it a try. Maybe you can start with every other meeting or whatever works.

How frequent are these meetings anyway and how long do they typically last? How many participants and is there a good speakerphone at the meeting site?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »
Is it "your" meeting or are you just "in" the meeting? 

I'd say try skyping it and if there's a problem go back to hitting the road.

For the most part, I'm just "in" the meeting. If I could remotely do music rehearsals... well... my groups would probably sound really sh*tty.

I work with people virtually all the time. Often it's actually more productive. I'd say give it a try. Maybe you can start with every other meeting or whatever works.

How frequent are these meetings anyway and how long do they typically last? How many participants and is there a good speakerphone at the meeting site?

The average meeting appears to last about two hours and have 5-6 people total, though the committee meeting I attended tonight had 9 show up. They do have speakerphones in the building.

It's not so much an "every staff meeting" thing (which are weekly) as much as certain committee meetings that occur outside my regular work schedule on a night or day I would not otherwise be there. (Once or twice a month.) Today, for instance, I played a funeral in the morning and had a 7-hour gap from the end of the funeral to tonight's committee meeting. (I'm usually there Wednesdays and Sundays.) I drove back, worked on things at home, and went back. There have also been other days I have loaded up my trunk and carted as much as I could in there and basically camped out. (I don't recommend practicing piano in a cold sanctuary, BTW.) I'll consider it a success if it allows me to keep the physically-present schedule consolidated to just those two days. It also gives me another option if the winter weather or my father's health become an issue on a day of a normal staff meeting. There are times I can REALLY use that 2 hours of commute time.

But how much is there really to talk about?

During these staff/committee meetings? Usually... NOTHING!!!!

Wait... you mean about teleconferencing... Honestly, maybe I just thought it was this boogeyman that I barely looked at before. I do have a couple of friends that use Skype, so I'll check into it.

Or I suppose I could just call in and ask them to turn on the speakerphone. (Curtis... Your "new" superpower is the ability to reduce all but the most stubborn of men to embarrassed silence by pointing out most obvious, yet last thought-of solution.)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:54 am »
Yeah, I two hour meeting you barely participate in?  Yeah man, put you on speakerphone and call it a day. 

And yes, Curtis' logic powers are amazing.