Author Topic: Wakanda:Africa's biggest disappointment !  (Read 12479 times)

Offline Donkeyman

• View Profile
Wakanda:Africa's biggest disappointment !
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:52:15 am »
How can the world's most advance civilization stand idle while the entire Africa is/was being exploited and subjugated by  European powers? Wakanda should ve been at the forefront for the liberation of Africa, yet instead they practiced an isolation policy which allowed the continent to be devastated by others. Wakanda is clearly Africa's biggest disappointment!     

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Wakanda:Africa's biggest disappointment !
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
The question is, was Wakanda prepared for a world war?  Because that's what would happen if they liberated colonies of the United Kingdom, Portugal, France and The United States.  Or, looking at the modern version, the United States, China, OPEC and any number of multinational corporate interests. 

Offline Donkeyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »

If the cost of  an estimated 20 million to 300 million African souls isn't enough to warrant fighting a world war then provide me with a better reason. Wakanda's inactivity was cowardly and immoral, for  they  had  the means to liberate the whole continent yet they refused to intervene. In fact, the  only time Wakanda is   banging  is when  it's own border are threaten.Wakanda fast fact: Number of African countries liberated by Wakanda    0

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:36:41 pm »
Well; why would Wakandan die for their enemies? Especially for enemies who would sell them into slavery if they had the chance?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:11:54 pm »
I thought Zimbabwe was Africa's biggest disappointment, although some would say it's really South Africa. Can its democracy even survive after Mandella?

Wakanda owes the African nations even less than the former colonial powers. Decades of independence and they still can't get their sh*t together? This must be how the Greeks felt when they spent centuries developing 'democracy'.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
I need to add a comment.  We got to remember this is just a comic.  I don't mean to sound condescending, but super-heroe comics follow certain rules.  One of which is, keep the world as close to reality as possible.  That is, you just accept that somethings that should happen if you follow them to their logical conclusion, don't happen because it would change too much.

For example, Reed, Tony, Hank Pym and McCoy would have probably cured cancer and eliminated America's need of foreign oil, especially considering how much alien tech they have access to.  But they don't; because it would change too much.  

Yeah sometimes you will tell a story touching on these "changing the world" storylines, but they really don't change anything.  So while Wakanda would change the face of Africa if it was in the real world, in the comic world it would be doomed to fail if it tried to change things.  

So really within the rules that Marvel and DC play by; Wakanda really couldn't do anything then or now.  If they tried, writers would have to write reasons why they failed; because if they suceeded then Marvel's America would look nothing like it does now and that doesnt work.  The better way is what Reggie suggested, why they shouldn't try.  After all, creating a backstory where Wakanda failed to stop the European nations, doesn't enhance their reputation for power. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:07:28 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 05:43:26 am »

That is, you just accept that somethings that should happen if you follow them to their logical conclusion, don't happen because it would change too much.

For example, Reed, Tony, Hank Pym and McCoy would have probably cured cancer and eliminated America's need of foreign oil, especially considering how much alien tech they have access to.  But they don't; because it would change too much.  

Yeah sometimes you will tell a story touching on these "changing the world" storylines, but they really don't change anything.  So while Wakanda would change the face of Africa if it was in the real world, in the comic world it would be doomed to fail if it tried to change things.  

So really within the rules that Marvel and DC play by; Wakanda really couldn't do anything then or now.  If they tried, writers would have to write reasons why they failed; because if they suceeded then Marvel's America would look nothing like it does now and that doesnt work.  The better way is what Reggie suggested, why they shouldn't try.  After all, creating a backstory where Wakanda failed to stop the European nations, doesn't enhance their reputation for power.  

Agreed.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:34:56 am »
Don't start fights you can't win. 

How is a small country like Wakanda going to defeat every major empire on Earth? 

And more importantly, do these countries want saving? As pointed out earlier in this thread, are any of these countries trying to emulate the Wakandan cultural lifestyle that leads to true power? 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:00:41 am »
Reggie, maybe you did too good of a job selling Wakanda's standing; even I forget that" most powerful" nation doesn't mean more power than everyone combined.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:40:25 am »
I had thought about the question he asked when I first took on the book.

Look at how fighting Afghanistan drained the USSR and how fighting two wars has drained the US economy. 

Fighting a global war with no allies is pretty daunting.

The only way for them to have any kind of chance would require them violating their principles and becoming the kind of people they are fighting. 

And what happens when you "win"?  Governing an entire planet, let alone trying to get them all to convert to your moral philosophy is an impossible task.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 10:43:45 am »
It would make an interesting What if?  You could do 2 versions, one where Wakanda sucesseds, and then has to deal with the ramifications of ruling half the world.  The other version could be where they failed.  (Hmm since this is the MU, one could see that war with Wakanda might bring about the rise of the superman in Europe and America 200 yrs earlier.)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 05:06:46 pm »

If the cost of  an estimated 20 million to 300 million African souls isn't enough to warrant fighting a world war then provide me with a better reason. Wakanda's inactivity was cowardly and immoral, for  they  had  the means to liberate the whole continent yet they refused to intervene. In fact, the  only time Wakanda is   banging  is when  it's own border are threaten.Wakanda fast fact: Number of African countries liberated by Wakanda    0

Dude, are you serious?

I hope you're aware of the fact that Wakanda is actually a fictional African country as opposed to a real one?

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 09:43:12 am »
I think these are legit concerns and the process of resolving it while still fitting into the confines of Marvel's and DC's strictures.I think that RH did a good job given what he has to work with.IT'S TRUE that Reed,Pym,McCoy,Banner and Stark would have come together to cure all the ills that plagued the non-Wakandan world (Wakanda already has these cures) and haven't done so.Idk why that haven't,even in comic book logic,other than the dictates of Marvel offices.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:01 pm »
I think these are legit concerns and the process of resolving it while still fitting into the confines of Marvel's and DC's strictures.I think that RH did a good job given what he has to work with.IT'S TRUE that Reed,Pym,McCoy,Banner and Stark would have come together to cure all the ills that plagued the non-Wakandan world (Wakanda already has these cures) and haven't done so.Idk why that haven't,even in comic book logic,other than the dictates of Marvel offices.
Wakanda doesn't share all its treasures the same way Stark doesn't make his technology widely available.  Why doesn't Pym wipe out hunger by enlarging food?  How many examples can we think of where life would be much better by using Stark's, Richards and Pym's genius to help humanity.  But only T'Challa gets called on it.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:29 pm »
The answer is simple.. They should make Marvel Africa an utopia. There's no logical reason for Marvel Africa to be the same way real world Africa is. Real world Africa doesn't have one of the most if not the most advanced nation on Earth but Marvel Africa does. Real world Africa doesn't have a weather goddess either.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.