Author Topic: BORAT: Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again.  (Read 9833 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
BORAT: Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again.
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:20:18 pm »
Anyone saw this film? I've heard nothing but praise from a zillion folks on campus. I plan on seeing it next week myself, it looks funny and I doubt I find anything controversial with it.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Re: BORAT: Sacha Baron Cohen is at it again.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 05:04:41 pm »
I heard it was alright. More for renting.

GrimSkill

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:57:50 am »
I don't know why it's getting so much praise, It's not Like no comedian has Ever done the "Lost Foreign Guy who knows not what he says to people" Routine before  ::) ::)

People need new ideas :-\

But I did Laugh when I heard on the News that he tried that Sthick with some Random guy in Newyork and got KNOCKED THE #@^%#$ OUT and had to go to the Hospital.

Welcome to Newyork Borat ;) ;D ;D

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:06:11 pm »
LOL, he probably went to the Bronx.  ;D
...Rassclaat.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
if it ain't broke don't fix it.  The Borat character is as funny now as the concept has been in the past.

Borat was the funniest movie I have seen in a long time.  I can't wait for his follow up, Bruno.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:14:25 am »
It is friggin' hilarious. Seriously, I haven't laughted so much at a film in a long time. He nearly gets knocked out when he does his first walkabout in NY at the beginning, but another runs away from him in complete fear. Americans - are you all so weird, or is it just the white folk? ;)

Anyway, the comedy is not from 'the funny foreign guy', it's from the way his faux-naivety gets people to say stuff they'd never say in another context, often more honest and funny.

See it. It's a film that would be just as funny on DVD, but I'm saying see it in the cinema because you shouldn't have to wait that long.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 06:07:34 am »
Anyway, the comedy is not from 'the funny foreign guy', it's from the way his faux-naivety gets people to say stuff they'd never say in another context, often more honest and funny.

You hit the nail on the head.  Its funny to see the stupidity of people and how they will warn a foreigner about the blacks and the jews, something that would never be said to the people thought of as the "normal americans." 

GrimSkill

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 06:37:05 pm »

You hit the nail on the head.  Its funny to see the stupidity of people and how they will warn a foreigner about the blacks and the jews, something that would never be said to the people thought of as the "normal americans." 

Heh? some one warned him about the Blacks and the Jews? :-\

Any more racist stuff in this movie? ???

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:05:20 am »

Oh yes. He encounters a great many 'isms.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

GrimSkill

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:48:49 am »

Oh yes. He encounters a great many 'isms.

Give me a sew examples im still deciding on if I want to see this or not

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:55:31 am »
They stop at a bed and breakfast for the night and asked about a painting of a rabbi on the wall.  The woman says she painted then and when he asked why she told him they were jewish.  Borat became frightened in his room and did not know what to do since he had not seen their horns.  When they bring him dinner, he is sure they want to poisen him and spits out the food when they aren't looking.  Later in the night they see roaches, and thinking them to be the "shapre changing jews", starts to throw money at them so they would go away.  When nothing happens, they run out of the hosue screaming and take off in their car.

And yes, its actually really really funny.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:59:57 am »
THe Jewish hotel is funny, but it's acting. The funniest bits are the real bigots he comes across, like the drunken frat boys ('basically in this country, the minorities are in charge', 'I have no respect for women', etc.), the guy at the rodeo ('whenever I see a muslim fella I'm wondering 'what kinda bomb's he got on him?''), etc. The scripted bits are pretty hilarious, but there's always a balance between funny scripted and funny unscripted stuff. Cohen doesn't challenge these people, just lets them keep talking, making bigger fools of themselves, and it is very, very funny.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 06:31:30 am »
I remember seeing scenes in the trailer where Borat is in a civil war reenactment, but did not see it in the movie.  Did anyone else notice this?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 06:39:39 am »
I remember seeing scenes in the trailer where Borat is in a civil war reenactment, but did not see it in the movie.  Did anyone else notice this?
Oh yeah. DVD extra, I suppose.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:05:18 pm »
Speaking of DVDs....

Letter from China: In Shanghai, a search for ‘Borat’ turns up a crackdown on piracy
December 01, 2006
Howard W. French / International Herald Tribune

SHANGHAI: It all began with a search for “Borat.” Yes, “Borat,” the popular and somewhat controversial comedy that spoofs life in the central Asia nation, Kazakhstan.

One of the cheap pleasures of life in Shanghai in recent years has been the almost instantaneous availability of just about any Hollywood movie of any size. Hereabouts, they are hawked, together with myriad other counterfeit goods, in the impromptu bazaars that constitute some of this city’s most famous streets.

When “Borat, Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan” was late in coming, my first thought was that it was a victim of political correctness. Officials in Kazakhstan had been angered by the depiction of their country, and I briefly imagined the neighborly Chinese authorities blocking the DVD, or at least delaying it’s arrival here.

Come to think of it, though, I hadn’t seen any recent Hollywood titles being flogged on the streets here. I’d had my eye out for “The Last King of Scotland” and “Stranger than Fiction,” and they didn’t seem to be on sale either.

Curious, I visited the Ka De Club, the downtown DVD shop other foreigners had introduced me to with a knowing wink and smile when I first moved to Shanghai, three years ago. There, wide- eyed foreigners and a few Chinese customers circled the tables where the latest releases were stacked, snatching at them like sharks after chum.

I hadn’t been to the store for many months, though, and was told it had moved to another site.

The next weekend I went there, only to be told there were no Hollywood films. When I asked why, the smiling clerk said there was a crackdown under way. “Come back in 10 days,” she said, implying it would soon pass.

A Chinese friend introduced me to another shop, whose name he said was Blockbuster, just like in the United States, though with no affiliation. I went there during my lunch hour one day, only to discover that they, too, had nothing recent - and had changed their name to Hollywood Hits.

That was a couple of weeks ago, but the drought has continued. At this point, I kept looking, no longer desperate to watch “Borat,” just curious to know what was going on. Could it be that China was finally, genuinely living up to its repeated pledges to crack down on a major form of intellectual property theft?

A quick search online turned up a few clues. As it turns out, there has recently been something called the 100 Days’ Action Campaign Against Piracy. Nationwide, officials said, there had been 141 arrests and over 58 million counterfeit films, books and other products seized.

Asked for comment, officials in Shanghai’s Intellectual Property Administration bureau confirmed the campaign and said they were still carrying out orders from the central government to crack down on piracy. “We’ve been inspecting the locations where DVDs are sold, confiscating the fake ones, educating the sellers and fining them,” said Xu Hanping, an enforcement officer with the bureau. “We are assigning more people to this problem than we ever have before.”

Who knows if it will last, especially with a name that speaks of a 100-day campaign. There is certainly plenty of doubt online, where there has been a lively exchange of commentary among fans of black market DVDs, including this gem of skepticism: “After the forest fire, weeds will once again prosper once spring comes.”

On the basis of their experience, the cynicism is warranted. Chinese people have seen way too many campaigns come and go not to view them that way, especially amid a huge scandal here involving illicit enrichment of city officials.

If nothing else, though, the crackdown has already proved something important: that the Chinese government can do something about a problem it has often all but pleaded powerlessness over.

Indeed, all it takes to realize how unconvincing that pose is, is a small thought experiment. Just imagine what would happen to purveyors of DVDs featuring the banned religious group, Falun Gong, or the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama?

Perhaps, though, just perhaps, there is something more to this moment than an ephemeral crackdown. With the government pushing hard to create more value added for its industries, to foster the emergence of Chinese brands that can compete on the global stage, recent statements by senior Chinese leaders seem to suggest an appreciation of the double- edged sword that the country’s massive piracy represents.

For the complete column, please see this link:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/30/news/letter.php
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй