Author Topic: THE "WHO CAUGHT A CASE TODAY" THREAD  (Read 49840 times)

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 12, 2019, 03:27:04 pm »
Thursday, 12th September 2019
by Rebekah L. Sanders and Chelsea Curtis

(PHOENIX, AZ) – Two days after murder suspect Blane Barksdale was named one of the country’s most wanted fugitives, he and his wife were taken into custody without incident in Arizona.

The Navajo County Sheriff’s Office announced late Wednesday that it had assisted the U.S. Marshals Service in locating and arresting the Barksdales.

Authorities did not specify where they caught Blane Barksdale, 56, and his wife, Susan, 59.

They had been on the run since Aug. 26, when they commandeered a prison transport van in Utah and escaped into rural Arizona.

An intense search for the couple had been underway in the county, which runs from the Utah state line south in a narrow strip to the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.

The Barksdales are suspects in the death of Frank Bligh, a 72-year-old Tucson man who has been missing since April.

The couple was being transported from New York state to Tucson when they overpowered their guards and escaped custody.

They abandoned the van, with the guards and another prisoner bound inside east of Navajo County in Apache County, according to officials.

They had been last seen driving a red GMC Sierra truck with an Arizona license plate and damage on its front passenger side and rear bumper.

The U.S. Marshals Service offered no additional details Wednesday night, and a news conference was planned Thursday morning in Phoenix.

On Monday, Blane Barksdale was elevated to the U.S. Marshals Service's 15 Most Wanted List, with the reward for information leading to his capture raised to $25,000.

A reward for information leading to the capture of Susan Barksdale was set at $10,000, and up to $5,000 was offered for information leading to the red pickup.

Residents Wednesday night quickly began posting their thanks and relief on the Navajo County Sheriff's Office website.

The search for the couple had sparked concern among residents throughout the area.
Locals said there were a million places they could have laid low among a labyrinth of dead-end roads, cattle ranches, trailers and bushy juniper trees in the high-desert backcountry of northeastern Arizona.

The couple and the red pickup seemed to have vanished into the teardrop-shaped expanse between Snowflake, Concho and Show Low.

"Who knows where they could be?" said Verlinda Adams, 65, just hours before the Barksdales were caught.

"There's so much forest around the Rim Country ... and there's so many roads," Adams added, as she ate lunch at a cafe in Taylor, not far from the area the marshals and deputies repeatedly had combed.

Navajo County Sheriff David Clouse said he cut his teeth as a young deputy on the rutted, gravel paths east of Snowflake.

The routes lead to survivalist compounds, family cabins, drug dens, horse properties, hunting grounds or sometimes nowhere at all.

"Some describe it as No Man’s Land," he said.

"But that's our backyard, and we're very familiar with it."

A typical patrol through the area could take hours from end to end, he said — let alone a manhunt for a couple assisted by a local criminal network in a territory where law enforcement cellphones and radios didn't always work, Clouse said.

"It's so remote, it's hard to make contact. So we're offering our knowledge of the roads, the people and the local lay of the land," Clouse said before the arrests. "
(The Barksdales) may have driven down their exact road, and they'll never know it because there's so many trees and their houses are set back so far. ... Your urban searches are so much easier."

Authorities searched by air and land for any sign of the couple or pickup, made warrant sweeps, property searches and arrests, Arizona U.S. Marshal David Gonzales said.

"(We were) beating the bushes," he said.

"Nothing was popping."

To ensure authorities didn't suffer from tunnel vision, they expanded the search from California to Texas in recent days.

One of the first places law enforcement swarmed was the property the Barksdales own near Vernon, about 20 miles east of Show Low, according to neighbor Joe Ferreira.

A SWAT team stormed the property a month ago or more, Ferreira estimated, some time before the couple hijacked the van.

A white RV and plywood lean-to sat nestled on their land Wednesday against a hill overlooking Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest.

The couple purchased the property in August 2018, county records showed.

Ferreira, 64, a local chef who raises chickens and ducks three doors down, joked having a neighbor on the FBI's "Top 15 Most Wanted" list was "different."

Normally, the small clump of homes is quiet and peaceful, he said.

Wind chimes and a few dogs barking were the only sounds Wednesday afternoon.

Violet and yellow wildflowers nodded in the breeze.

"No Trespassing" signs stood beside every driveway.

"That's what it's about: Do your own thing," Ferreira said.

The manhunt added some worries, he admitted.

"How can you not? You get a little nervous about it."

Every time a vehicle drives by, Ferreira said,

"We stick our nose in the window."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2019, 05:55:36 am »
Saturday, 21st September 2019
White woman denied early release in texting suicide case

by Sophie Lewis

Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman sent to jail for encouraging her boyfriend to take his own life, was denied early release, the state's parole board announced Friday.

She has served seven months of a 15-month sentence for her role in the 2014 death of Conrad Roy.

Michelle Carter, the Massachusetts woman sent to jail for encouraging her boyfriend to take his own life, was denied early release, the state's parole board announced Friday.

She has served seven months of a 15-month sentence for her role in the 2014 death of Conrad Roy.

Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2017.

Roy, 18, took his life after Carter, then 17, told him over the phone and via text to get into his carbon monoxide-filled truck.

"The [board] is troubled that Ms. Carter not only encouraged Mr. Conrad to take his own life, she actively prevented others from intervening in his suicide," the Massachusetts Parole Board said in its decision, according to CBS Boston.

"Ms. Carter's self-serving statements and behavior, leading up to and after his suicide, appear to be irrational and lacked sincerity."

The board said Carter's release was "not compatible" with the best interests of society and that her appeal failed to justify her "lack of empathy" for the crime.

Carter's attorneys have argued her texts were constitutionally protected free speech.

The state Supreme Judicial Court disagreed, upholding her conviction in February.

Carter's lawyers appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court in July, but the court has not yet decided whether it will take up the case.

Daniel Marx, who argued the case before the Supreme Judicial Court, said in February that the court's ruling "stretches the law to assign blame for a tragedy that was not a crime."

Carter remained free until her state appeals were exhausted.

She began serving her sentence in February.

The case has sparked legislative proposals to criminalize suicide coercion.

Massachusetts lawmakers have proposed "Conrad's Law," which would make convincing or manipulating someone into taking their life a crime punishable by up to five years in jail.

Carter and Roy met in 2012 while vacationing in Florida.

They lived an hour apart in Massachusetts, communicating almost exclusively via texts, online and by phone.

Both struggled with depression, and Roy had previously tried to kill himself.

Roy detailed his mental health struggles to Carter many times leading up to his death on July 12, 2014.

She sent him dozens of texts from more than 30 miles away encouraging him to kill himself and "get back in" his truck, despite his apprehensions.

"You keep pushing it off and say you'll do it but you never do.

It's always gonna be that way if you don't take action," Carter texted him on the day he died.

Two months after his death, Carter sent a text to a friend saying,

"It's my fault. I could have stopped him but I told him to get back in the car."

In a June 2017 interview with "48 Hours," Roy's mother, Lynn Roy, said she doesn't believe Carter "has a conscience."

"I think she needs to be held responsible for her actions 'cause she knew exactly what she was doing and what she said," Roy told "48 Hours" correspondent Erin Moriarty.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help.

Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2019, 02:32:56 pm »
Sunday, 22nd September 2019
White woman allegedly kills 75-year-old man, sets fire to Long Island home to cover it up

by WPIX - New York (channel 11)

(CENTRE ISLAND, N.Y.) — A Long Island woman was arrested for allegedly killing a 75-year-old man and torching his Long Island home to cover it up.

Jennifer Gross was taken into custody Friday and faces charges of second-degree murder and second-degree arson, police said.

On Nov. 20, 2018, emergency responders were called to a fire that broke out at a Centre Island home.

Authorities extinguished the blaze and found James Coppola, of Howard Beach, dead inside the home, according to police.

The blaze was determined to be suspicious, and homicide and arson squads were called to the scene.

Gross and Coppola had been involved in a violent 20-year relationship, police said.

Coppola had an order of protection against Gross when he was killed, according to authorities.

Detective Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick says Gross was arrested after she pawned jewelry that had belonged to Coppola.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2019, 02:57:20 pm »
Sunday, 22nd Spetember 2019
Manson follower Leslie Van Houten parole denied
by Colleen Shalby

A California appeals court Friday rejected Leslie Van Houten’s latest bid for release from prison.

The 70-year-old Charles Manson follower has been recommended for parole three times, and each has been rejected — twice by former Gov. Jerry Brown and most recently by Gov. Gavin Newsom.

During oral arguments in June before a panel of the 2nd District Court of Appeal, Van Houten’s attorney, Rich Pfeiffer, said his client should be released because she has been fully rehabilitated and is no longer a threat.

Jill Alicia VanderBorght, a representative of the state attorney general’s office, argued against Van Houten’s release, citing the “extreme gravity” of the crimes and her continued “minimization” of her role in them.

The appeals court declined to reverse Brown’s decision from January 2018.

Since Brown made his ruling nearly two years ago, the Board of Parole Hearings again recommended Van Houten for parole, which Newsom rejected in June.

Fifty years ago, in August 1969, the former homecoming princess was one of three who stabbed to death Los Angeles grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary, at the direction of Manson.

She was 19 at the time.

The slayings followed the killings of pregnant actress Sharon Tate, hairstylist Jay Sebring, recent high school student Steven Parent, coffee heiress Abigail Folger and her boyfriend, Voytek Frykowski.

The parole hearings have been a constant for decades.

In 1972, a California Supreme Court ruling found the state’s death penalty law unconstitutional.

The sentences of the convicted killers were changed to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

At the time, the victims’ families were assured that the change was just a technicality.

But in the years since, they’ve come to learn that release is not out of the realm of possibility.

In addition to Van Houten, Patricia Krenwinkel, 71; Bobby Beausoleil, 71; Charles “Tex” Watson, 73; and Bruce Davis, 76; remain in prison.

Davis was recently cleared for parole.

His pending release could still be blocked by Newsom.

Manson died in 2017.

Kay Hinman Martley, the cousin of Gary Hinman — the first Manson victim, killed weeks before the August 1969 rampage — and Debra Tate, the sister of Sharon Tate, have a website dedicated to the status of the so-called Manson family behind bars.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2019, 05:40:52 am »
Monday, 23rd September 2019
Florida Man Appears Happy To Get His 5th Felony DUI
by D'Ann Lawrence White

(PORT RICHEY, FL) — A New Port Richey man flashed a 100-watt smile while having his mugshot taken Friday following his fifth driving under the influence arrest.

Pasco County Sheriff's deputies arrested Gordon Ormond, 56, of Kiowa Drive after they say he violated multiple traffic laws while driving on Embassy Boulevard in Port Richey.

Deputies said Ormond ran a red light at the intersection of Glen Moor Lane while driving at a speed of 15 mph.

Deputies used their lights and sirens to signal Ormond to pull over, but he continued driving erratically, striking a basketball hoop in a driveway.

Ormond then sped up to about 35 mph in an attempt to elude deputies, they said.

Finally, deputies laid down stop sticks in the road ahead of Ormond.

Ormond stopped his car when three out of four of his tires were deflated by the stop sticks.

Ormond was charged with his 12th driving with a suspended license offense and his fifth DUI.

He was also charged with leaving the scene of an accident and fleeing to elude.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2019, 07:21:30 pm »
Monday, 23rd September 2019
'Miracle Baby' Parents Had After Suffering 6 Miscarriages Dies When Babysitter Allegedly Left Her in Hot Car
by Inside Edition Staff

A New Mexico toddler described by her parents as their miracle baby has died after being left in a hot car for hours, allegedly by her sitter, officials said.

The road to parenthood for Demi Petrowski and Zachary Hasheme was paved with unimaginable loss.

The couple had tried for children numerous times, but their efforts repeatedly ended in heartbreak.

“I had six miscarriages previously to having my daughter,” Petrowski told KOB4.

“I remember praying every single day, nonstop.”

And then little Zariah entered their lives.

But the family of three had just two years together before tragedy struck again, when police said Zariah’s babysitter forgot the toddler in her car as temperatures on Tuesday soared to 91 degrees.

Tammie Brooks, 40, allegedly forgot to drop off Zariah at her day care and instead left her in her car seat as she ran an errand, Hobbs police said.

Police were called about 1:30 p.m., several hours after Zariah had been left in the hot vehicle.

Emergency responders pronounced Zariah dead at the scene.

“I would not wish this pain and this hurt upon my worst enemy,” Petrowski said.

The devastated mother delivered the news to her husband of their daughter’s death.

“I hear Demi screaming on the other line saying that Zariah’s dead and I didn’t know what to do,” Hasheme told KOB4.

“I slammed on my brakes and pulled over.”

“I mean, you can forget to bring a pen with you, but it’s kind of hard to forget about a kid in the car,” he continued.

Brooks has been charged with abandonment or abuse of a child resulting in death, a first-degree felony, and is currently being held at the Hobbs City Jail pending arraignment.

She is due in court Monday.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help offset the costs to put Zariah to rest.

“Baby Zariah was a beautiful sweet baby girl and we need help to have a funeral,” the creator of the fundraiser wrote.

As of Monday, more than $3,000 had been raised.

In the wake of their daughter’s death, Petrowski and Hasheme have issued a plea to parents and caretakers everywhere to be more mindful to avoid another preventable tragedy.

“Always look at the backseat of the car, and if there is a child in there or you hear a child screaming, please just, you know, help,” Demi said.

“As for day care centers, if you know a child is not there at their appointed time, please contact the parents or someone on the emergency list right away.”

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2019, 05:25:11 am »
Wednesday, 25th September 2019
'Making a Murderer' Confession: Convicted Wisconsin Murderer Allegedly Confesses To Killing Teresa Halbach
by Kelly Wynne

A Wisconsin inmate has allegedly confessed to the murder of Teresa Halbach.

The inmate, who is unnamed until Wisconsin law enforcement has access to the said confession, told filmmakers of upcoming documentary series Convicting a Murderer, that he was responsible for the infamous death, as seen on Making a Murderer.

Currently, there are two men behind bars for Halbach's death.

Both claim they are innocent.

Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey have both spent years fighting for their freedom.

Dassey took his case all the way to the Supreme Court, where his attempt at a new trial was rejected, while Avery continues the appeal process.

Shawn Rech, director of Convicting a Murderer, told Newsweek his crew were given the confession while filming the documentary series.

"We haven't confirmed the legitimacy of the confession, but seeing as it was given by a notable convicted murderer from Wisconsin, we feel responsible to deliver any and all possible evidence to law enforcement and legal teams," he told Newsweek.

"Having been in production for 20 months, we've uncovered an unfathomable amount of information and evidence that is leading us to the truth. Our investigation does not end here."

Rech also confirmed the confession did not come from Dassey or Avery.

If the secret inmate's confession is found reliable, it could spark freedom for both Dassey and Avery.
Much of America joined forces to support exoneration for the uncle and nephew pair after two parts of Making a Murderer premiered on Netflix in 2016.

The documentary series took viewers into the lives of Dassey and Avery's families while diving deep into forensic evidence that could point at a third party killer.

Kathleen Zellner, Avery's current lawyer, has a handful of theories that point to other members of the Dassey family as Halbach's killers.

She's spent years recreating parts of the crime scene and evidence in hopes of proving Avery couldn't have committed the murder he's convicted of.

If Avery is exonerated, it will be the second time he was wrongly convicted of a violent crime in the state of Wisconsin.

Convicting a Murderer is a 10-part documentary series currently in post-production, according to the Internet Movie Database.

The series aims to be a sequel to Making a Murderer, but will include parts the Netflix series left out, Rech told Newsweek in January.

"I watched Making a Murderer, like tens of millions of others," Rech said.

"After watching the series I was angry with law enforcement, and even embarrassed as an American because of what appeared to have happened to Steven and Brendan. But after doing a little bit of follow-up research I learned that not only did I not have the whole story, but I was misled by the series. And I'm saying this as a fan, not as an established documentary filmmaker."

In the docu-series, a handful of law enforcement figures who believe Avery is guilty, like Andy Colburn, are expected to appear.

Convicting a Murderer is expected to come out on a to-be-determined streaming platform in 2020, according to Rech, who said it will be finalized in March.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2019, 06:04:07 pm »
Tuesday, 24th September 2019
Animal rescue operators charged after more than 140 dogs die
by Associated Press

(COLE CAMP, Mo.) — A couple who operated an animal rescue face multiple charges after 120 dogs and a cat were found dead in Missouri and about two dozen more dogs died in Texas.

More than 200 other animals were rescued from conditions that law enforcement described as "inhumane and unimaginable."

Forty-nine-year-old Tiffany Woodington was charged Friday in Missouri with 10 counts of felony animal abuse and two misdemeanor counts of animal abuse.

Her husband, 55-year-old Steven Woodington, was charged earlier this month in Texas with several counts of animal cruelty.

A second man described as the caretaker also was charged in Texas with animal cruelty.

All three are free on bond.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2019, 07:14:29 am »
Thursday, 26th September 2019
Utah white man, 22, gets life without parole for rape, murder of 5-year-old niece

by Frank Miles

A Utah man who pleaded guilty to murdering and sexually assaulting his 5-year-old niece was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole Tuesday.

Judge Kevin K. Allen scolded Alex Whipple for the “incomprehensible” terror he inflicted on Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley, her family and the community.

“You will never see the light of day. You will never breathe fresh air again,” Allen said. “What you did was so abhorrent and vile that you must spend the rest of your life in prison.”

Lizzy’s disappearance in May triggered a massive search and widespread concern in the picturesque mountain valley community of Logan.

“How could someone do this to their own niece?” said Dejay Smith, Lizzy’s uncle.

“I would hope to never see a monster like him walk through this community again.”

Then Smith turned around and spoke directly to Whipple.

“There are few things that are more vile than your actions,” Smith said.

“You are the worst kind of person humanity has to offer.”

Another uncle, Zachary Black, also spoke directly to Whipple, who sat only a few feet away.

“You are filth,” he said.

“I hope you spend the rest of your life in a tiny box.”

The 22-year-old Whipple declined to speak, hung his head and showed no emotion during the hearing.

He pleaded guilty last month to murder, kidnapping and sexual assault as part of an agreement that dismissed charges of obstruction of justice and desecration of a body, as Fox 13 News reported.

Whipple's attorney, Shannon Demler, said his client was raised in an "imperfect" family, was physically abused as a child and developed mental health and substance abuse issues while homeless.

He added that Whipple knew he committed a horrible act and was ready to accept his punishment.

Police say Whipple killed Lizzy on May 25 after his sister let him spend the night at the family home.
Authorities have said they found the girl’s blood on Whipple’s clothing, and a bloody, broken knife from the family’s kitchen near where the body was hidden.

Lizzy was missing for five days before Whipple told police where to find the child’s body — in the woods less than a block from her house — after prosecutors agreed not to seek the death penalty.

Relatives remembered Lizzy as a sweet, happy little girl who loved drawing, being outdoors and rainbow-colored butterflies.

A poster board with pictures of Lizzy and rainbow-colored butterflies was placed on an easel in the front of the courtroom.

A victim advocate who worked with the family brought a pair of rainbow-colored tennis shoes Lizzy was excited to wear to kindergarten.

Cache County Attorney James Swink called Whipple’s crime a “vicious” and “violent” act that made the community feel “a little less safe, a little more vulnerable.”

Lizzy’s mother, Jessica Black, didn’t come to court because she said she couldn’t bear being in the same room as her brother, but she spoke to reporters afterward and released butterflies to remember her daughter.

She called it a difficult day, but thanked the community for their support.

“I would give anything to be reunited with her, to hug her and hold her one more time,” she said, crying.

“Our lives will never be the same. We will never forget our sweet girl and the happiness and sunshine she brought us.”

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2019, 12:19:48 pm »
Thursday, 26th September 2019
Former student, linked by fingerprints, is arrested in 1996 school arson

by ABC News

Twenty-three years after a South Carolina high school was set on fire, a former student -- allegedly linked by his fingerprints -- has been arrested for arson, authorities said.

In the middle of the night in August 1996, Macedonia High School was vandalized and set ablaze, with books in hallways used as kindling, Berkeley County Sheriff Duane Lewis said.

The fire wasn't discovered until hours later and the building was "totally destroyed," he said.

"This school represented a community. It was where everything happened. And the people in Macedonia had a love for this school," the sheriff said at a news conference on Wednesday.

"And to see it totally destroyed on that Aug. 4 night really devastated a lot of people."

Sally Wofford, chair of the Berkeley County School Board, was in the last graduating class at Macedonia High School before the fire.

"This was a terrible loss of a beautiful, historic building," Wofford said at the news conference.

She said when she closes her eyes she still sees the school's "magnificent" hardwood floors and vaulted ceilings.

About two years ago the sheriff said he asked the cold case team to reexamine the unsolved crime.

That's when investigators "discovered some evidence we didn't know we had" -- "a match on a set of fingerprints that at the time was in a unique place that would have indicated involvement in this crime," Lewis said.

He did not elaborate on where the fingerprints were found.

Fingerprint experts identified Daniel Scott Harris, 40, as a suspect; he has been charged with second-degree arson and second-degree burglary, according to the sheriff's office.

Harris was a 17-year-old student at Macedonia High School at the time of the fire, Lewis said.

Based on evidence at the scene, authorities believe more suspects were involved in the arson and burglary, the sheriff said, and he asked anyone with information to come forward.
"I can only pray that the guilty parties will fully understand that they did far more than burn down a building," Berkeley County Schools Superintendent Eddie Ingram said.

"They burned a hole that in some ways can never be filled."

"We are so heartbroken but we are also relieved," said Wofford, the school board chair.

"I pray this brings closure to a lot of people in a community that I represent that made me who I am."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 27, 2019, 02:48:18 am »
Friday, 27th September 2019
Parents charged after 11-month-old boy overdoses on heroin
by WGAL (NBC News affiliate)

The parents of an 11-month-old Chester County boy are charged after he overdosed on heroin and fentanyl and had to be revived with Narcan, Pennsylvania State Police say.

Charles Salzman Jr., 31, and Kristen Bristow, 30, of Atglen, are facing charges that include aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

State Police said the couple used heroin and fentanyl Wednesday inside a car parked behind a home on Limestone Road in West Fallowfield Township.

The boy was also in the vehicle, State Police said, and ingested the drugs after his parents fell

A family member found the child unconscious and not breathing around 6:45 p.m., investigators said.

State Police said emergency medical services personnel gave the boy multiple doses of Narcan and took him to a hospital in Delaware.

According to investigators, troopers found numerous bags of suspected heroin and fentanyl and paraphernalia inside the home.

Salzman and Bristow were taken to Chester County Prison.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:24 pm »
Friday, 27th September 2019
Oregon White woman Arrested for Allegedly Feeding Co-Workers Meth Bean Dip
by James Walker

A 38 year old Oregon woman has been arrested after she allegedly put meth in a bean dip eaten by co-workers.

Cassandra Medina-Hernandez of Albany is a worker at a grocery store in Marion County, Oregon, according to The Oregonian.

She was arrested on Wednesday.

Medina-Hernandez, pictured below, now faces charges that include causing another person to ingest a controlled substance, recklessly endangering another person and unlawful delivery of methamphetamine.

Two co-workers ate from the bean dip she allegedly spiked with meth, according to a probable cause affidavit seen by The Oregonian and Cleveland 19 News.

One of the colleagues was hospitalized as a result.

Medina-Hernandez also reportedly ate from the meth-laced bean dip she has been accused of spiking.

The grocery worker's initial bail was set at $500,000 and she is due to appear in court on October 9 following her arrest on September 25, according to inmate information on the Marion County Sheriff's Office website.

Cleveland 19 News reports that Medina-Hernandez was a worker at Thriftway but is now suspended from the role.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office in Oregon told The Oregonian that there was "no reason to believe" customers of the store were affected by meth-spiked bean dips.

Medina-Hernandez's arrest comes in the same week an Air Force Master Sergeant was detained for allegedly selling meth, cocaine and weapons.

39 year old Michael Reimers was arrested by officers on Tuesday on charges of distributing controlled substances and selling firearms without a license.

Reimers, a Las Vegas resident, is alleged to have sold several grams of meth and cocaine between July and September of this year.

The indictment against Reimers issued by a grand jury also claims he sold a 7.62 mm caliber AK-47, a 12 gauge shotgun and a .25 caliber handgun.

The Air Force Master Sergeant is on active duty and assigned to the 99th Communications Squadron at Nellis Air Force, Nevada.

Another man from Maryland spent almost three months behind bars after airport security mistook jars of honey he possessed for liquid meth.

Customs and Border Protection staff searched Leon Haughton's bag at Baltimore Washington Airport when he arrived from Jamaica on December 29 last year and discovered three honey jars, which the officers claimed tested positive for methamphetamine.

Haughton was arrested on charges including possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and was held at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center.

But he was released and all charges were dropped after another lab test showed there was "no controlled dangerous substance" in the honey.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 28, 2019, 07:18:58 am »
Saturday, 28th September 2019
Princeton grad who killed his father after his allowance was cut gets 30 years to life
by Brian Vitagliano

Thomas Gilbert Jr., who was convicted of killing his father after the older man cut back his weekly allowance, was sentenced Friday to 30 years to life in prison.

Thomas Gilbert Sr., a founding managing partner of the hedge fund Wainscott Capital, was found dead in his apartment in January 2015 with a gunshot wound to the head.

Gilbert's attorneys did not dispute that he killed his father but said he was not guilty by reason of insanity.

Jurors in June dismissed the insanity defense and convicted him of second-degree murder.

They also found him guilty on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.

He was found not guilty of criminal possession of forgery devices.

Shelley Gilbert, the victim's wife, gave a victim impact statement Friday where she said the family wanted Gilbert Jr. "to be given as light a sentence as possible."

"As I've said many times in court, we've been trying to get Tommy into a hospital for 15 years," Shelley Gilbert said.

"He's too sick to be able to judge. He needs to be in a hospital, had he been so my husband would still be alive."

She told the court she definitely plans to appeal the sentencing.

Gilbert Jr., 35, played football at Princeton and graduated with a degree in economics.

At the time of the shooting, he was 30 and unemployed, receiving up to $1,000 a week from his parents.

Hours before Thomas Sr. was killed, he cut his son's weekly allowance to $300, prosecutors said.

"We will appeal, but cannot appeal until after he is sentenced," defense attorney Arnold Levine told CNN at the time.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. had said that the elder Gilbert was killed "in spite of all his love and generosity."

In a new statement Friday, the prosecutor said:

"While nothing can undo the tragedy of Mr. Gilbert's death, I hope that the resolution of this case helps his loved ones as they continue to heal from this devastating loss."

Once part of Manhattan's social elite, the younger Gilbert lived off his parents, prosecutors say, spending his time surfing in the Hamptons.

He declined to appear in person for much of his five-week trial.

Emails between Gilbert and his parents that were shown in court depicted a tumultuous relationship.

He repeatedly asked for money, sometimes "for a charity thing," sometimes forwarding past-due bills from an exclusive athletic and social club for thousands of dollars to his mother.

In October 2014, prosecutors said, Gilbert's computer showed searches for websites that discussed forging checks and offered blank check templates.

Some of the charges he faces stem from credit card forging devices found at his home at the time of his arrest, prosecutors say.

Levine argued that Gilbert "deteriorated" around the time he began to attend Princeton.

"Nobody wanted to look at him -- that background, those looks, that schooling -- and say he could be mentally ill," Levine said.

"Nobody wanted to think it."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 28, 2019, 02:49:29 pm »
Saturday, 28th September 2019
Arson suspect set fires before attending reunion
by Associated Press

A suspected arsonist traveled from Missouri to Northern California to set more than a dozen wildfires before attending his 50th high school reunion, a newspaper reported Saturday.

A former classmate told the San Jose Mercury News that Freddie Owen Graham appeared happy at the party on Sept. 21. Graham, a Milpitas, California-native who has lived in the Kansas City area for the past three decades, didn't seem troubled or upset, Rich Santoro said.

"He was excited to come. I talked to him five or six times during the night. He was happy he was there. He told me, 'I didn't expect to have this much fun.'" Santoro said.

"It turns out he had already set the fires."

State fire investigators said Graham gave them a different impression.

After he was arrested at the airport in San Jose, Graham told them he was in an "emotional" state over the loss of his wife in 2018 when he tossed flaming pieces of paper onto the side of a road.

"Because she passed away and could not be with him, it made him emotional, starting the fires," the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection report said.

Santoro recalled Graham lamenting about attending the reunion without his wife.

Graham is being held on $2 million bail on 13 counts of arson.

He also faces two special counts of arson during a state of emergency, which was declared by Gov. Gavin Newsom in March ahead of the wildfire season.

Prosecutors said he drove through a foothill area northeast of San Jose and set 13 fires over the course of two days.

Although the fires caused no injuries or structural damage, they took dozens of firefighters using aircraft, bulldozers and other equipment hours to extinguish.

Graham was identified as the suspect after someone saw him, wrote down his rental car's license plate number and notified firefighters.

He was arrested when he was returning a rental car at the airport -- his second of the weekend, after reportedly swapping out the one seen by a witness at the fire.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 9881
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 29, 2019, 01:36:32 am »
Sunday, 29th September 2019
Woman's body found in Upstate ravine; white man in custody on murder charge
by WYFF (NBC News affiliate)

A man is in custody after a missing woman's body was found in a ravine in Gaffney, according to the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office.

Coroner Dennis Fowler said the body was found Thursday evening in a wooded area behind a home at 2420 Union Highway.

Cherokee County Sheriff Steve Mueller said Marshall Depree Lee, 42, is in custody and being held on a murder charge.

Mueller said more charges are possible.
The woman was reported missing from the Charlotte area several days ago, Mueller said.

Would You Like To Know More?