Author Topic: THE "WHO CAUGHT A CASE TODAY" THREAD  (Read 62693 times)

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2019, 06:16:37 am »
Wednesday, 6th November 2019
White woman accused of embezzling from Camp Fire victim surrenders
by Alex Johnson

An Oklahoma woman faces charges of elder abuse, embezzlement and grand theft after she surrendered to Northern California authorities who say she embezzled tens of thousands of dollars of insurance from a 75-year-old victim of last year's deadly Camp Fire.

The woman, Brenda Rose Asbury, 29, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon in Butte County Superior Court after she drove three days from Tulsa to Butte County, where she turned herself in, the sheriff's office said Tuesday.

Investigators said they'd been looking for Asbury for more than a month since a warrant was issued for her arrest in September.

They said they tracked her down in Tulsa with the help of Oklahoma authorities.

Sheriff's detectives said that they began investigating Asbury on July 30 on suspicion that she had embezzled $63,100 from the elderly Camp Fire survivor.

The money was part of an insurance settlement the victim had obtained after losing a home in the fire, the sheriff's office said.

Public records indicate that Asbury previously lived in Magalia, in Butte County, and that she was licensed as a private security officer in California from 2012 to 2014. No further information, including an attorney who could be asked to comment, was immediately available.

The Camp Fire, which started a year ago Friday in Butte County, killed 85 people, burned more than 153,000 acres, destroyed almost 19,000 structures and wiped most of the town of Paradise off the map, making it the most destructive fire in state history.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:08 am »
Thursday, 14th November 2019
Car of Marine linked to Virginia slaying is found in South Carolina

by Danielle Wallace

A car belonging to a U.S. Marine who allegedly deserted his post last month in North Carolina -- and has been on the run since being accused of murdering his mother’s boyfriend in Virginia -- has been located in South Carolina, authorities said Wednesday.

Michael Alexander Brown, 22, had been driving a black Lincoln Town Car, possibly with North Carolina plates, Charleston's WCIV-TV reported, but it was unclear if that was the same vehicle authorities located.

Details of how and where the vehicle was found and what condition it was in were also unclear.

Brown was a combat engineer in the Marines before allegedly deserting his post at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., on Oct. 18.

Several agencies in North Carolina and Virginia -- in addition to the U.S. Marshals, FBI, and Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) have been conducting a massive manhunt for the Marine in connection with the murder of 54-year-old Rodney Brown in Hardy, Va., on Saturday afternoon, Lynchburg, Va.’s WSET-TV reported.

The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia on Monday issued an arrest warrant for second-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony for the younger Brown.

Deputies were dispatched to a home in Hardy, Va., around noon Saturday over reports that the homeowner was found dead on the property.

Investigators later determined the victim was allegedly killed by his live-in girlfriend’s son, who was later identified as the Marine.

Authorities were still working to determine a motive.

Neighbors told Roanoke, Va.’s WSLS-TV the Marine recently learned Rodney Brown was not his biological father.

He reportedly believed his mother’s boyfriend was his biological father for his entire life.
The sheriff’s office said Sunday that Michael Brown’s last known address was near the victim’s -- although it was not immediately clear if they lived in the same home -- and he was likely driving a 1976 Cadillac.

The office added that Brown “has been known to live in the woods and frequent National Parks and National Forest.”

A later update said Brown ditched his car and might be in a 2008 Lincoln Town Car with North Carolina plates.

He is also considered “armed and dangerous.”

Police said he is believed to be armed with a high-powered rifle and “may have access to other weapons.”

No guns were missing from the unit's armory, officials at Camp Lejeune said Monday, WSLS-TV reported.

His medals and decorations included the National Defense Service Medal, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.

His expected end of service date is July 2021.

The Marine Corps now lists Brown as an active-duty “deserter.”

Brown deployed to Africa between March and October 2018, but Camp Lejeune was his lone duty station.

His formal military training included Basic Combat Engineer, Marine Combat Training and Marine Recruit Training.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2019, 05:29:05 am »
Friday, 15th November 2019
by Nikie Mayo

(GREENVILLE, S.C.) – On a day another deadly shooting took place at a school across the country, Jesse Osborne, the teenager responsible for a shooting at a South Carolina elementary school in 2016, was sentenced to life in prison.

Judge Lawton McIntosh handed down the sentence in Anderson after tearful, heart-wrenching statements from family members of Jacob Hall, the 6-year-old first-grader who Osborne mortally wounded on a playground at Townville Elementary School.

Osborne was 14 at the time and is 17 now.

He has 10 days to appeal his sentence.

"We're very disappointed in the result, but the courts will undoubtedly have to continue dealing with sentencing juveniles to life without parole and will have to continue to deal with the issue of school shootings," said Frank Eppes, Osborne's lead attorney.

Filled with emotion of their own, Osborne's family members portrayed the teenager as a victim of abuse at the hands of his father, Jeffrey Osborne, the 47-year-old man who Jesse Osborne shot and killed before driving 3 miles to the school in rural Upstate South Carolina on Sept. 28, 2016.

Osborne pleaded guilty in December to killing his father and Jacob, and to attempted murder related to trying to kill other students and a teacher on the playground.

This week's hearing was mandated by state law because of his age at the time of the crimes.

The judge considered the circumstances of the crimes, Osborne's maturity level, his home and family life, and whether it is believed he can be rehabilitated.

"This is the sentence that we hoped for and that these crimes called for," said Solicitor David Wagner.

"You can't come into our community, into our schools, and do what he did. I hope this sends a message to anyone else who would think about doing something like this."

Osborne spent 13 or 14 hours a day alone in a basement or bedroom that had little natural light and was in "total isolation" in the months before the shooting, according to his grandfather Tommy Osborne.

The teen had been expelled from middle school after bringing a hatchet and a machete in his backpack, and he was taking online classes at home.

He normally would have gone to his grandparents' house after school to do homework and have a meal, but he didn't see them as often then, according to testimony Thursday in the Anderson County Courthouse.

His father owned a chicken farm, but he was having financial trouble and had borrowed money from his family.

Jeffrey Osborne had a temper, and especially when he drank, he became dark and threatening, according to testimony from his family and a psychiatrist who saw Jesse after the shooting.

Tommy Osborne testified that Jeffrey, his son, had once threatened him when Jeffrey was under the influence of alcohol.

"After that, I made sure I had some kind of protection," Tommy Osborne testified.

"I carried a .38."

And Jeffrey Osborne did more than threaten his family, according to testimony.

His son, Jesse, told his grandparents that his dad had "hit him with a ball bat."

 Ryan Brock, Jesse's half-brother, testified earlier that Jeffrey Osborne was horribly abusive to Jesse.

"He would make him pull his pants down... get sticks, belts, whatever he could find, and just start whaling on Jesse," Brock said.

"I could hear the screams throughout the house."

Jesse was mostly alone with no friends except a group of people he communicated with on the internet, according to testimony from his grandfather.

The portrait of Jesse Osborne that was presented Thursday was starkly different from the one prosecutors presented earlier in the week.

Prosecutors described him as the boy who planned the Townville school shooting for days and maybe weeks.

The boy who videoed himself combing his hair just before the shooting and saying that he needed to "look fabulous" because of what he was about to do.

The boy who hoped to kill dozens more than he did, according to messages attributed to him.

Late Thursday, prosecutors recalled psychiatrist James Ballenger to the stand. Ballenger already said he was "pessimistic" about how much good treatment would do for Jesse Osborne.

He was asked again Thursday about whether Osborne can be rehabilitated.

"I certainly think he is dangerous and I think he will remain dangerous," Ballenger said.

"Anything under God's green earth is possible, but I wouldn't say (rehabilitation) is likely."

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:58:47 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2019, 09:50:51 am »
Friday, 15th November 2019
Kentucky white woman charged in death of woman missing since May 2019
by Associated Press

(SOMERSET, Ky.) — A Kentucky woman has been charged in the death of a woman missing since spring whose remains may have been found last week.

Danelle Nicole Powell, 33, of Somerset, was arrested Thursday on a murder charge, news outlets report.

The Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office announced that investigators believe human bones found off a county road last week match LeeAnna Brumley, who was 25 when she was last seen in May.

The remains have been sent to a state medical examiner’s office for identification.

The sheriff’s statement hints at additional arrests, saying

“all those responsible for the death of LeeAnna” will be identified and held responsible.

It’s unclear if Powell has a lawyer.

The Commonwealth Journal reports lead investigator Lt. Bobby Jones said at a press conference that Brumley and Powell had been staying at the same residence in Science Hill.

He said Brumley was led away from the residence and into a rural area of the county where detectives think she was shot, hit in the head with a hatchet and burned.

Jones said investigators believe she was killed at one location on May 22nd before her body was taken to where the remains were found.

Authorities have not released a motive in the slaying.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2019, 10:22:35 am »
Friday, 15th November 2019
California white man convicted of torture/murder dies on death row

by Associated Press

(SAN QUENTIN, Calif.) — A 49-year-old inmate convicted of torturing and burning his victim alive has died on California’s death row.

Prison officials say Spencer Brasure was found unresponsive alone in his San Quentin State Prison cell shortly after midnight Thursday.

Officials are awaiting an autopsy to determine the cause of death but say it doesn’t appear to be foul play.

Brasure was sentenced to death in 1998 for kidnapping and torturing 20-year-old Anthony Guest, then setting him on fire in 1996.

Guest once worked as a child actor.

Court records show Brasure and an accomplice kidnapped Guest because they thought he was stealing from them and annoying a female friend.

They tortured him for hours with a torch, shocked him with electricity and glued his eyes shut before killing him.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2019, 01:28:25 pm »
Friday, 15th November 2019
White woman charged with assaulting Rowan deputy in bizarre incident


(ROWAN COUNTY, N.C.) - A Rowan County deputy was assaulted by a woman who was being charged with trespassing and breaking into a home.

The incident happened on Tuesday according to the report at the Rowan Sheriff’s Office.

Two deputies were responding to a trespassing call on Fisher Road.

When they arrived, a homeowner told them that a strange woman had just broken through her front door.

Minutes later a neighbor saw the woman standing next to a fence with her hands on the shoulders of her (the neighbor’s) eight-year-old daughter.

When the deputies arrived, they found the woman, now identified as Teri Covello, 34, of Centenary Church Road in Mount Ulla, in a shouting match with the homeowner who had called 911.

Covello refused to listen to any of the deputy’s commands, and was placed under arrest.

While she was being arrested, Covello started kicking, tried to pull away from the deputies, and refused to stand up.

The homeowner told law enforcement that Covello came into her house and began talking about a “headless horseman,” and saying that she wanted a horse.

Covello then left the house and walked towards the neighbor’s house and towards an area where the neighbor kept horses.

Covello tried to open the gate, but couldn’t, because the neighbor’s daughter was holding it shut.

Deputies noticed damage to part of a fence and say that Covello was responsible.

While Covello was being taken to the magistrate’s office, she began kicking in the back of the patrol car, and “flipping upside down” on the floorboard.

The deputy had to stop the car in order to get Covello secured in the backseat.

Covello became angry when the deputy refused to make several stops that she had requested.

She also admitted “snorting methamphetamine” earlier in the night.

Once at the magistrate’s office, four deputies had to remove Covello from the patrol car due to her refusal to stand up.

One deputy was kicked in the right leg and chest by Covello.

She also continued to make threats, according to the report.

After finishing with the magistrate, the deputies had to carry Covello to the jail.

Covello was charged with breaking and entering, injury to real property, injury to personal property, second-degree trespassing, resisting police, and assault on a government official.

Bond was set at $100,000.

Covello is due in court on December 4.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2019, 05:07:17 am »
Saturday, 16th November 2019
by Don Thompson

(SACRAMENTO, California) — A third consecutive California governor is blocking parole for a former follower of late cult leader Charles Manson who has been in prison for decades for two of the Manson family’s slayings in the 1960s.

Governor Gavin Newsom on Friday reversed a parole recommendation for Bruce Davis, now 77, for the 1969 slayings of musician Gary Hinman and stuntman Donald "Shorty" Shea.

It was the sixth time Davis was recommended for parole but blocked by a governor.

Davis was not involved in the more notorious killings of actress Sharon Tate and six others by the Manson group the same year.

Davis was convicted of helping kill both men in separate slayings, after which other members of the cult wrote “political piggy” on the wall of Hinman’s home in his own blood.

Parole panels have repeatedly decided Davis is no longer a public safety risk, citing his age and good behavior.

But his release has been blocked by Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and Democrats Jerry Brown and Newsom.

Like his predecessors, Newsom said Davis remains too dangerous to be free.

Davis has yet to demonstrate that he has a “comprehensive understanding of how he came to participate in such extreme violence,” Newsom said.

“As a result, I do not believe that he has the current insight and skills to abstain from violent situations in the future if released.”

Davis has said he attacked Shea with a knife and held a gun on Hinman while Manson cut Hinman's face with a sword.

"I wanted to be Charlie's favorite guy," he said during a 2014 parole hearing.

Attorney Michael Beckman said his client lacks the money to challenge Newsom’s decision in court.

“Six parole boards ... decided he’s been rehabilitated” after extensive hearings, Beckman said.

“They’re wrong. He is rehabilitated and has been for a long time.”

Davis was convicted with Manson and another follower, Steve Grogan, in the two slayings.

Grogan was paroled in 1985 after he led police to Shea's buried body.

Robert Beausoleil, 72, convicted in Hinman's death, remains in prison.

Manson died in prison in 2017 at age 83.

Manson followers Leslie Van Houten, 70; Patricia Krenwinkel, 71; and Charles "Tex" Watson, 73, are imprisoned for the Tate killings.

Their co-defendant, Susan Atkins, died of cancer in prison in 2009.

Newsom earlier this year blocked parole for Beausoleil and Van Houten.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2019, 06:46:32 am »
Saturday, 16th November 2019
Method Men

(LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas) — A Henderson State University chemistry professor who was arrested Friday on accusations that he made methamphetamine was once referred to in the school paper as the school's "Heisenberg."

Bradley Allen Rowland, 40, was featured in the Oracle Online in 2014 when he was hired at the university.

During the interview, Rowland noted that he enjoyed the series "Breaking Bad," which is centered around Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who manufactures and deals meth.

The character goes by the alias "Heisenberg" after the German physicist Werner Heisenberg.

In the interview, Rowland went on to say that he thought "Breaking Bad" was a great show and that it was scientifically accurate.

Rowland and a second chemistry professor, Terry David Bateman, face charges of manufacturing methamphetamine and use of drug paraphernalia.

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:54:52 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2019, 10:28:33 am »
Saturday, 16th November 2019
White man Allegedly Lured Girlfriend With Promise of Vegas Trip & Killed Her on Photo Shoot

by Jeff Truesdell

A Pennsylvania woman’s boyfriend stands accused in her disappearance, after reportedly telling authorities he drove them to Las Vegas promising a vacation — but actually intended to kill her.

The woman, 33-year-old Jamie Rae Feden, of Bethel Park, allegedly died in the Nevada desert after John Matthew Chapman says that, under the guise of taking Feden’s photo, he bound her to a signpost, then suffocated her with duct tape over her mouth and nose, according to a criminal complaint, reports CBS Pittsburgh.

A body found Oct. 5 in Lincoln County, Nevada, has not been identified, and Feden remains missing, say police who on Friday announced the arrest of Chapman, 39, on charges of kidnapping, obstructing administration of law and criminal use of a communication facility.

Chapman is being held in the Allegheny County jail without bail and is “under investigation for homicide,” according to a criminal docket posting cited by Pittsburgh TV station WTAE.

“We are still actively working to locate Jaime Feden,” Bethel Park police said Friday in a statement posted to the agency’s Facebook page.

Feden has not been seen since Sept. 15.

According to the criminal complaint, Feden has a “tumultuous” past with Chapman, but she nonetheless traveled with him in late September to Las Vegas for the alleged vacation and the additional “potential of acquiring residence” there, reports CBS Pittsburgh.

“At some point on or about September 25, 2019, the suspect convinced the victim to drive into the desert under the pretext of participating in an S&M (sadomasochistic/bondage) themed photo shoot,” the complaint alleges, reports WTAE.

“At the location, the suspect bound the victim’s hands and feet with plastic zip ties and affixed her to a signpost. He then applied duct tape to her mouth and then to her nose until such time she was unable to breathe. At some point thereafter, the victim, Jaime Feden, died from suffocation.”

“The suspect subsequently removed the tape [from] her mouth, zip ties from her hands and feet, and clothing from the victim’s body,” the complaint alleged.

“The suspect left the victim’s body in the area of the signpost and traveled from Nevada back to Bethel Park.”

The body discovered in Nevada had “many of the unique physical characteristics” attributed to Feden, according to the complaint. A coroner’s report is pending.

Chapman allegedly impersonated Feden on social media to make it appear she was alive but wanted no contact with her family, and gave police false information about her whereabouts to hinder a missing person investigation after her family alerted authorities she was missing on Thursday, according to the complaint.

An attorney who might speak on Chapman’s behalf was not identified in court records.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2019, 09:31:55 am »
Sunday, 17th November 2019
New York man allegedly tried to kidnap sex workers for trafficking
by Ben Kesslen and Shamar Walters

A New York man who federal authorities say has a “propensity to commit violence against female sex workers” was arrested Friday.

Andrew Frey, 54, of Coram on Long Island, about 60 miles east of New York City, was taken into federal custody early Friday morning and is being held without bail.

Neighbors told NBC New York they saw a SWAT team at Frey's home.

Evidence seized from his home included rope, zip ties and manuals on knot tying, prosecutors said.

Frey faces two counts of attempted trafficking and two counts of attempted kidnapping.

He is a married father of two, according to NBC New York.

He is accused of trying to abduct sex workers on two separate occasions with the “intent of forcing them to engage in commercial sex acts,” the U.S. attorney's office for the Eastern District of New York said in court documents.

In both instances — one in July and the other in October 2018 — Frey arranged meetings with the women.

Then, through force, he attempted to take each of them to a “secluded location,” kidnapping them against their "strong objections," the federal prosecutor's office said in court documents.

Each of the women escaped Frey by jumping out of his moving vehicle, sustaining injuries in the process, prosecutors allege.

"The nature of his conduct towards Jane Does #1 and #2 was sufficiently violent that both deemed it a safer option to throw themselves from a moving vehicle in order to escape the defendant," prosecutors said.

Frey continued to contact both women after they escaped, prosecutors say.

Armed with a weapon, he tried and failed to kidnap Jane Doe #1 a second time, but she was able to once again escape, documents say.

A third sex worker had previously taken out a restraining order against Frey after he intentionally rammed his vehicle into hers, documents outline.

The victim also said Frey violated the order by calling her and leaving threatening voicemails.

Authorities believe there may be more victims.

Authorities says Frey has a history of violence against sex workers and poses a danger to the community.

Frey, a married father of two, was a manager at an aircraft components factory and had a slew of prior convictions such as criminal possession of stolen property.

NBC News reached out to Frey’s lawyer on Saturday but did not immediately hear back.

The U.S. attorney's office said in court documents that if convicted Frey faces a 15-year minimum sentence.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »
Sunday, 17th November 2019
Bank teller charged in home invasion of a customer who'd made a large withdrawal
by Ralph Ellis and Rebekah Riess

A bank teller has been charged in connection with a home invasion at the residence of a customer who'd made a large withdrawal of money, authorities in Maryland said.

A 78-year-old man told investigators he answered his door around 8:30 p.m. Monday and an unknown male forced his way inside, the Harford County Sheriff's Office said in a news release.

The intruder assaulted the man until a relative, a 57-year-old woman, intervened, the sheriff's office said.

The suspect ran upstairs and the woman called police from a nearby home.

When sheriff's deputies arrived, the intruder had fled and was not found during a neighborhood search with the K-9 unit, the sheriff's office said.

"As the investigation continued, it was determined one of the victims had removed a large amount of money from the bank," the news release said.

"Detectives gained information identifying a teller at the bank as the suspect."

Nathan Michael Newell, 19, of Bel Air, was arrested Wednesday at the bank, the sheriff's office said.

He has been charged with robbery, first- and third-degree burglary, first- and second-degree assault and home invasion, the news release said.

Newell was being held at the county detention center without bond.

The public defender's office said Thursday he will be assigned representation.

Both residents suffered injuries.

The woman was treated at the scene and the man was transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center with what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries, the sheriff's office said.

Michael MacPherson, president and CEO of Freedom Federal Credit Union, confirmed Newell was an employee of the credit union.

Newell was fired, he said, adding vetting procedures while hiring Newell met all standards.

Search of online databases showed he faced two traffic cases.

"We are shocked and appalled to hear of the events that led to the assault and injury of a longtime member of our credit union," MacPherson said in a statement.

"Our thoughts go out to him, and his family, during this difficult time."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2019, 07:42:02 pm »
Monday, 18th November 2019
by Elise Schmelzer

Patrick Frazee is guilty of first-degree murder in the death of his fiancee Kelsey Berreth and will spend the rest of his life in prison.

A Teller County jury convicted Frazee Monday on two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of solicitation to commit murder and tampering with a dead body.

The jurors deliberated for less than four hours.

District Court Judge Scott Sells then sentenced Frazee to maximum penalty on each count, giving him life without parole, plus 156 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections.

Berreth’s family sobbed once the jury left the courtroom.

Meanwhile, Frazee showed no reaction, talking to his attorney once the jury was gone.

A guard assigned to monitor Frazee moved from his seat in the gallery to stand next to him as the verdict was read.

Frazee’s sentencing began immediately after the verdict.

Berreth’s uncle, Scott Morin, read a statement from Cheryl Berreth about how the murder of her daughter has destroyed their lives and the life of Kaylee, the 2-year-old daughter Kelsey Berreth and Patrick Frazee shared.

“Patrick, how would you like to find out that your daughter’s life ended the way that you ended Kelsey’s?” the statement said.

Frazee showed little emotion during the 15 minutes that victims spoke during sentencing.

The jury’s guilty verdict follows more than two weeks of detailed trial testimony from a broad swath of law enforcement, evidence experts, people who knew Berreth and Frazee as well as an assortment of strangers to the couple who found themselves ensnared in the case.

In closing arguments Monday morning, prosecutors asked the jury to convict Frazee of first-degree murder and “to please stop this defendant from getting away with murder.”

Frazee’s defense attorney attacked the credibility of the prosecution’s key witness and highlighted the lack of physical evidence tying Frazee to the alleged killing.

Berreth’s disappearance last year drew national attention to rural Teller County, where Frazee ranched and worked as a farrier, including for the beloved free-roaming donkeys of Cripple Creek.
Berreth moved in 2016 to Colorado from her home in Washington after meeting Frazee online in hopes that they would marry and raise a family together.

In the months before her disappearance, she sent Frazee listings for properties the two could buy together.

Berreth’s mother reported the young mother missing on Dec. 2 after not hearing from her for days.

For weeks, law enforcement scoured Teller County and conducted a multitude of interviews to find Berreth to little avail.

It wasn’t until investigators used cell phone records to track down Krystal Lee Kenney — Frazee’s longtime friend and sometimes lover.

Detectives convinced her to talk by offering a plea deal, and police had enough evidence to arrest Frazee on December 21st in connection to Berreth’s murder.

Kenney became the prosecution’s key witness and testified over two days of trial about how Frazee bludgeoned Berreth to death in Woodland Park and then summoned Kenney from her home in Idaho to clean the crime scene and destroy evidence.

Kenney said she watched Frazee burn a plastic storage container with Berreth’s body inside on his Florissant ranch.

She also testified that Frazee asked her to kill Berreth on three previous occasions in the fall of 2018.

Law enforcement relied on Kenney’s cooperation to piece together the case and spent much of their time in trial corroborating her account.

The lead Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent on the case testified Thursday that he didn’t know where they would be without Kenney’s information.

Kenney’s testimony was supported by phone location data as well as some of the DNA testing and surveillance camera footage.

No evidence seemed to contradict her testimony, but key moments in the alleged crime lacked physical evidence.

“The only thing she didn’t do was swing the bat,” Cheryl Berreth said in the statement read in court.

Fourth Judicial District Attorney Dan May said that Kenney deserves every day in jail that the judge sentences her to.

Kenney agreed to talk with investigators as part of a deal that allowed her to plead guilty to evidence tampering.

When she is sentenced, Sells could give her to a penalty ranging from probation to a maximum of three years in prison.

“We did a deal with the devil,” May said, but it was necessary for the case against Frazee.

Frazee did not show emotion during the verdict or sentencing, even as Berreth’s father stared at him from across the room.

Frazee stood and looked the judge in the eyes as Sells read his sentence.

Frazee was then handcuffed and walked out of the courthouse to a waiting car.

His mother, also showing no emotion, watched from the courtroom as Frazee was led away.

Prosecutors offered a variety of motives Frazee may have had for killing Berreth.

Maybe he wanted sole custody of Kaylee without the legal fight, they said.

Maybe he didn’t want child support.

Maybe he didn’t want to risk Berreth moving out of state, taking Kaylee with her.

But even after trial, prosecutors said they couldn’t narrow down motives to one they believed in most strongly.

“We have questioned our faith. We have questioned why,” Scott Morin, Berreth’s uncle, told the judge.

“And we know we’ll never know.”

Beth Reed, one of the prosecutors on the case, said at a news conference that Frazee has shown signs consistent with being a sociopath.

Berreth, in contrast, was described as a loving, quiet woman enthralled with her role as a mother.
She worked hard her entire life to become a pilot and took a leap of faith in 2016 when she moved to Colorado to be with Frazee, whom she met online.

Even as their relationship became strained, Berreth tried to create a life and family with the Florissant rancher.

Meanwhile, Frazee was spreading lies about Berreth to his friends and family.

Her coworkers sent notes to the Berreth family, which Morin read before sentencing.

“She mattered,” one coworker wrote.

“And she made a direct impact and difference in the lives of so many and will continue to do so as the students she instructed will pass their knowledge along to the next generation, and so on.”

Veteran prosecutor Jennifer Viehman said the case was one of the most brutal murders she had ever tried.

But the district attorney’s office didn’t seek the death penalty in the case and the Berreths said they didn’t want to pursue capital punishment, although the murder shook the very faith that led them to that mercy.

“We respect life and leave Patrick’s in God’s hand,” Cheryl Berreth said in her statement.

Investigators in the case will continue to follow any leads they may find in hopes of finding Berreth’s remains, said Gregg Slater, the lead Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent on the case.
Law enforcement searched a new location as recently as a few weeks ago, May said.

“We will always search for Kelsey,” Slater said

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:38:08 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2019, 08:19:10 am »
Tuesday, 19th November 2019
Wynonna Judd's Daughter, 23, Released from Prison 6 Years Early After Being Granted Parole

by Helen Murphy

Wynonna Judd‘s daughter Grace Pauline Kelley has been released from prison.

After being sentenced to eight years in prison, Kelley, 23, was granted parole and was released from the West Tennessee State Penitentiary 6 years early on November 8th, a spokesperson for the Tennessee Department of Corrections confirmed to PEOPLE.

Her sentence began on March 5, 2017.

Jail records show that Kelley’s current supervision status is “parole.”

She will report to parole office P94F until her sentence ends on September 22nd, 2024, the records show.

PEOPLE previously confirmed that Kelley, whose father is Judd’s first husband Arch Kelley, was serving her sentence at the West Tennessee State Penitentiary in Henning.

Her original release date Aug. 10, 2025, PEOPLE previously reported.

Kelley was sentenced to eight years in prison for violating her probation stemming from a drug-related conviction in 2017.

According to Radar Online, she left a court-mandated drug recovery program in November 2017 and a warrant for her arrest was issued shortly after.

Months prior, in May 2017, she pled guilty to meth manufacture, delivery, sale and possession with intent in Williamson County Court.

She was also charged with manufacturing and delivering meth in nearby Maury County but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of possession of meth.

Kelley was previously ordered to serve 11 months and 29 days in jail but the sentence was suspended and instead, her jail time was to be served on probation after 30 days in jail in March 2017 followed by 180 days in an in-house rehab program.

Kelley was first arrested on the drug charges in Dec. 2015.

Amid her daughter’s legal troubles, Judd, 55, has become an activist for criminal justice reform.

Earlier this year, she reportedly met with Executive Mansion officials about working on criminal justice reform, and she also works with the nonprofit Hope for Prisoners, which helps inmates re-enter the world after they’re released with the goal of lowering the recidivism rate.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:49 pm »
Tuesday, 19th November 2019
Brookshire white woman bombs!
by Cloe Alexander

A Brookshire woman has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after admitting to sending homemade bombs to state and federal officials.

Back in July, Julia Ann Poff, 47, pleaded guilty to transportation of explosives with the intent to kill, injure and intimidate a person.

She admitted she mailed a package in October 2016 with a homemade bomb addressed to former President Barack Obama.

She also admitted to mailing two similar packages addressed to Governor Greg Abbott and Carolyn Colvin, Commissioner of the Social Security Administration.

Authorities said the packages contained a victim-activated, booby-trapped improvised explosive device with explosive materials.

On October 6th, authorities intercepted a U.S. Postal Service small, flat rate box at a Executive Mansion mail handling facility at Bolling Air Force Base in the District of Columbia.

They opened the package, and it appeared to contain a bomb.

An FBI explosives expert conducted an examination and determined it to be a homemade bomb.
Investigators linked the box to Poff after finding a cat hair under an address label on one of the boxes that matched her cat’s hair.

Poff has been and will remain in custody pending tranfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined soon.

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:38:54 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 10383
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2019, 08:52:19 am »
Wednesday, 20th November2019
California prosecutor accused of using his own daughter as bait to catch suspected child molester
by Nicole Chavez, Stella Chan and Sarah Moon

A prosecutor in Northern California was placed on leave after he allegedly used his daughter to lure a suspected child molester, the Santa Clara District* Attorney's Office says.

Authorities had been searching for a man who approached a 13-year-old girl several times between August and September while she was walking her dog at the Los Alamitos Creek Trail in San Jose, the San Jose Police Department said in a statement.

The man touched the girl inappropriately on the last three occasions they met, police said.

The girl was the daughter of a prosecutor for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.

Authorities had been searching for a man who approached a 13-year-old girl several times between August and September while she was walking her dog at the Los Alamitos Creek Trail in San Jose, the San Jose Police Department said in a statement.

The man touched the girl inappropriately on the last three occasions they met, police said.

The girl was the daughter of a prosecutor for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office.

The prosecutor, who has not been identified, sent his daughter back to walk on the trail while staying in touch with her using cellphones and earbuds, the San Jose Mercury News reported.

In a police report obtained by the newspaper, a police sergeant said the prosecutor told his daughter "to let (the suspect) touch her if she encountered him, but if it was the breast or between the legs to move away.

He instructed (the victim) to let (the suspect) identify and make the contact and if she cannot handle things she should move away. He instructed (the victim) to walk back and forth on the designated route and don't interact with anyone for very long."

The prosecutor recorded a video of the man interacting with his daughter and shared it with police before they made the arrest, the Mercury News reported.

Ali Mohammad Lajmiri, 76, was arrested November 12 and charged with lewd and lascivious acts on a minor under the age of 14 and false imprisonment, police said.

CNN has reached out to Lajmiri's attorney for comment.

Lajmiri also told police he had Alzheimer's disease and had trouble remembering the interactions, the police report states, according to the Mercury News.

Lajmiri's bail was set a $3 million, according to a spokesperson with the state's attorney general's office.

The state agency has taken over prosecution of the case because of the conflict of interest with the District Attorney's Office.

The prosecutor was placed on leave as the Santa Clara District* Attorney's Office reviews his actions.

In a letter to his staff obtained by CNN, District Attorney Jeff Rosen said he has to be careful about releasing information that could damage the state and local investigations.

"I am sure you are aware of a matter involving the actions of one of our prosecutors and the arrest of a man for sexually assaulting the prosecutor's daughter," the letter said.

"The moment we became aware of this matter, we took immediate action, referring it to the Attorney General's Office and initiating our own internal review. ... As prosecutors, we must never forget that our own behavior -- inside and outside of the courtroom -- matters. The choices we make in our professional and personal lives need to be in harmony with the protocols, laws, and ethics of our criminal justice system."

Would You Like To Know More?

*former Representative Katie Hill's district
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:24:27 am by Battle »