Author Topic: THE "WHO CAUGHT A CASE TODAY" THREAD  (Read 102266 times)

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:57 am »
Monday, 18th March 2019
Breastfeeding Louisiana Mom Accused of Murder After Baby Girl Dies from Methamphetamine Ingestion
by Harriet Sokmensuer

A Louisiana mother is accused of killing her infant daughter by breastfeeding her while she had drugs in her system, PEOPLE confirms.

On March 8, Brandi Froeba, 35, was arrested for second-degree murder in the 2018 death of her six-week-old daughter last summer, Kenner police announced in a news release obtained by PEOPLE.

Police began investigating Froeba on August 16, 2018, when she called 911 to report that her young daughter was unresponsive.

According to an online obituary, the girl was named Daisy Marie Froeba.

Responding officers found Daisy had stopped breathing and rushed her to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

While officers did not observe anything unusual with the child, they noticed Froeba was allegedly lethargic and slurring her words.

Froeba told officers she had breastfed her daughter earlier that day before the pair fell asleep.

When she awoke hours later, she noticed Daisy was not breathing and called 911.

As part of the death investigation, Froeba consented to a blood sample and allegedly admitted to using marijuana the day before.

An autopsy determined that Daisy had methamphetamine in her system, Kenner police said in the news release.

Additional blood samples were sent out for testing and Froeba’s allegedly tested positive for methamphetamine.

One month later, in November, Daisy’s autopsy was complete.

Her cause of death was determined to be methamphetamine toxicity, and her death was ruled a homicide.

Authorities carried out their investigation for months, speaking to witnesses and executing multiple search warrants on health records, which allegedly revealed that in 2016, Froeba’s third child tested positive for Opiates and marijuana.

At the time, Froeba was provided with informational pamphlets and counseling detailing the dangers of using drugs while pregnant and breast feeding.

Investigators also found text messages sent by Froeba allegedly discussing her use of crystal meth.

Froeba has not yet been charged, a Parrish County District Attorney spokesperson tells PEOPLE.

On Wednesday, Froeba appeared in court, where she broke down in tears, and was given a $250,000 bond, KADN reports.

It is unclear whether she has an attorney.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39:51 pm »
Friday, 29th March 2019
'Swatting' gets you 20 years in Cali
by Associated Press


(WICHITA, Kan.) — A California man was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison for making bogus emergency calls to authorities across the U.S., including one that led police to fatally shoot a Kansas man following a dispute between two online players over $1.50 bet in the "Call of Duty: WWII" video game.

U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren sentenced Tyler R. Barriss, 26, under a deal in which he pleaded guilty in November to a total of 51 federal charges related to fake calls and threats.

The 2017 death of 28-year-old Andrew Finch drew national attention to the practice of "swatting," a form of retaliation in which someone reports a false emergency to get authorities, particularly a SWAT team, to descend on an address.

Authorities say an Ohio gamer recruited Barriss to "swat" a Wichita gamer, but that the address they used was old, leading police to Finch, who was not involved in the video game or the dispute.

Barriss admitted he called Wichita police from Los Angeles on Dec. 28, 2017, to falsely report a shooting and kidnapping at that Wichita address.

Finch answered the door, and an officer shot the unarmed man.

Barriss' prosecution in Wichita consolidated other federal cases that had initially been filed against him in California and the District of Columbia involving similar calls and threats he made.

Prosecutors had asked for a 25-year sentence , while the defense had sought a 20-year term.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation recognized swatting as an emerging threat as early as 2008, noting it had become commonplace among gamers.

The intended target in Wichita, Shane Gaskill, 20, and the man who allegedly recruited Barriss, Casey Viner, 19, of North College Hill, Ohio, are charged as co-conspirators.

Authorities say Viner provided Barriss with an address for Gaskill that Gaskill had previously given to Viner.

Authorities also say that when Gaskill noticed Barriss was following him on Twitter, he gave Barriss that old address and taunted him to "try something."

Viner and Gaskill pleaded not guilty to charges including conspiracy to obstruct justice, wire fraud and other counts.

Viner has notified the court he intends to change that plea at a hearing scheduled for Wednesday.

Gaskill's trial has been delayed to April 23 amid plea talks with federal prosecutors.

Finch's family has sued the city of Wichita and the unidentified officers involved.

Police have said the officer who shot Finch thought he was reaching for a gun because he moved a hand toward his waistband.

Prosecutors declined to charge the officer.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2019, 07:37:06 am »
Monday, April fool's day 2019
Woman From China Carrying Malware Arrested After Entering Marry-Go-Round
by Frances Robles, Zolan Kanno-Youngs and Katie Rogers

A 32-year-old woman from China carrying four cellphones and a thumb drive infected with malware gained access to Marry-Go-Round during the puppet’s visit to the Florida resort over the weekend, federal court records show.

The woman, identified as Yujing Zhang, had arrived at the Palm Beach resort and showed two Chinese passports when she sought to be admitted, saying she wanted to use the pool.

She was allowed to enter by Secret Service agents stationed outside the resort after the Marry-Go Round security manager on duty verified that her last name matched the surname of a member of the club, according to a complaint filed in Federal District Court in South Florida.

When asked if she was the member’s daughter, “she did not give a definitive answer,” the complaint said.

It said she was permitted to enter and was escorted to the front desk in a valet-driven golf cart.

Once inside, according to the account filed with the court, the woman said she was there to attend a United Nations Chinese American Association event later in the evening.

But no such event existed, according to the complaint, so the club receptionist alerted the Secret Service.

Though she had initially said she had come to use the pool, she was not carrying a swimsuit, the complaint said.

Ms. Zhang told the agent who questioned her on site that she was there for a “United Nations friendship event” and had arrived early to see the pool and take photos.

She showed the agent an invitation to the supposed event — but it was in Chinese and no one present could read it.

At that point, the Secret Service agent escorted her off the property.

The agent continued to question her, and when the agent suggested that she had unlawfully gained access to the club, she became “verbally aggressive” and was detained, the complaint states.

From there, she was taken to the Secret Service’s office in West Palm Beach.

During the second interview, Ms. Zhang told the authorities that a Chinese friend named Charles had told her to travel from Shanghai to Palm Beach in order to attend the United Nations friendship event and said that she should try to speak with a member of the president’s family about Chinese and American foreign economic relations.

The agents were unable to learn more about Charles, as Ms. Zhang told them that she had only spoken to him via the Chinese instant messaging app WeChat.

When the authorities searched her belongings, they found that she was carrying four cellphones, a hard drive, a laptop and a thumb drive that was found to be infected with malware.

She was arrested at that point and charged with lying to a federal agent and gaining access to a restricted area.

At the time of the incident shortly after noon on Saturday, the puppet was off-site, at the nearby drumphf International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.

He did not return to the resort until 4 p.m.

The Secret Service said in a statement that determining who gets access to Marry-Go-Round is up to the resort’s management; entering the resort does not permit access to areas used by the president, which require additional security screening, it said.

It said agents do conduct a physical screening to make sure no prohibited items enter the property, and did so in the case of Ms. Zhang.

“After undergoing screening at the second Secret Service checkpoint the individual, per club protocol, was immediately met by club reception,” the statement said.

“The Marry-Go-Round reception staff then determined that the individual should not have been authorized access by their staff and Secret Service agents took immediate action resulting in the arrest of the individual.”

Ms. Zhang’s lawyer, a federal public defender, did not respond to a request for comment, nor did the management at Marry-Go-Round.

Access to the puppet by Chinese nationals became an issue last month, when news media reports surfaced showing that a Chinese-American woman in Florida who once owned a chain of Asian massage parlors that had been investigated for prostitution had attended a number of events there, and had been photographed there with the president and other officials.

The woman, Cindy Yang, collected contributions directed toward the puppet’s campaign from her friends, family and employees, and had a website on which she advertised that she could provide access to the Trump administration.

Ms. Yang had advertised an event for March 30 — the day of Ms. Zhang’s arrest — called the “International Leaders Elite Forum,” described as a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” and the first event at Marry-Go-Round with “the Chinese as the protagonist,” The Miami Herald reported.

The event was later canceled.

Ms. Yang worked with an event promoter named Charles Lee, who runs a group called the United Nations Chinese Friendship Association, which is similar to the name of the event that Ms. Zhang cited, the newspaper reported.

The criminal complaint filed Monday did not draw any connection between Ms. Zhang and Ms. Yang or any of the Chinese-American events scheduled over the weekend.

Elaborate security measures are set up around the puppet’s exclusive, members-only club, which he frequently visits on weekends away from Washington.

When the president is in town, roadblocks are set up in the street leading up to the resort and uniformed Secret Service agents typically establish a large security screening area across the street, with a large sign notifying visitors that they are entering a restricted area.

Marry-Go-Round club members are allowed past the initial screening checkpoint and inside the protective perimeter.

Security breaches surrounding honorably elected-American presidents have been a major issue in recent years.

There have been several cases of intruders scaling the Executive Mansion fence and entering the grounds.

In one episode in 2014, a man carrying a knife, Omar J. Gonzalez, managed to overpower a Secret Service agent inside the North Portico entrance and run through the ceremonial East Room before he was tackled.

Weeks after the puppet took office, another man was able to elude multiple layers of security before being stopped near the entrance at the South Portico.

In that case, Jonathan Tuan-Anh Tran, who was carrying a backpack, jumped over a fence and came within several steps of the Executive Mansion while the president was inside the residence.

In perhaps the most notable example, in 2009, a Virginia couple sneaked into a Executive Mansion state dinner and shook hands with President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama as they stood in the receiving line.

Known later as the “State Dinner crashers,” the intrusion by Michaele and Tareq Salahi prompted an internal Secret Service investigation and demands for a congressional inquiry.

Security agents on several occasions in the past have had to turn away people who tried to enter the Marry-Go-Round resort, some with the apparent intention of approaching the acting-president.

In several cases, according to The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, which reviewed police incident reports, members of the public arrived and told security agents that they had arranged meetings with the puppet.

A 27-year-old Ohio man flew in to Palm Beach International Airport and was flagged to Secret Service agents in April 2018 after he told people he was planning to smoke marijuana with the president; a 32-year-old Georgia man wearing military-style fatigues told local sheriff’s deputies in February of that year that he had an important message “about the war” to deliver to the puppet.

Don Mihalek, executive vice president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, which represents the Secret Service, said the episode showed how much the Secret Service relied on the security at Marry-Go-Round.

He said the fact that Secret Service agents apparently relied on the determination by a Marry-Go-Round security agent that Ms. Zhang was related to a member of the club — simply because she shared the member’s last name — was problematic.

“It’s a hard position for Secret Service to be in to potentially deny a million-dollar committee member,” Mr. Mihalek said.

“It puts Secret Service in a very difficult position because we don’t know who are members and who aren’t.”

“You’re depending on them to say this is an employee and this isn’t an employee. We work off a list of names,” he said.

“Our priority is, are you coming in with explosives or not.”

Ms. Zhang, who court records say was born in 1986, appeared in court in Palm Beach on Monday, and a bond hearing was scheduled for next week, court records show.

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:06:31 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2019, 08:07:21 am »
Wednesday, 3rd April 2019
3 fraternity brothers sentenced to jail in Penn State hazing death

by  Madeline Holcombe

Four former Penn State University fraternity brothers have been sentenced in connection with the death of a pledge during a hazing ritual, with three receiving jail time, according to a source familiar with the case.

Luke Visser, Joseph Sala, Joshua Kurczewski and Michael Bonatucci, former members of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, were sentenced on Tuesday in Centre County Court.

Each had pleaded guilty to hazing-related charges in connection with the February 2017 death of 19-year-old Timothy Piazza, a sophomore at Penn State.

Piazza died after drinking large quantities of alcohol during his first night of pledging at Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

According to the source, Visser was sentenced to two to six months in jail and two years of probation.

Kurczewski, who also pleaded guilty to one count of furnishing alcohol to minors, received three to nine months in jail and one year of probation.

Bonatucci was sentenced to 30 to 60 days in jail and a year of probation.

Sala received three to six months of house arrest and two years of probation.

The men must also pay fines and perform community service, according to the source.

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:05:54 pm by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2019, 02:34:47 am »
Tuesday, 3rd April 2019
Drunken newlywed passenger earns prison time
by Janine Puhak

"Looks like one of the terrorists in 'Die Hard', right?"

A newly married man has been smacked with prison time and a hefty fine after throwing a drunken “tantrum” on an Easyjet flight to his honeymoon, during which he went on a homophobic tirade and punched two flight attendants who tried to take away his e-cigarette.

After flying into the violent rage, the passenger and his wife were booted from the plane before takeoff.

It happened back in February, when Michael Cunnett of Epsom, England, boarded an Easyjet flight with his new wife for their honeymoon to Egypt, International Business Times reports.

Soon after settling in his seat, Cunnett reportedly began to act “louder” than everyone else on the 9 a.m. flight, having allegedly drank four pints of beer before stepping onto the aircraft.

The newlywed proceeded to whip out an e-cigarette that he began to smoke before takeoff, prompting flight attendant Andre Botha to intervene — though the situation quickly turned for the worse.

According to the outlet, Cunnett battered Botha with homophobic slurs before punching him twice, in blows that knocked the airline worker to the ground, as per the Mirror.

Flight attendant Christopher Bogley rushed towards Cunnett to mediate, before being punched as well.

The erratic passenger was soon escorted off the plane and arrested by police, according to the Mirror, and his dangerous antics ultimately delayed the plane’s takeoff by 45 minutes, IBT reported.

"Look at what you've done, you have f----- our honeymoon," his bride reportedly cried out.

Recently the man appeared in court in relation to the incident and he pleaded guilty to four charges, including common assault, criminal damage and interfering with performance of the aircraft crew, IBT reports.

He has been sentenced to spend seven months behind bars and pay $1,316 in compensation to both Botha and Bogley.

Bogley, meanwhile, told those gathered that even though his assailant was not aware of his sexual orientation at the time of the attack, he is proud to be a gay man.

"He didn't know my sexuality, but I am a gay man and proud of it,” the veteran flight attendant told the court, according to the outlet.

“It is not a lifestyle choice, it is natural and no one deserves to be discriminated against for their sexuality.

Many people struggle with it, and deal with mental health problems on a daily basis. His remarks to me were personal.

“If he travels again, my hope is that he will treat people with respect and acknowledge that he lives in a diverse society which is something that should be embraced, not ridiculed,” he continued.

Cunnett’s lawyer, David Forsyth, said that his client was "fully aware that his behavior was reprehensible" and was "thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed,” as per the Mirror.

Cunnett further told the court that he did not harbor any homophobic views.

“It was like a child having a tantrum. You chose to drink four pints and to behave in a foul-mouthed, highly abusive manner,” presiding Judge David Rennie said at the trial.

“Something of your true character did reveal itself… An attack on the perceived sexuality of these men was utterly shameful.”

“People like you find yourself on the edge of society. Only an immediate custodial sentence can be justified,” Rennie continued.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2019, 10:29:11 am »
Friday, 5th April 2019
Man who pretended to be missing boy charged
by Faith Karimi, Darran Simon, and Kelly McCleary

Brian M. Rini, who falsely claimed to be missing child Timmothy Pitzen, may face up to eight years in federal prison for lying to federal agents, authorities said on Friday.

The crime involved "lying with respect to a material matter about an investigation that involves sex trafficking of children," said Ben Glassman, US attorney for the Southern District of Ohio.

"On behalf of the United States, my heart goes out to the family of Timmothy Pitzen. I can only imagine the kind of pain that they have been through and that this episode has caused for them," Glassman said.

The man who falsely claimed to be Timmothy Pitzen, a boy who disappeared in 2011, has a history of getting into trouble and using other people's identities, his brother said.

Brian Michael Rini, 23, of Medina, Ohio, said Wednesday he was the missing boy from Aurora, Illinois, and described how he fled from kidnappers and ran across a bridge into Kentucky, authorities said.

Residents who found him roaming a neighborhood in Newport called 911. About 24 hours later, DNA tests showed he is not Timmothy, the boy who vanished at age 6, the FBI said.

Rini is being held at the Hamilton County Jail in Cincinnati, the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The FBI is taking the lead in the investigation.

Rini isn't facing any local charges, sheriff's office spokesman Dave Daugherty said, but it's possible he may face federal charges.

Rini was released from an Ohio prison last month after serving time for burglary and vandalism, court records show.

Records from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction indicate he was charged with burglary and vandalism -- both felonies.

The crimes occurred in Medina County in January 2018, and he was sentenced to one year and six months in prison.

He was released March 7 and was supposed to start parole supervision that day for three years.

His brother said Rini was in jail a lot as a child, "just getting into random little bouts of trouble, fights at home."

Jonathon Rini said his brother was "placed on juvenile probation and then he just continuously violated his probation."

Brian Rini's deception dashed relatives' hopes for an end to their long search for Timmothy, who would be 14.

"It's like reliving that day all over again," said Kara Jacobs, Timmothy's aunt. "Timmothy's father is devastated once again."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
Friday, 5th April 2019
Craig Carton, former 'Boomer and Carton' co-host on WFAN, gets 3 1/2 years in prison
by Bob Hille

Disgraced New York sports talk show host Craig Carton — greeted in federal court Friday by Judge Colleen McMahon's greeting, “Colleen from New York.

First time, long time" — was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for a nearly $7 million ticket scam to pay off his gambling debts, the New York Post reported.

Carton, who with former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason hosted the "Boomer and Carton" show on WFAN for a decade, had sought to avoid prison time.

However, McMahon lectured Carton, 50, as he sat expressionless.

“Your marriage is over, your kids are terrified … reputation in tatters,” she said to the father of four.

“Craig Carton, you have indeed descended into a hell of your own making.”

Carton was found guilty of a Ponzi-like scheme in which he persuaded wealthy investors to spend millions on blocks of tickets to musical shows by performers as diverse as Adele and Metallica, promising them a hefty return on their investments via ticket resales.

Instead, Carton kept about $4.6 million for himself as he said he tried to pay off debts he accrued as a self-described "compulsive gambler."

In arguing for leniency, Carton claimed he fell into gambling as he was trying to get a legitimate ticket-selling business off the ground.

"I'm truly powerless over this disease," said an apparently contrite Carton, who hardly sounded like the brash half of a talk show team who beginning in 2007 rose to fame in the nation's biggest and most competitive radio market.

Carton left the popular sports talk show immediately after his arrest in September 2017.

The Post, citing court papers, reported that he has paid back $50,000 to investors he defrauded.

A jury in November convicted Carton of conspiracy, wire fraud and securities fraud.

Prosecutors asked for a sentence of 5-7 years, but he had faced up to 45 years.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2019, 02:57:08 am »
Friday, 5th April 2019
‘MAGA’ hat-wearing swordsman in SF arrested, bail set at $1 million

by Matthias Gafni, Lauren Hernandez and Kevin Fagan

A man who allegedly drew a sword and slashed another man after having his “Make America Great Again” hat knocked off was arrested near his home in San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood, authorities said Thursday.

Officers on Wednesday evening were staking out the low-rent residential hotel at the corner of Eddy and Larkin streets where Leor Bergland, 30, lived, then moved in on the suspect when they saw him at a nearby restaurant, police said.

He surrendered quietly, they said.

Police say the arrest closes the loop, for now, on one of the more bizarre mysteries — and attacks — to have occurred in the city for some time.

Around 10 p.m. last Friday, a 27-year-old Berkeley man was standing near the intersection of Fillmore and Oak streets by the Church of 8 Wheels roller skating rink when he saw Bergland wearing the red MAGA hat, which is popular among President Trump supporters.

The man swatted the hat off Bergland’s head, police said — and in return, Bergland whipped out a sword and badly slashed the victim’s left hand.

Despite bleeding profusely, the victim and a witness chased after the attacker, but abruptly backed off when “he turned and began advancing toward them,” according to a police account.

The victim left a wide pool of blood on the sidewalk as he was taken to a hospital and treated for his non-life-threatening wounds, officials said.

From his cell at the San Francisco City Jail, Bergland on Thursday declined a Chronicle request for an interview.

He was booked on suspicion of attempted murder, mayhem, and weapons and assault charges. His bail is set at $1 million, according to jail records.

According to court records, this is not first time Bergland has been accused of brandishing a blade.

In October 2012, Bergland was charged in two incidents in one week in Multnomah County, Oregon.

According to court records, he was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing, unlawful entry into a vehicle and third-degree theft, along with felony criminal mischief.

All charges were eventually dismissed, though it is unclear why.

The events started on Oct. 13, 2012, shortly before midnight, when a man went to unlock his van on a Portland street and found Bergland hunched over in the backseat, Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Brent Weisberg said.

The man removed Bergland from the van, threw him to the ground and held him down.

Bergland pulled a knife from his pants pocket, opened the blade and waved it at the man, Weisberg said.

Passersby separated the pair and the knife from Bergland and held him until police arrived, Weisberg said.

Two days later, Portland State University police cited Bergland for trespassing in the second degree, Weisberg said, but he had no details of the events.

The citation had the wrong date, so prosecutors asked the department to re-issue the citation, but that was not done, Weisberg said.

Back in San Francisco, Bergland apparently didn’t make many ripples at his home in the Elk Hotel, an 88-unit supportive housing complex for formerly homeless people.

Some at the hotel on Thursday recognized him as a resident, but none said he stood out in any particular way.

Alex Mohamed, manager of the next-door Gladstone Market Deli & Liquor, told The Chronicle that Bergland sometimes would pop in twice a day at his store.

“He’s quiet,” Mohamed said. “If I say ‘hi’ to him, he barely says ‘hi’ back.”

Last Friday’s slashing happened outside the rink as it was hosting its adults-only roller disco night. Scott Sweeney, 24, said he saw a man he thinks is Bergland about 30 minutes before the attack wearing the hat and carrying the sword tucked into the back of his jacket.

Bergland was shouting homophobic slurs at him, Sweeney said.

“In my mind, I didn’t think it was a real sword until we came out later and police were on the scene and there was blood and the hat on the ground,” he said.

David Miles, who goes by the nickname “Sk8father” and started the skating rink at the former Sacred Heart Catholic Church, said he was inside during the confrontation but came outside to help the victim.

“The guy was cut, he was bleeding like you wouldn’t believe,” Miles said.

“He was just gushing blood, so we got the first-aid kit from inside and tried to stop the bleeding.”

The violent encounter prompted Miles to consider setting up additional surveillance cameras at the rink.

“Even though he didn’t come into the church, he could have. This could have been worse,” Miles said.

“This is the last thing you think is going to happen. I’m very, very, very concerned.”

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2019, 03:02:26 am »
Friday, 5th April 2019
N.Y. man charged for making death threats against Representative Ilhan Omar
by CBS News

A man from upstate New York has been charged with threatening to assault and murder U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

Patrick Carlineo, 55, allegedly called Omar's office on March 21 and told a staffer "Do you work for the Muslim Brotherhood? Why are you working for her, she's a (expletive)  terrorist. I'll put a bullet in her (expletive) skull," according to the criminal complaint.

A staffer referred the call to Capitol Police, which launched an investigation.

According to CBS Rochester, New York affiliate WROC, Carlineo initially denied to FBI agents that he had threatened to shoot the Minnesota Democrat.

He told investigators he had said "if our forefathers were still alive, they'd put a bullet in her head."

Investigators reminded Carlineo that lying to the FBI is a crime and there was a recording of the phone calls, WROC reports.

He said he couldn't remember exactly what he said, and it could be something like that.

Carlineo also told agents that he had a .22 caliber firearm and a shotgun in his home.

Carlineo has made his initial appearance before a judge and is being held pending a detention hearing on April 10, CBS Minnesota reports.

Carlineo faces up to ten years behind bars if convicted.

Omar, who is Somali-American and wears a hijab, is one of the most vocal freshman legislators on Capitol Hill.

In March, a West Virginia GOP event featured an anti-Muslim poster of Omar linking her to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The poster featured a picture of planes flying into the World Trade Center with the phrase "never forget, you said" and then under it, a picture of Omar with the words

"I am proof you have forgotten."

Omar, who represents Minnesota's 5th Congressional district, tweeted about the poster:

"No wonder why I am on the 'Hitlist' of a domestic terrorist and 'Assassinate Ilhan Omar' is written on my local gas stations."

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2019, 02:41:00 am »
Saturday, 5th April 2019
Minutes after being released from jail, a Florida idiot was arrested in the jail's parking lot for breaking into cars
by Amir Vera

Casey Michael Lewis was a free man for about 15 minutes, not even leaving the grounds of the jail where he'd been locked up before being arrested again.

The 37-year-old had just been released Thursday from the St. Lucie County Detention Facility in Fort Pierce, Florida, where he'd been held on grand theft charges, according to an arrest affidavit.

The affidavit says after he was released, Lewis then began walking around the jail's parking lot "acting suspicious and checking vehicle doors."

Surveillance video showed Lewis looking into cars and opening the door of a silver vehicle, according to the affidavit.

The report says Lewis entered the vehicle from the driver's side and sat in the car for about two and a half minutes.

He then exited the vehicle and walked around the length of the lot, checking vehicles along the way by either looking into the windows or lifting door handles to see whether they were unsecured, the affidavit said.

While Lewis was in the parking lot, he was approached by an officer. He told the officer he was "waiting for his girlfriend," according to the affidavit.

The arresting officer said in the affidavit that when Lewis was approached, questioned and finally arrested he gave the officer a brown paper bag with items from a vehicle.

The items included an iPhone 7, four packs of cigarettes, a lighter, one Visa bank debit card, a Florida driver's license and $547 in cash.

Lewis was arrested on charges of burglary, grand larceny and possession of stolen property and taken back inside the jail.

CNN reached out to an attorney who represented Lewis in a previous case but got no immediate response.

It could not be determined whether Lewis was being represented by that attorney or another lawyer in the latest case.

Maria Entner, a spokeswoman for the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office, said Lewis was released -- again --

-- the same day, but this time deputies made sure a person was there to pick him up.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2019, 05:20:15 am »
Tuesday, 9th April 2019
White Guy accused of stealing from Kmart days after buying $8 million private island

by ABC News

A Florida man was arrested on Saturday for shoplifting at a Kmart, just days after he purchased a multi-million-dollar private island off Key West.

Andrew Lippi, 59, was accused of stealing about $300 worth of household goods from a Kmart in Key West, where police said he purchased various items between March 30 and April 4, replaced them with cheaper items and returned them for a refund.

Lippi made headlines last week when he purchased Thompson Island, a private estate formerly owned by the philanthropist and developer Edward B. Knight, for $8 million, according to ABC Miami affiliate WPLG.

Lippi also owns a 12-bedroom resort compound in Key West that MTV used to film a season of "The Real World" in 2006.

That property rents for about $1,800 a night on Airbnb, WPLG reported.

Lippi stands accused of stealing multiple items, including LED light bulbs and a $55 Hamilton Beach coffee maker, which he allegedly "replaced with a much older coffee maker" and returned for a full refund, according to the Key West Police Department.

Police said Lippi also bought a $150 Keurig coffee machine on March 30, returned it and received a full refund a day later.

Kmart employees notified the store's loss prevention officer after realizing the coffee machine box instead contained a basketball, according to police.

Lippi denied denied stealing the items, according to a police report.
"Lippi stated he did not change out any items prior to returning them," the arresting officer wrote in the report.

"I asked Lippi about the Keurig coffee machine being replaced by a basketball, and he stated the clerk should have realized there was no coffee machine by the weight of the box.
"I asked Lippi about the light bulbs, and he stated he returned the light bulbs because he paid too much money for them and did not know how they were switched."

ABC News could not reach Lippi for comment late Monday night, but he told the Miami Herald that the situation "has to do with a commercial dispute."

"It's very complicated and I’d rather not get into it," Lippi told the Herald in a phone interview.

"I will say this, that the way it was handled by Key West police and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department was wonderful. Some of the finest people I’ve ever dealt with who were kind throughout the whole process."
Lippi was arrested on grand theft charges and released the following day.

Jail records show he posted no bond for his release.

He's scheduled to appear in court for an arraignment on April 18.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2019, 04:57:02 am »
Saturday, 7th April 2019
Dumb white guy arrested after selling gummy bears with marijuana to minors


An Oroville man was arrested Friday after selling gummy bears with concentrated marijuana at an area high school, the Butte County Sheriff's Office said.

Jacob Murray, 20, was arrested after school resource officer Deputy Jesse Nicholaw conducted a traffic stop and located dozens of individually wrapped gummy bears with marijuana in Murray’s car, officials said.
Officials said Nicholaw was on patrol at Plumas High School when he noticed a vehicle in the staff parking lot that matched the description of a vehicle known for selling edible gummy bears laced with marijuana.

After conducting a traffic stop on the vehicle, Nicholaw noticed dozens of individually wrapped gummy bears that had labels consistent with drugs packaged at marijuana dispensaries, officials said.

Officials said that the gummy bears were next to several loose dollar bills.
Murray was arrested and charged with the sale of concentrated marijuana to a minor.

He was then booked into the Butte County Jail.

Officials believe Murray may have been selling narcotics to other minors in the area.

Anyone with information regarding the case is encouraged to call Nicholaw at 530-538-7321.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2019, 05:21:10 am »
Tuesday, 9th April 2019
Two idiots caught vandalizing a University of North Carolina memorial
by Keith Allen and Jason Hanna

A man and a woman were arrested this week on suspicion of vandalizing a University of North Carolina memorial that is dedicated to slaves and other African-American workers who helped build the university.

Ryan Francis Barnett, 31, and Nancy Rushton McCorkle, 50, were arrested Monday by UNC police, accused of vandalizing the Unsung Founders Memorial on the early morning of March 31 on the university's Chapel Hill campus, the school said.

The memorial was defaced with "racist and other deplorable language," CNN affiliate WRAL reported, citing an email from interim Chancellor Kevin M. Guskiewicz. The memorial has since been cleaned, WRAL reported.

Barnett also is accused of vandalizing an outdoor art installment near the university's Hanes Art Center, police said.

The vandalism comes during a school year in which a separate statute on campus -- a Confederate monument called "Silent Sam" -- was toppled by protesters.

Barnett, of Sanford, North Carolina, and McCorkle, of Newberry, South Carolina, were arrested on initial charges of vandalism and ethnic intimidation, UNC police arrest reports say.

Barnett also faced a preliminary charge of public urination, the reports say.

The arrest reports do not say how Barnett and McCorkle came to be suspects in the Unsung Founders Memorial vandalism.

Police investigating the incident had been reviewing surveillance footage, WRAL reported.

CNN's attempts to reach Barnett and McCorkle for comment weren't immediately successful.

Barnett is scheduled to appear in court on April 22, and McCorkle is scheduled to appear on April 25, according to their arrest reports.

The Unsung Founders Memorial, a gift from the class of 2002, has as its base sculptures of men and women with arms raised, essentially holding up the rest of the piece.
Its inscription reads:

"The Class of 2002 honors the University's unsung founders -- the people of color bond and free -- who helped build the Carolina that we cherish today."

The school says the Unsung Founders Memorial is meant to be a counterpoint to the "Silent Sam" Confederate memorial, which made its own headlines in the past few months.

Protesters knocked over the Silent Sam statue in August, amid a larger national conversation about the purpose of and need for Confederate monuments.

The statue was not returned to its original spot, and in January, the university removed the rest of the Confederate monument, taking its base and commemorative plaques to an undisclosed location.

The university chancellor at the time said the monument's presence was too controversial and caused too much disruption.

Silent Sam is the nickname of the statue of a Confederate soldier, which was erected at the request of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

It was dedicated in 1913 to remember the "sons of the university who died for their beloved Southland 1861-1865," UNC's website says.

The university system's board of governors has given the Chapel Hill campus until May to decide what to do with the Silent Sam statue, the News & Observer newspaper in Raleigh reported last month.

That deadline came after the board in December rejected a proposal to build a $5.3 million home for the Confederate monument.

Would You Like To Know More?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:33:31 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2019, 04:05:58 am »
Friday, 5th April 2019
Man arrested in road rage killing of 10-year-old girl

by ABC News

A 20-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly gunning down a 10-year-old girl in what police called an apparent road rage killing, authorities said.

Joshua Gonzalez was booked on one count of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated assault in connection with the slaying of 10-year-old Summerbell Brown, Phoenix police announced Friday.

Gonzalez has an extensive criminal history, Phoenix Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said at a news conference.

A composite sketch of the suspect and images of his truck were circulated on Thursday before the arrest. A tip led investigators to Gonzalez, police said.

The truck and weapon believed to be involved in the shooting were also recovered.

The suspect "did try to alter the truck's appearance," Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said.

The shooting unfolded at about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, when 10-year-old Summerbell was in the car with her sister and parents on their way home, according to police.

The suspect's white truck cut off the Browns in traffic, Lewis said.

Then the truck followed the family's car very closely, Lewis said.

"As soon as the truck was behind the victim, he stayed relatively close, as if he was intentionally following the victim," Lewis said.

As the family turned into their driveway, the truck stopped behind them, Lewis said.

"I got out of my vehicle," Summerbell's father, Dharquintium Brown, later told reporters. "I asked him, 'What's going on?' And he just got to firing."

The suspect, who never exited his car during the shooting, fled the scene.

Summerbell, who had been sitting directly behind her father, was shot and pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.

Dharquintium Brown on Thursday told reporters he "watched her eyes roll in the back of her head. And I pray nobody has to experience that."

"She died in front of me," he said.

Dharquintium Brown was also shot and suffered a non-life-threatening injury, police said. Summerbell's mother and sister were not hurt.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego on Friday called the killing a "senseless tragedy."

"This is heartbreaking ... that I lost my baby like this," Summerbell's mother, Taniesha Brown, told reporters Thursday, overcome with emotion.
"There was no reason for her to be taken like this. I wish it was me instead of my baby," Taniesha Brown said.

"This nightmare's going to be playing in my head every day," she said.

"I just really hope she's at peace."

Lewis said the suspect and victims likely did not know each other.

Would You Like To Know More?

Offline Battle

  • Honorary Wakandan
  • *****
  • Posts: 11077
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2019, 04:18:23 am »
Thursday, 11th April 2019
2 poachers pay steep price for illegal bear kill

by Pete Thomas

A father and son from Indiana will pay a steep price for illegally killing a 400-pound bear near Aspen, Colorado, in 2016.

Dan Roe, 55, of Tipton, Indiana, will serve a 20-year hunting and fishing suspension, while his son Alex Roe, 27, will serve a 15-year suspension.

Furthermore, under the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact agreement, these suspensions will be enforced in 47 states.

Pablo Gutierrez, 54, an accomplice from Aspen, received a one-year suspension.

The suspensions were administered last year by a Colorado Parks and Wildlife hearing officer, after the men had pleaded guilty.

They had through the end of March 2019 to appeal, but failed to complete their applications in time.

"I don't know why they didn't follow through with their right to appeal but either way, in my opinion, the length of the suspensions are warranted in this case," Kurtis Tesch, a district wildlife officer from Aspen and a primary investigator, stated in a Clorado Parks and Wildlife news release issued Wednesday.

"These individuals not only took the bear illegally, they concocted an elaborate story in an attempt to hide their crime."

According to the Aspen Daily News, the men pleaded guilty to illegally killing the bear on private property near the Pitkin County Landfill in February 2016, and leaving the meat to waste while taking only the head and hide.

CPW explained that by law, bear hunters are required to prepare bear meat for human consumption and deliver the head and hide to a field office for inspection within five days of the kill.

Hunters must also reveal the location of the kill, and this is where the poachers' story became suspect.

The men brought the bear's head to a CPW office in Glenwood Springs and told a series of what turned out to be lies, picked up on by a costumer service representative.

"She noticed right away that things were not adding up and needed further investigation," Tesch said.

"While the hide was being inspected, the Roes talked about how they had killed the bear off a Forest Service road they couldn't identify, how tough it was to pack out the large animal but they didn't have the meat because they had donated it to nearby campers.

"In reality, we discovered they killed the bear at the Pitkin County landfill. They took only the hide and wasted the meat, then falsified documents. Even after we began looking into the situation, they continued to lie about it."

The men returned to Indiana, not knowing that CPW was working with Indiana authorities, who served warrants and found incriminating evidence at both mens' homes.

Ultimately, the men agreed to plead guilty to willful destruction of wildlife, a class-five felony.

They also pleaded guilty of illegal possession of wildlife, hunting on private property without permission, and waste of edible wildlife, all misdemeanors.

The Roes agreed to pay $2,500 each to the CWP, with the money earmarked for the states's wildlife violation tip hotline.

Gutierrez was found guilty of assisting the men by driving them to the landfill, and convicted for hunting on private property without permission. Besides the one-year suspension, he was ordered to pay $139.50.

Would You Like To Know More?