Author Topic: The Passing of a Legend... Mr. Dwayne McDuffie  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The Passing of a Legend... Mr. Dwayne McDuffie
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:02:45 pm »
I was shocked to learn of the passing of one of comicdoms greatest sons. Dwayne McDuffie's talent and work will live on as the spirit of this creative genius manifests for generations to come. My sympathies to his family,friends and all those touched by his artistic endeavors.

Here is a link from CBR.http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30978
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:04:35 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Passing of a Legend... Mr. Dwayne McDuffie
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
Was shocked and saddened to hear that tonight while playing ball with a fellow comic fan....damn- that's just sad.  Such a top notch talent from the old school who just perfected his craft each time he went on another project.  There will never be another quite like Mr. McDuffie - inspiration.

Offline James72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »
We have lost another one of the greats.  Loved his writing in comics and animation.

RIP Mr.McDuffie.

Offline BPStorm4ever

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
Still can't believe it. Like this is a bad dream or something.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

"T'Challa and Ororo - now black AND f*cking!" - Hudlin

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:37 am »
from PeterDavid.net:

DAMMIT
I never wanted to believe something was an Internet hoax more than when a morose Kathleen informed me that Dwayne McDuffie had passed away.

I’ve known him literally for decades, going back to his days as an assistant editor at Marvel. I loved his work on “Damage Control,” which I always thought was inspired and should have been an ongoing title. I continued to read and enjoy his constantly innovative and groundbreaking work throughout the years, and I was thrilled to have the chance to actually work closely with him on several episodes of “Ben 10: Alien Force” and “Ben 10: Ultimate Alien,” for which he was the story editor. I will never forget sitting in his office as we worked out storylines. There was more than just his physical presence (he was well over six feet tall). He seemed to radiate confidence in his abilities, which was entirely warranted, and he was determined to roll with whatever curves Cartoon Network might throw his way and turn them into the best stories possible. He had boundless enthusiasm not only for his work, but for the sheer creative process. To say he will be missed is to understate it. I offer condolences not only to his family, but to the entirety of fandom for losing one of the great ones.

As for us, right now we’re watching one of his “Ben 10″ episodes and later I’m running out to buy his “All-Star Superman” DVD.

PAD

Offline BPStorm4ever

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:37 am »
He was a champion for everyone, not just black people but all minorities. I fear the comic world without him in it. I really do. He was the only one standing in the way of Didio making his Milestone characters jokes, and with him gone...grah it makes me angry.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

"T'Challa and Ororo - now black AND f*cking!" - Hudlin

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »
Sadness

I find it ironic that two issues from Marvel this week are about "funeral for a friend" (FF & Amazing Spider-man.)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:57 pm »
Sadness

I find it ironic that two issues from Marvel this week are about "funeral for a friend" (FF & Amazing Spider-man.)

If you'd asked me, I suspect something sinister about this whole fiasco. 

I mean, no one questions the surgeon's expertise who performed the operation on Mr. McDuffie...?
...all these themes of death & darkness in these latest round of stories...? 
All very creepy to me... :P

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »
Agreed. This is a bad dream. wow...comics have lost a great one. I wish Marvel would give more support to writers like Mr. Mcduffie, Mr. Hudlin and Mr. Priest (and others).

But I hoped that Mr. Mcduffie would have taken over for Mr. Hudlin. Or at least when they relunched again for the #1 he would be tapped to take over.

:'(

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:22:00 am »
This is a great loss. Milestone was an inspiration, particularly Icon and Rocket. Before that, I had never really seen black characters depicted with such authenticity humanity in a comic book forum. Granted, my access to the breadth of comics was limited (it still is, though to a lesser extent), but I find it telling that we have few black characters some 20 years after Milestone as well rendered as Icon, Rocket, Static, Hardware, etc. And Mr. McDuffie's work on the Justice League cartoon was amazing. He made DC cool (beyond Batman, Superman, and maybe Wonder Woman). For me, he put John Stewart and Vixen on the map (to be frank, I don't see a white creator putting Stewart-Vixen-Hawkgirl in a love triangle or depicting it so well and fairly on all sides), in addition to a lot of other obscure characters.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:18 am »
Was shocked and saddened to hear that tonight while playing ball with a fellow comic fan....damn- that's just sad.  Such a top notch talent from the old school who just perfected his craft each time he went on another project.  There will never be another quite like Mr. McDuffie - inspiration.

HOLY FREAKIN FREAKIN CHRIST!!! HE'S TOO YOUNG TO HAVE PASSED!!! OMG I FEEL TERRIBLE!!
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:42:29 am »
from PeterDavid.net:

DAMMIT
I never wanted to believe something was an Internet hoax more than when a morose Kathleen informed me that Dwayne McDuffie had passed away.

I’ve known him literally for decades, going back to his days as an assistant editor at Marvel. I loved his work on “Damage Control,” which I always thought was inspired and should have been an ongoing title. I continued to read and enjoy his constantly innovative and groundbreaking work throughout the years, and I was thrilled to have the chance to actually work closely with him on several episodes of “Ben 10: Alien Force” and “Ben 10: Ultimate Alien,” for which he was the story editor. I will never forget sitting in his office as we worked out storylines. There was more than just his physical presence (he was well over six feet tall). He seemed to radiate confidence in his abilities, which was entirely warranted, and he was determined to roll with whatever curves Cartoon Network might throw his way and turn them into the best stories possible. He had boundless enthusiasm not only for his work, but for the sheer creative process. To say he will be missed is to understate it. I offer condolences not only to his family, but to the entirety of fandom for losing one of the great ones.

As for us, right now we’re watching one of his “Ben 10″ episodes and later I’m running out to buy his “All-Star Superman” DVD.

PAD

This is what made me believeit.I'm going to leave now...prayers to Mcduffie's family,jeezus christ christ jeezus....
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Online Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »

...HE'S TOO YOUNG TO HAVE PASSED!!! OMG I FEEL TERRIBLE!!

My sentiments too!  It's really hard to believe!  Sympathies to the family which will be in my prayers!

Live your lives folks!

Peace,

Mont

Offline The Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:17 pm »
This is very sad and still shocking news to me. I wish all of those close to him all the best!  :'(

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »
from PRIEST:

February 25, 2011
Giants
There are few men I've known whom I've admired more than Dwayne McDuffie. Few men whom I have learned more from or wanted to be more like. I am so grateful for his friendship, for having known him, spent time with him, laughed with him, fought with him, worked way past midnight with him. Iron sharpeneth iron, scripture tells us, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. In a tough business full of struggle and competition for fleeting moments of achievement, there simply wasn't a more talented creator, a more staunch ally or fearsome foe. There's bound to be a lot of jokes about Dwayne being a giant in the industry. He was a giant outside of it too. I can't begin to describe the inestimable loss Dwayne's passing represents to our work and our lives.

another cry for help from priest