Author Topic: With great power...  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
With great power...
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:26:43 am »
I can't take credit here, I saw this on another forum and wanted to get some HEF views...changed it a bit but the premise is mostly the same.

Q or some other almighty being appears before you one day and tells you that he is going to give you Superman's power. You will have full knowledge of all his power's abilities, and will also have none of Superman's vulnerabilities. For purposes of this (HEF now) discussion, the version of Superman whose powers you will receive is the modern one (no pre-crisis or Prime). Once bestowed, the powers are permanent.

What will you do now?

I've seen posts from world domination to not doing nothing at all...should be fun getting HEF ideas.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: With great power...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:54:18 am »
Gail Simone once wrote a funny story where Superman flew all the way to a country in Africa to assist a young tribe Chief fend off an attack from its native, corrupt government militia and as a gift for his good deed, was given homemade bisquits by the Chief's mother by which he flew instantly back home to Lois in time for breakfast.

If I was granted the powers of Superman, I'd probably do fly-bys like that in third world countries. ;)

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:46:31 am »
...just whoa

With this level of power I'd STILL be smart enough to Not underestimate pre-existing governments like the U.S.! After all, there is no reason to assume such manipulative beasts, such as they who manipulate world affairs while playing stupid and coy, wouldn't have secret levels of tech that are light years above and beyond what they are assumed to really possess.
After all, how can you truly trust such people when you consider all that they have done, not done, have admitted to about their natures, and have been alluded to about their natures by others. play it wise in other words. Better safe than sorry.

That said, I would not allow that to stop me from saving peoples lives, granted I'd do it all from behind the scenes as much as possibly could. I WOULD in time show myself though, since humans seem to require 'heroes". You just gotta be careful to not let yourself become too much of a cult of personality, to myself as well as others. With the powers I'd start by furthering the USA's tech levels so as to get the Rest of the worlds economy jump started (since the US's economic well-being affects the rest of the worlds, for good or for ill, like it or not), then I'd jump to sharing that tech to other specific companies and nations.

Being an anarchist by nature, I care little for abusive nations and governments who harm their citizenship, but that said, as an anarchist I also respect others Turf, so I'd hold back butting into the affairs of all but the worst offending nations. I WOULD fly ripping holes through Japanese whaling ships. I'd also dig a 1000ft deep ditch and build a1000ft tall wall between the US & Mexican borders since neither side can play nice.

I'd make an even Bigger wall+ditch between Darfur and those *** wipes of the Sudan. Next I'd do some damage to the Somalian pirate fleets, wipe-out their heads of control, then fix up that nation. Same with Ethiopia and It's sadistic government. I'd bring frozen water (think Superman III) to the drought stricken regions of the world, clean up the environment as fast and as wisely as possible.

Next up would be solving the World wide Oil crisis (without the A-Okay of OPEC) which is far far FAR worse than most would have come to realize, since MOST so called alternate fuel sources (such as Bio-diesel) don't actually have a chance in limbo of working.
This would be done with tact and in a way that wouldn't adversely affect the world economy even worse, most likely I'd find a better, safer, cleaner burning fuel source, one that would work with pre-existing engines... Like modified waters for starters.

I'd jump start the Heck out of the Space program by fling people up towards other planets as fast as possible. Setting up extra-planetary cities and getting mining going in the asteroid belt. I'd do this because I find people who make the statement "I'd don't think we should go to other worlds and destroy them as well, i think we should stay right here and fix the world we've got" to be idiots. After all, those "Other world' such as Mars, are dead worlds. If our intent were to go to those world to "destroy them", well that's just idiotic to believe is a "reason". In reality Our real reason is to get off this world long enough to let it heal, and to bring life to mars. If we Could destroy such a dead world when that was anything Bout our reason for going there, I can't see it being logical that such a homicidal race will EVER fix This planet.
That line of tripe is just lunacy.
I'd get humanity off this world as fast a possible so Earth can heal.

Don't get me wrong, i understand the real reason the world governments don't want us up in space is because they've spent sooo blood much time playing puppet master with the world so as to control its' populace, that the Last thing they'd ever want is for humans to be free of that control and start forming nations on other worlds that they couldn't control, but I don't care about them so... Poo poo for them.

I'd ALSO use my powers to start searching for missing children and people. All of this and more.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:51:11 am »
The MIRACLEMAN series handles this question well.  It end with....SPOILERS.....

....nuclear arms being thrown in the sun, money being abolished...Superman takes over the world, and the world is better for it.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:55:26 am »
yeah, that's pretty much it.

i wouldn't "rule" the world but, if you don't fix the environment, if you don't stop murdering each other wholesale, enslaving each other and the like, a lot of heads are going to roll.  literally.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.