Author Topic: American Masters: Marvin Gaye  (Read 2406 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
American Masters: Marvin Gaye
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:22 am »
AMERICAN MASTERS is the greatest documentary series of all time but they really outdid themselves with the Marvin episode.

When a legend is robbed from us in the tragic fashion that Gaye was there is a tendency to simplify his life and package it as neatly as possible. Most of us know that Gaye desperately wanted his father's love and was conflicted with his devotion to the Lord and music. The documentary takes these shadows of information and gives them form.

Marvin Gaye is the embodiment of his conflict between the sacred and the profane. The documentary shows that each album demonstrated which side of the conflict was winning out. WHAT'S GOING ON was Marvin "Putting his erotic fantasies aside" and focusing on the world. After that period, the erotic side took over and we get LETS GET IT ON.

As a child I knew that the lyrics in LETS GET IT ON demonstrated Gaye's struggle between submission and temptation but the documentary shows just how deep it was. The song was trying to justify Marvin being with a teenager that would later become his second wife. That puts a whole new spin on an all time classic.

There are so many great moments throught the film, especially the commentary from Smokey Robinson but the telling of Gaye's death is truly moving.

I don't want to spoil anymore as I learned so much about the man that I never knew before.

You MUST watch this documentary.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Masters: Marvin Gaye
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:49:06 am »
AMERICAN MASTERS is the greatest documentary series of all time but they really outdid themselves with the Marvin episode.

You are quite right, Sergeant. I've seen one AMERICAN MASTERS way back in '86 of Aretha Franklin and wondered if the series has continued.  Now I know.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:35:08 am »
I'll check it out. What's your favorite Marvin Gaye song?

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:26 pm »
I'll check it out. What's your favorite Marvin Gaye song?

It is a tie between WHAT'S GOING ON and LETS GET IT ON.

If I had to choose I would pick the latter for its last line

"Do you know the meaning of being sanctified?"

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »
[quote Do you know the meaning of being sanctified?"
[/quote]

It generally means to get closer to God. But coming at the end of that song I'm not sure if it's not in a sweaty naked kinda way!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:14:33 pm »
[quote Do you know the meaning of being sanctified?"

It generally means to get closer to God. But coming at the end of that song I'm not sure if it's not in a sweaty naked kinda way!
[/quote]

You know EXACTLY what he meant, Cheirel! 8)