Author Topic: Seeking Asylum, por favor!  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Seeking Asylum, por favor!
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
Hey, I've got an extra room!

Young Mexican police chief fired after reportedly fleeing to U.S.
By Liz Goodwin
Desperately Seeking Asylum

According to Yahoo news, the Associated Press reports that 21-year-old Marisol Valles has been fired from her post as police chief of the violent town of Praxedis G. Guerrero when she didn't show up for work this morning. She is reportedly seeking asylum in the United States after receiving death threats from drug cartels. She may have difficulty making an asylum case, though, since U.S. immigration officials typically approve such request on the basis of political threats to an applicant's life or well-being, and Mexican drug violence is obviously not state-sanctioned.

Would you like to know more?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110307/us_yblog_thelookout/young-mexican-police-chief-fired-after-reportedly-fleeing-to-u-s

...here's a funny comment in the forum...

Derek:

"@#$%! she can come live with me."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Seeking Asylum, por favor!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:36:23 am »
I concur with Derek.. but in all seriousness.. wow.. law enforcement officials are shook by this ongoing problem.. I wonder if there's a movement at all in mexico towards legalization.. all the firepower, manpower, being levied against the cartels hasn't been working... north or south of the border..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:42:27 am »
It's not about legalization in Mexico...The cartels exist to cater to the gigantic US market.  We are the problem.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:53 am »
It's not about legalization in Mexico...The cartels exist to cater to the gigantic US market.  We are the problem.

Yep.   Anybody here smoke weed?  Guess what?  Chances are that joint (or blunt) you're puffing on is indirectly coming from Mexico.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:01 am »
Weed is not the problem.  I mean, it is, but it's nothing compared to cocaine.  That's where the money made.  That's what people get killed over. 

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51:21 am »
She's actually married with an infant son, though. In fact I found another article that says she came to America to get medical care for her sick son and decided not to go back. I don't know if she's in the wind or officially seeking asylum (I vote the former, though).

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_17565259?source=most_viewed

Okay so she WAS detained somewhere. I would have just fled, changed my appearance, and got a job in the kitchen of a Mexican restaurant. I don't know if they'll see "threat of beheading" as a credible reason to seek asylum in the US.  :-\
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin