Author Topic: James Cameron Wants To Do Battle Angel After The Avatars, Has Plot All Worked Ou  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
from BLEEDING COOL:

James Cameron Wants To Do Battle Angel After The Avatars, Has Plot All Worked Out
Submitted by Brendon Connelly on February 1, 2011 Ė 7:33 am
James Cameron has considered handing his adaptaion of Battle Angel Alita off to another director, but ultimately decided to keep hold of the reigns himself. It will be some time before he can get around to actually making the film, however, as thereís the small matter of Avatars 2 and 3 and all of the requisite reinventing of cinema technology to be done in the meantime.

Hereís Cameronís update on the Battle Angel movie, as told to Collider:

Iím obviously going to be pretty busy for the next five years and so I had to consider, do I hand this project off to another director? And then I thought, ĎNo, I love it too much.íĒ

Itís such a rich world. What Iím going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie.

All of this, I expect, to be presented in the 60 fps 4k digital 3D that Cameron will have pioneered with the Avatar sequels in the meantime. Unless he just goes for 72fps 8k digital 3D with 9.1 audio, because you never really know with Jim how far heís going to push things.

Perhaps Battle Angel will be the film on which he reunites with Jessica Alba. But I donít think there will be any room for Kim Kardashian.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
James Cameron: Why 'Avatar 2' 3D Will Be Better Than the Original
12:07 AM 2/1/2011 by THR staff
James CameronThe director says he's working on improving technology for the sequel.
James Cameron says he's aiming for an improved 3D viewing experience on Avatar 2.

Even though many agree that Avatar raised the bar on 3D technology, the filmmaker told the Wall Street Journal he's not satisfied.

ďFor Avatar 2, what Iím most interested in is getting theaters to up their light level,Ē Cameron said. ďAnd we want to shoot the movie at 48 or maybe even 60 frames a second, and display it at that speed, which will eliminate a lot of the motion artifacts that I think are causing some people problems.Ē

Cameron said he hopes to eliminate complaints from moviegoers "about feeling sick."

"I think itís because the image is strobing,Ē the director said. ďThatís a function of the 24-frame rate, which has actually got nothing to do with 3D. Itís just made more apparent because the 3D is otherwise such an enhanced, realistic image, that all of a sudden youíre aware of this funky strobing which you werenít aware of.Ē

Cameron added the same camera system was used on Sanctum, a film he produced that opens Friday. While it worked well for that film, he said it poses challenges for Avatar 2 because of the sequel's subject matter and locations, which include water.

Avatar 2 is scheduled for a December 2014 release.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
I'm relieved that Mr. Cameron was able to acknowledge the dizzying effect of 'image strobing' that occurs in a lot of movies that use CG technology in visual effects as it seems a lot of movies are fond of fast and furious camera movements where the camera POV is orbiting an object or environment at blurring speeds.  It can be overwhelming at times. :o