Author Topic: Red Riding Hood  (Read 1826 times)

michaelintp

Red Riding Hood
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:55 pm »
Just a quick note, as I saw a screening of this today. With all the bad reviews, I had a strongly negative expectation. Still, saw it as I have a thing for werewolves. I was pleasantly surprised. The cinematography was good, the storyline kind of a cute romantic tale sprinkled with some amusing fairy tale references, and the special effects were pretty good too, as far as I was concerned. A darker spin on some of the ol' fairy tales and bedtime stories, with some period fighting scenes with CGI, an evil priest, a beautiful heroine.

As to the main mystery in the film, it was not clear to me throughout most of the film who the werewolf was. So it had me guessing. There were some interesting plot developments as well.

Bottom line ... I thought it was fine. I can only imagine that part of the reason it got as bad a hype as it did is because of the anti-Twilight sentiment out there.

Despite the reviews, I would recommend it as a buck rental from the Redbox. It was fun to watch.

michaelintp

Re: Red Riding Hood
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:07 pm »
I just don't understand why they didn't use this tune as the theme song for the movie ... a song I dearly remember ...

Period video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G4Vnk-7mzM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Live video but more recent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D7zMIjGNK0

Full version with better sound (with silly photos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQciVXVmcE&feature=related

Strangely, after seeing the film today, I can't get this song out of my head ...  8)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »
Seyfried is cute.. but I wonder is this really an gothic-era Twilight story?  I wonder will there be an unrated version on DVD.. I will likely check this out when it hits the second-run theater in the area...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

michaelintp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »
Seyfried is cute.. but I wonder is this really an gothic-era Twilight story?  I wonder will there be an unrated version on DVD.. I will likely check this out when it hits the second-run theater in the area...

The theatrical release was pretty tame, in terms of sex. In that sense, material suitable to that same demographic as Twilight. And there was the similar aspect of two guys both vying for the attentions of the beautiful maiden. Perhaps that's part of the reason for the negative reception as well ... for the Twilight fanatics, it was NOT Twilight, and for the anti-Twilight faction, it was too much like Twilight. I would be interested in what you think, after you see it.

I thought it was worth it just to hear Julie Cristie speak in a perfect American accent. ;)

... and yeh, Seyfried is cute, and well suited to the role.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:56 am »
spoilers***

...I'd give it a B-.. i thought it was going to be ridiculous by the first 10-15 minutes, but the narrative started to improve for me after that..

I'd never seen any of the Twilight movies, but i noticed the parallels with the female heroine and her love triangle..
I must confess that I had the wolf-person wrong, by the time of the reveal.. I wanted the climax to have more action, though..
I though Gary Oldman did a good job of the "vanhelsing" figure in father Thomas..
...the iron elephant.. that was a real torture device back then?

..the epilogue was a little amusing (though the "fantasy" sequence of Red running off with Peter was kind of odd), I wonder if they're trying to have a sequel..
Be Kind to Someone Today.