Author Topic: Jerry Lawson, Inventor of Modern Game Console, Dies at 70  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Lawson, Inventor of Modern Game Console, Dies at 70
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »
Gerald "Jerry" Lawson
1940 - 2011
From the article:

Predating the release of Atari’s Video Computer System by a year, the Channel F was the first videogame machine that used interchangeable game cartridges, which Fairchild sold separately. Previous game machines like Atari’s Pong and the Magnavox Odyssey had all their games built into the hardware. Lawson’s pioneering design set the standard for the game consoles of today.

The whole reason I did games was because people said, ‘You can’t do it,’” he told the San Jose Mercury News last month. “I’m one of the guys, if you tell me I can’t do something, I’ll turn around and do it.”

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:52 am »
God bless... I wonder did he manage to own the patents to his creations ($$), so many folks get jerked by the industries they help inspire..  I would have loved to meet him.. I wonder if he completed his autobiography.. It would be cool to do a movie on him.. I am depressed now that I won't have the chance to meet him..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:43:51 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:42 pm »
I am depressed now that I won't have the chance to meet him..

Well, it's interesting...

He lived and grew up in a Queens, New York housing projects before they became 'concentration camps' for black folks in the late 70s, 80s and 90s.  Somehow, our paths never crossed or I didn't know anything about him until recently.
There was a guy named Irate Gamer who made a series of videos on youtube about The History Of Video Games around 2008 that became very, very popular until eventually he managed to get  the material transferred to DVD this year.  It's a pretty good series, however, just before I thought about purchasing the DVD, Mr. Lawson died.

The first in the series of five

There is no mention of Mr. Lawson. This was an oversight that deserved recognition because I'm pretty sure the popular belief is that only white guys create video games and video game machines so Mr. Lawson never made the history books in that industry as far as that documentary is concerned.  From my point-of-view, I've always known black kids and young, black adults to have a hand in the video gaming industry.  I knew of this one  brother who beta tested the popular arcade game, Defender, who was the most dynamic player out there.  So, that wasn't new to me but what did surprise me was that it was Mr. Lawson who set the standard of how video game home systems would be designed in the future.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:22:27 pm by Battle »