Author Topic: Black Remakes  (Read 6845 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Remakes
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:20:07 pm »
OX BOW INCIDENT- This would be perfect with a Black cast and a White protagonist.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »

I didn't know any of those freaks/fools in Rocky Horror Picture Show!
Is that how white folks live, Jessie?

I don't know about other white folks, but its time this one came clean...its true...I'm just a sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvania  :P

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:09 pm »
Wow didn't expect this kind of commenting of my idea for Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I guess I should clarify, I wouldn't want a remake, but a reimagining. 

Totally rewrite the music, the setting, but tell the same story.  (Well to me the story is irrelevent--dont even care for the story--it's the music.  I want to here another take on it.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
I have been waiting for this remake for a while and don't see why it couldn't be done starring Black actors, and this a remake of Logan's Run.

(though some would complain about making Logan Black; but truly, in this movie, race isn't a defining characteristic.)

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:07 pm »
The Wild Bunch:  Keep it a period western.

Seven Samurai: Re-imagined as a group of seven African warriors.

Straw Dogs: Set in the hood as opposed to a remote English village.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:47 pm »
Say... maybe there can be a new House Party film for the 10's... mr. reggie would control it from top to bottom, of course.. new story, new script, and new stars.. maybe Drake could be the 'kid' role, and Kanye West could be 'play'.. they're both young enough to still pull it off, get alicia keys, nicki minaj to play the lead girls, have plenty of contemporary music, it could work..  ;D
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 10:22:50 pm »
I'm looking at a stack of scripts that don't need "remaking" to have black casts in them. I hate remakes and I hate black face remakes more.

Why take somebody else's thing and paint it black when we have so many of our own stories still untold?

To hell with that.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:51 pm »
With the current Hollywood trend of remaking older properties still ongoing, what black/black-themed stuff from days gone by do you think should be remade? So far, we've had Shaft (2000). I heard that the Wiz and the Last Dragon were going to be remade as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing MANTIS updated, a CW styled Generations (soap opera), Get Christie Love (never watched the show, but always liked the title), and New Jack City

Loved "Get Christie Love!"  Picked up a DVD with one episode and it still holds up.  It would be fun to see who the HEF'ers would suggest for the role Theresa Graves slayed:

Tarajji P. Henson
Tasha Smith
Jill Marie Jones

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »

Why take somebody else's thing and paint it black when we have so many of our own stories still untold?

Are you sure that you're ready for our stories to be told?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »
I'm looking at a stack of scripts that don't need "remaking" to have black casts in them. I hate remakes and I hate black face remakes more.

To hell with that.

Because Hollywood rarely wants to do something original first; they'd much rather remake The Creature from the Black Lagoon than create a truly unique monster movie.  I mean, they want to remake Barbarella, a movie I don't think that could exist outside of the late 60s/early 70s.  It is a movie of that time.  If it isn't a remake, it's a "top ten" novel adapted to the screen.  New original stuff?  Remake has a better chance.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »

To hell with that.

Because Hollywood rarely wants to do something original first; they'd much rather remake The Creature from the Black Lagoon than create a truly unique monster movie.  I mean, they want to remake Barbarella, a movie I don't think that could exist outside of the late 60s/early 70s.  It is a movie of that time.  If it isn't a remake, it's a "top ten" novel adapted to the screen.  New original stuff?  Remake has a better chance.

This is a lesson I have learned the hard way.  If you take all those original ideas and find an existing property to insert them into, your life gets a lot easier.

The best example of a person who dances back and forth between originals and preexisting franchises is Christopher Nolan.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:50:18 am »
If you take all those original ideas and find an existing property to insert them into, your life gets a lot easier.

The best example of a person who dances back and forth between originals and preexisting franchises is Christopher Nolan.

...or even Steven Spielberg.

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »
I want to see a Black Robocop in that new remake.

What? I do.

Stop looking at me...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:36:56 pm by BLANKS!!! »