Author Topic: Charter Parents Rallying To Halt NAACP Lawsuit  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Charter Parents Rallying To Halt NAACP Lawsuit
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:33:48 am »
Charter school parents and advocates are planning a massive rally tomorrow to demand that the NAACP withdraw from the city teachers union’s school closure lawsuit.

The UFT is the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit to halt 22 school closures and prevent 17 charter schools from opening, moving, or expanding. But the New York State Conference of the NAACP also signed on, as it did last year to a similar suit that ultimately blocked 19 school closures. Last year’s suit did not challenge the city’s charter school co-location plans.

Organizers expect the rally to draw thousands of attendees from dozens of charter schools, including all 17 named in the lawsuit, to 125 Street in Harlem at 8:45 a.m. Thursday. At least some schools are delaying classes to allow parents, teachers, and students to attend.

Critics of the lawsuit “can march and have rallies all day long,” said Hazel Dukes, president of the state NAACP chapter. “We will not respond.”

http://gothamschools.org/2011/05/25/charter-parents-to-rally-against-naacps-lawsuit-involvement/

P.S.: I didn't know about this AT ALL til I ran into a angry, chanting mob on my way to work.  :o

Great way to start the day lemme tell ya. ;D

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Charter Parents Rallying To Halt NAACP Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:38:52 am »
P.S.: I didn't know about this AT ALL til I ran into a angry, chanting mob on my way to work.  :o

After 6 years of working in DC, I've encountered a lot of chanting angry mobs.  But at this point, you could be protesting for world peace, but if you cause me to sit in traffic (well, MORE traffic than normal in DC), I'm against you.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Charter Parents Rallying To Halt NAACP Lawsuit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:10:14 pm »

After 6 years of working in DC, I've encountered a lot of chanting angry mobs.  But at this point, you could be protesting for world peace, but if you cause me to sit in traffic (well, MORE traffic than normal in DC), I'm against you.

Heh. Funny, that is pretty much what I was thinking: "This must be what it like for JLI Jesse every other day."  ;D