Author Topic: Single Ladies  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Single Ladies
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:40:03 am »
VH1′s first scripted hour-long series, Single Ladies, focuses on three Atlanta women (Stacey Dash, LisaRaye McCoy, and Charity Shea) and their various dating lives in the Southern city. While Ladies doesn’t officially premiere until May 30 on the network, EW has an exclusive clip from the two-hour premiere. In this scene, Val (the stunning Dash) confronts her ex-boyfriend Quinn over their recent break-up. “She’s a romantic and she believes in love even though she’s had her heart broken,” says Dash, best known for 1995′s Clueless. “She still believes that her prince is out there and she will find him come hell or high water. She is determined. But what I also like about her is that she is no pushover. She’s very dynamic.” Watch below to see the “dynamic” Val in action.

Hot clip!
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/26/single-ladies-exclusive-clip/

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Single Ladies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:48 am »
VH1′s first scripted hour-long series, Single Ladies, focuses on three Atlanta women (Stacey Dash, LisaRaye McCoy, and Charity Shea) and their various dating lives in the Southern city. While Ladies doesn’t officially premiere until May 30 on the network, EW has an exclusive clip from the two-hour premiere. In this scene, Val (the stunning Dash) confronts her ex-boyfriend Quinn over their recent break-up. “She’s a romantic and she believes in love even though she’s had her heart broken,” says Dash, best known for 1995′s Clueless. “She still believes that her prince is out there and she will find him come hell or high water. She is determined. But what I also like about her is that she is no pushover. She’s very dynamic.” Watch below to see the “dynamic” Val in action.

Hot clip!
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/26/single-ladies-exclusive-clip/

Great scene!   Reminds me of my break-up w/ my Ex many moons ago... :'( 
Ms. Dash is no joke!  She's been taking care of herself really well. :-*

What ever happened to spontaneity in filmmaking?  Why can't a simple scene like this between multiple characters be done in one or two takes?   This scene looks as If it was shot all day.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:54:41 am »
I checked out the pilot last night. Theroot.com asked if Single Ladies can bring some class to VH1, and after watching the pilot, I would probably say no. It's a polished show, with a beautiful cast, but it pretty much has pretty people doing some ugly or at least untidy things. I didn't get much comedy in the pilot, though the show is touted as a romantic comedy.

Of the three characters (Spoilers):

Dash plays Val, a designer, who gives her athlete boyfriend a marriage ultimatum, which he rejects. She starts out the movie making a big deal about waiting 90 days before she has sex. But after her breakup she bows to the power of white cock and has sex, which we later find out is unprotected, with a white dude who she meets at her store, on their first date. A week or two later she has unprotected sex with her ex, which results in a pregnancy scare that dominates the rest of this character's arc during the pilot. I thought her behavior was odd, however I think they mitigated that by showing she is acting out over the breakup, she also bought an expensive car she can't afford. Though it didn't sit well with me that this got it together, businesswoman would allow two dudes to go raw, especially one she didn't know.

Raye plays Keisha, an aging video girl who is a player. She doesn't get emotionally entangled, she keeps it strictly sexual, until she meets a rich jeweler, played by DB Woodside. Now she's fighting her attraction to him. She also was blackmailed by an ex-video vixen who is writing a tell all book. I guess Keisha owed her money (didn't get the why behind that), so Keisha steals an expensive piece of jewelry from a Cam'ron video shoot. That jewelry belonged to Woodside and now he's vowed to find out who did it.

Shea plays April, the married girl of the group. Her husband is Anthony Montgomery, the nearly mute Travis Mayweather from ST: Enterprise (good to see him in something again). April is cheating on her husband with the ATL Mayor, played by Common. April got married early and feels she missed out on a lot. Montgomery wants to have kids but she is putting him off.

I think all of the three characters have started in interesting places storywise. April and Keisha have the clearer arcs, though Val's search for love will drive her arc. I did like the cameos (Chili, Eve, Common, Kandi, Lauren London, Cam'ron) and it provided an interesting look into the world of the black ATL elite, now whether it was a good look is another question.

I don't think its a show I will stick with. I don't feel I'm the target audience anyway and I think The Game has done a better job mixing the drama and the comedy. To be fair, this is only the pilot, and it was far from horrible, but didn't really hook me. Though I might drop in from time to time to check out Stacey Dash. She's mesmerizing. Also, I'm curious to see where the arcs will go. I got a good feeling about what will happen to April and Keisha (the previews of the season showed some of what's in store for April), but I will be curious to see where Val winds up.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:38:05 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:58 am »
intriguing.. hope it gets promoted well, and lasts..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:20 am »
I think the show has the potential to do well, especially if Basketball Wives and Love and Hip Hop are doing well on VH1. Single Ladies's characters aren't as over-the-top. I didn't realize that Queen Latifah's Flavor Unit was behind it at first. I think Queen covered this territory better in Living Single and that actually was a comedy, with doses of drama.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »
I find this so funny. Are you guys sure you wasn't blinded by beauty and booty? it really wasn't that good. It was close to awful. my husband walked out on the first commercial. My daughter now 14 and I were left to watch it. What kept us there was of course the shoes and clothes.

The relationship stuff was kinda weak. It was good to see Lisa Raye out of white. The outside filming i,e. looked like it was done on a iphone.

Val had sex yes with 2 people 1 the condom broke so she didn't go bare back with them both. The other one was her long time man and since he broke up with her, that was unexpected act that she did just to prove that she could. Of course she could she had no panties on with that little short dress on she looked hot as all get out.

Keisha the the theft her character was kind of boring. In real life Raye and Dash have had a fight so there is a bit of tension there.

I did like the all the cameos.

It is suppose the new Sex in the City. We will see!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:35:59 pm »
Well, I don't think Single Ladies is high quality by any means. But look at the network it's on and what it's companion show is. Compared to Basketball Wives it's perhaps the more sane alternative. Single Ladies could be a guilty pleasure type show. I thought the main three gave decent performances, the guys were weaker in the acting department across the board. I thought the relationship stuff was decent enough, though I read on another board that that someone considered this show smart. It's definitely not that. It could use some stronger writing, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it was the pilot and it might take a minute for the show to find its voice.  So far it hasn't said anything new or different about relationships, or about professional black women or professional women in general (speaking as man).

I didn't hear the part about the condom breaking, my bad on that, and I did acknowledge that the second time was with her ex. I still found it odd that she jumped the white guy's bones on their first date, though I can chalk that up to her emotional distress. But if the condom did break why didn't she have him pull out to put on another one?

And yes I was blinded by beauty, but I don't think there was enough booty, except for Stacey in that hot blue dress. I wonder if the lack of bootyliciousness will be corrected in the DVD release?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »
I didnt look at the show yet but HOLY sh*t THAT DRESS GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD DAYUM!!! Anyway I'll give a chance and see what's up.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:10 pm »
Haven't seen this yet.

Did want to mention that I think its cool that Queen Latifa's production company managed to get this and Just Wright out in consecutive years.

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »
As bad as the pilot was I'm always happy to see some black folks making some money.

As far as the condom is concerned my guess/ the premise is they didn't know until he was wearing it as neckalce when they were done.

I will give 2 episodes to be fair. Basketball wives is just shamefull.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »
As bad as the pilot was I'm always happy to see some black folks making some money.

As far as the condom is concerned my guess/ the premise is they didn't know until he was wearing it as neckalce when they were done.

I will give 2 episodes to be fair. Basketball "baby mamas" is just shamefull.

Is the proper term. I'm sorry but yes i went there
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

I will give 2 episodes to be fair. Basketball wives is just shamefull.

+1
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:15 pm »
i make a cameo in episode 3 or 4.

all i know is that lisaraye, isaiah washington and db woodside are at the park... and i walk right in front of them...me and a young hottie holding hands....i'm rockin' my hat...lookin' waaaay to cool.
anyway, i show up.

lisaraye is cool in person.
her booty keeps the men hypnotized. i saw so many blank stares it was hilarious

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »
i make a cameo in episode 3 or 4.

all i know is that lisaraye, isaiah washington and db woodside are at the park... and i walk right in front of them...me and a young hottie holding hands....i'm rockin' my hat...lookin' waaaay to cool.
anyway, i show up.

Cool! Continued good luck to you!

lisaraye is cool in person.
her booty keeps the men hypnotized. i saw so many blank stares it was hilarious

I'm not surprised at all. ;D

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »
I watched it for the first time tonight. It was the episode with Mac Miller and Rick Fox offered Lisa Raye ten G's for sex. I liked it.