Author Topic: Jamie Foxx Looming Large In 'Django Unchained'  (Read 11060 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Jamie Foxx Looming Large In 'Django Unchained'
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:30:38 am »
DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD DAILY:

Jamie Foxx Looming Large In 'Django Unchained'

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday June 22, 2011 @ 5:51pm EDT

BREAKING: Quentin Tarantino has made his choice and negotiations will begin for Jamie Foxx to play the title character in Django Unchained. Tarantino's next film will be distributed domestically by The Weinstein Company and overseas by Sony Pictures. Production begins November.

Foxx will join Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson in a Sergio Leone-style spaghetti Western that Tarantino wrote and has set in Mississippi during slavery. No deal has been made yet, but it shouldn't take long. While the early focus had Will Smith the likely participant, Deadline told you on June 7 that those talks had gone south, and we were first to identify Foxx as a prime contender for the role along with Idris Elba and Chris Tucker.

The choice of Foxx is an inspired one. After transitioning from comedies to dramas, Foxx proved himself a formidable physical presence in films like Any Given Sunday, Collateral, Jarhead and Law Abiding Citizen, and has shown his acting chops there and in his Oscar-winning turn in Ray. Those facets are prerequisites for the role of Django. And Foxx can ride a horse, too.

Django is a slave who's liberated by a German dentist-turned-bounty hunter and taught the tricks of the trade by his mentor. Django's major goal in life is to recover his wife, and to do it he needs to get past the villainous ranch owner Calvin Candie (DiCaprio), who runs Candyland, a despicable club and plantation in Mississippi where female slaves are exploited as sex objects and males are pitted against each other in "mandingo"-style death matches. Candie is a slave's worst nightmare, and that is where Django's wife Broomhilda is an abused slave.

Waltz, who won the Oscar for Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, is locked as the bounty hunter and DiCaprio signed on earlier this month. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction star Jackson is also expected to play the role of Stephen, Candie's valet who keeps the slaves in line at Candie's residence. Tarantino turned in his script in late April to The Weinstein Company's Harvey Weinstein, and Sony Pictures signed on shortly after to distribute in offshore territories.

Django Unchained is being produced by Tarantino's Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher, along with Pilar Savone and Reginald Hudlin. Weinstein, Michael Shamberg and line producer Jim Skotchdopole are exec producing.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Jamie Foxx Looming Large In 'Django Unchained'
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
"Broomhilda"... heh.heh...   :P

..if this is allowed to be as insane as QT's other stuff.. could be a hoot..

..but given the subject matter, I wonder about the n-bombs sure to be dropped throughout..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:15:20 am »
Well since it is around the times of slavery it should be expected. I hope they have it in the film.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:45 am »
And lots of naked black women...at least  a lot of ebony breasts!

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:52:31 am »
A Hudlin/Tarantino collaboration should raise a few (multi-million) eyebrow$...

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »
I hope you are very successful in this collab Mr. Hudlin.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:00 am »
I will be interested to see how this develops.

I have read there were some complaints about the script online(yes, I know there are complaints about EVERYTHING online).

Mainly that for 2/3rds of the movie the focus was on Django's mentor not Django.

One can only judge the finished product and I figure a Jamie Foxx vehicle would take a different direction than a Will Smith vehicle anyway.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:54 pm »
Maybe the film is apart of a franchise which is why the focus of the film is the mentor? Maybe in the sequel we'll see him in more action?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:29:50 pm »
Maybe the film is apart of a franchise which is why the focus of the film is the mentor? Maybe in the sequel we'll see him in more action?
I'm not going to talk a lot about the movie at this point, but it is an origin story AND he will see lots of action.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »
And lots of naked black women...at least  a lot of ebony breasts!
;D kudos for going there in text, Mastrmynd (I was going there in my head, but I figured i'd get slammed).. this needs to be more of a trend in mainstream cinema.. music-video near-nudity aside, you don't see black chicks featured in the American Pie/Old School/Hangover genre, and you almost never really see black girls have pam grier/jeanne bell moments in film, anymore..  :-\

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »
From The Movie Star by Bill Simmons

Just last month, a story circulated around Hollywood that Quentin Tarantino was desperately pursuing Smith as the lead for his next movie, Django Unchained, in which a freed slave teams up with a German bounty hunter to find his wife and ends up killing a bunch of plantation owners along the way.17 Supposedly the script is incredible. Supposedly Smith's agents at CAA and even his manager begged him to play Django. And supposedly, Smith turned it down. He didn't want to risk what he had. He didn't want people to meet Angry Slave Will Smith. He didn't want to mess with a sure thing.

So yeah, Will Smith might be our only movie star right now, but that says more about Hollywood's faults than anything else. Goldman once wrote that, in Hollywood, nobody knows anything. He was wrong. Will Smith figured out where Hollywood was going well before anyone else. These days, it's all about making alien movies, superhero movies and sequels. Will Smith beat everybody there. He could see the future and the future sucked. You can't call him a failure because he accomplished exactly what he wanted to accomplish. But shouldn't his career have been better? Didn't he have a responsibility to push himself? Isn't that what good actors are supposed to do?

The article is pretty interesting. This is the part pertinent to this thread.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:41 pm »
From The Movie Star by Bill Simmons

Just last month, a story circulated around Hollywood that Quentin Tarantino was desperately pursuing Smith as the lead for his next movie, Django Unchained, in which a freed slave teams up with a German bounty hunter to find his wife and ends up killing a bunch of plantation owners along the way.17 Supposedly the script is incredible. Supposedly Smith's agents at CAA and even his manager begged him to play Django. And supposedly, Smith turned it down. He didn't want to risk what he had. He didn't want people to meet Angry Slave Will Smith. He didn't want to mess with a sure thing.

So yeah, Will Smith might be our only movie star right now, but that says more about Hollywood's faults than anything else. Goldman once wrote that, in Hollywood, nobody knows anything. He was wrong. Will Smith figured out where Hollywood was going well before anyone else. These days, it's all about making alien movies, superhero movies and sequels. Will Smith beat everybody there. He could see the future and the future sucked. You can't call him a failure because he accomplished exactly what he wanted to accomplish. But shouldn't his career have been better? Didn't he have a responsibility to push himself? Isn't that what good actors are supposed to do?

The article is pretty interesting. This is the part pertinent to this thread.

Is it that a Hollywood team was turned down by Will Smith because he didn't  want to tarnish his (rather unique)Hollywood box office appeal that's pertinent to this thread?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:43 pm »
I'm sure it could still have been interesting if Will would have done it.. kind of an anti-Wild Wild West (I liked most of that film but was disappointed in some parts)..

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »
I'm sure it could still have been interesting if Will would have done it.. kind of an anti-Wild Wild West (I liked most of that film but was disappointed in some parts)..

Yep.
Wild Wild West had a great opening but its steam-punk styled CGI was too overdone towards the finale.
This is bit off-topic but I just saw Posse the other day and remembered that was another cowboy flick with black folks in the cast where I liked most of the story but was disappointed in some parts.  
Can't anyone in Hollywood make a 100%  satisfactory  western  from start to finish anymore?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:55:59 am by Battle »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »
This is bit off-topic but I just saw Posse the other day and remembered that was another cowboy flick with black folks in the cast where I liked most of the story but was disappointed in some parts. 

As a 12 year old boy seeing his first nudity in a movie theater, this movie will always have a place close to my heart  ;D