Author Topic: Kevin Costner to Train Slaves in 'Django Unchained'  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Kevin Costner to Train Slaves in 'Django Unchained'
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:50 am »
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:

Kevin Costner to Train Slaves in 'Django Unchained'
The actor joins Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson for the Quentin Tarantino helmed Western.

3:46 PM 7/18/2011 by Borys Kit

Kevin Costner is joining the all-star cast of Quentin Tarantinoís Django Unchained, the filmmaker's spaghetti Western about a slave in the Old South who teams with a German bounty hunter to search for his wife.

Costner joins a cast that already such bold-faced names as Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Samuel L. Jackson, and Christoph Waltz.
Costnerís role is a departure from his good-guy roles and a cannonballing into the part of a vile and sadistic trainer of slaves who are forced to fight in death matches for a plantation owner (DiCaprio, also departing from his usual).

Foxx is Django, a man in search of his wife while Waltz is the German who helps him on his quest. Jackson is a head slave who works for DiCaprio and relishes his status over other slaves.

Django ist the second high-profile gig snagged by Costner, once of the biggest studio stars. He recently nabbed the part of Supermanís Earth-bound father, Pa Kent, in Zack Snyderís Man of Steel movie.

Costner is repped by WME.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Kevin Costner to Train Slaves in 'Django Unchained'
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
Bull Durham himself?  Fascinating.. Hopefully some more high-profile actors will continue to get involved..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
I am so not feeling this movie.
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37:22 am »

What turns you off? Subject matter? Story summary? Casting? Terrantino? General Hollywood distrust?
I am sincerely curious.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:58:09 pm »

What turns you off? Subject matter? Story summary? Casting? Terrantino? General Hollywood distrust?

Yes.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 02:34:34 pm »
Ha ha. I know the temptation was strong but seriously, this is a good place and time to voice any concerns.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31:41 pm »
Yeah, even I agree with the other two people in this thread...
Although I think it's a good idea for a Hudlin/Tarantino collaboration, I vowed to never again see another quentin tarantino movie  after the train wreck that was 'inglorious basterds'.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:44:50 am »
I understand if you don't like IB but train wreck seems unfair. It is very much a Tarantino project and a tall tale told with dark humor but I think that's a good thing. I can see how others may think otherwise. Whether you like the results or not, we have to acknowledge that QT is a skilled filmmaker with a distinctive voice.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:27:57 am »
Whether you like the results or not, we have to acknowledge that QT is a skilled filmmaker with a distinctive voice.

Certainly, he is recognized as such.  When it comes to entertainment it only takes one sour movie for me to distrust.
He remains skillful but gives me enough reason to believe that he's just another Hollywood director who has nothing to say to me.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 07:30:52 am »
I understand if you don't like IB but train wreck seems unfair. It is very much a Tarantino project and a tall tale told with dark humor but I think that's a good thing. I can see how others may think otherwise. Whether you like the results or not, we have to acknowledge that QT is a skilled filmmaker with a distinctive voice.

I know people love his work, I'm just not one of them.  People gave me grief because I didn't like Pulp Fiction.  IMHO, his only good movie was Reservoir Dogs and that was a BLATANT rip off of City on Fire.  If you want to remake a movie, call it a remake or a homage, don't just make people think it's original.  I don't like his unhealthy obsession with Black people either, but that's a whole other thread.  I thought Inglourious Basterds was a long, boring, snore-fest of a movie and Waltz was the only good thing about it, Defiance was much better.  To put it short (too late) I don't like him, his movies or most of his rabid, fanboy fan base that think he can do no wrong.