Author Topic: SDCC 2011 Exclusive: Liss Pits BLACK PANTHER vs. Kingpin  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
SDCC 2011 Exclusive: Liss Pits BLACK PANTHER vs. Kingpin
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:59:39 pm »
Following the events of last summerís Shadowland event, Daredevil left New York to find himself. That created a void in Hellís Kitchen, one filled by an unlikely source ó Black Panther, himself displaced from his home country of Wakanda.

TíChalla has encountered many different challenges since his relocation, but starting with Novemberís Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive #525, heís taking on one of the biggest threats in the Marvel Universe, in terms of both power and girth: the Kingpin. And Wilson Fiskís got the Hand, Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary in tow, which means Black Panther is taking on Daredevilís old business in a very direct way.

Newsarama has the first interview with series writer David Liss on the ďBlack Panther vs. KingpinĒ arc, with The Whiskey Rebels novelist discussing holding off on introducing traditional Daredevil villains to the book, the surprisingly personal nature of the storyís conflict, and working with artist Shawn Martinbrough (Detective Comics), who's illustrating the arc.

Newsarama: David, Black Panther has been in Hell's Kitchen for a while now, but it looks like this story arc ó with Kingpin, the Hand, Lady Bullseye and Typhoid Mary ó is him dealing with traditional Daredevil business in a much more overt way than before. Were you deliberately holding back on these types of elements until further into your run?

David Liss: The short answer is: yes. I didn't want to jump in by having Black Panther take on Daredevil enemies because, though Black Panther is taking on Daredevil's responsibilities, I wanted to make it clear T'Challa was more than a substitution player. Our book is about Black Panther, not about some guy taking care of Daredevil's business. But that said, the Hand has set up shop in Hell's Kitchen, and Wilson Fisk is now ruling the hand, so sooner or later, these guys were certain to butt heads. So while I absolutely wanted this conflict to happen from the beginning, I did not think it ought to happen at the beginning.

Nrama: In this story, you're getting a chance to work with a lot of iconic Marvel villains that have been in some very famous stories, but in a new context given that the Black Panther is the one going after them, not Spider-Man or Daredevil. Can we expect to see different sides of these characters due to this dynamic?

Liss: Daredevil and Spider-Man have their styles, and T'Challa has his. Kingpin would know that he can't hope to resist Black Panther the same way he resisted those guys, so yes, you will see a different dynamic and a different kind of contest. They are both ruthless plotters and canny strategists, and their conflict is going to reflect that.

Nrama: On the flipside of that, how is Black Panther going to react to the threat? How does it compare to other conflicts he's dealt with thus far in your run?

Liss: One of the things I've been moving toward in this book, especially in the current Fear Itself tie-in, is clarifying who Black Panther is and why he is the most dangerous man alive. But when he takes on the Kingpin, he'll be taking on one of the most dangerous criminals alive. The stakes are going to rise in all kinds of ways ó some of them political, some of them personal. I'd say the biggest difference with this arc is going to be that everyone is playing for keeps and no one can afford to lose.

Nrama: What can you say about the nature of the conflict between Kingpin (and his crew) and Black Panther? Is it more of a matter of the natural conflict that comes with the territory, or do things, as you suggested earlier, get pretty personal?

Liss: Without giving too much away, I will say that this conflict is more than just the protector of Hell's Kitchen standing up to the Kingpin. Wilson Fisk and T'Challa find themselves in direct opposition, and they both have a great deal to fight for. So it is personal, and as the conflict continues, it will get even more so. Both of these characters are going to find themselves in a position where each feels he must win, but only one can. One of them is going to walk away ó assuming he does walk away ó much worse off than he began.

Nrama: When you think about Kingpin and Typhoid Mary, you think about the classic comics by creators like Frank Miller and Ann Nocenti. Are there any specific stories serving as inspiration for this arc, either directly or obliquely?

Liss: I am not riffing on any particular arcs, but I always keep the Daredevil legacy in mind when putting together stories for this title. It's a Black Panther book, but because of where he is, I always want it to feel like its happening within the Daredevil tradition.

Nrama: Black Panther taking on these types of threats doesn't seem like something that'll be wrapped up in one or two issues. How long will the Kingpin's presence be felt in the book?

Liss: This arc will be five issues, but there is a lead-in issue, and I'm currently plotting out the arc that will come out of this, which will be based on the fallout of what happens in this story. What I have in mind is not a sequel or a continuation, but rather a consequence.

Nrama: In less than a year, Black Panther has established a pretty lofty artistic legacy with the work of Francesco Francavilla and Jefte Palo. Next up is Shawn Martinbrough. Itís early still, but what can you say about what he's bringing to the book?

Liss: I'm thrilled, and frankly kind of humbled, to be working with Shawn. I haven't seen any of the art for this arc yet, but the guy is amazing, and I love his style. I can't wait to see what he does with this story.

Nrama: Letís wrap up with the obligatory question: with Daredevil reintegrating himself back into the Marvel Universe courtesy of the new Mark Waid-written ongoing series, is there a chance we'll see some seemingly inevitable interaction between DD and BP?

Liss: It seems to me inevitable that there will be some kind of cooperation at some point between the current and former guardians of Hell's Kitchen. It won't be in this arc, but I would love to put Daredevil to use somewhere down the road, and sooner rather than later.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2011 Exclusive: Liss Pits BLACK PANTHER vs. Kingpin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:18 pm »
Hope Liss doesn't punk T'Challa out on this one.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:25:31 pm »
..I would like to see the Panther body-slam Kingpin.. heh..  8)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:20 am »
Sounds cool, though I feel that it's another Marvel vote of no confidence in Black Panther and his rogues' gallery. Why not use this new lease on life to also reintroduce some of Panther's villains? Since his secret identity is one of the worst kept secrets in NY it seems, why isn't Klaw, Killmonger, or someone else showing up for revenge?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
This is the only comic I look forward to.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47:46 am »
All of the previous comments are reflective of my own opinion as well.I am eager for David Liss to keep writing,even though this incarnation of BP isn't my favorite one yet. I do see that he's growing on me and I note the change from MAN WITHOUT FEAR to MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE as a deliberate change in substance and emphasis.It gives me thrills and hope for BP's future...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:59:27 am »
I always wanted to see a battle between Kingpin and Black Panther. Seeing as Vlad was an employee of his I expected Kingpin to show up at some point. We'll probably learn that he was watching T'Challa the whole time. I hope we see a team up between Black Panther and The Punisher. I often wondered how they would work together and what the one would think of the other.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:00:27 am »
What I hope to see is the return of the invincible supercool unflappable strategist and "man with a plan" that we saw in CP's run. To be blunt,without a Black writer,there is NO WAY that we will see The BLACK Panther that we saw in RH'S run or even an "interpretation" of that Panther like we saw in Jason Aaron's run or the excellent STORM miniseries...but I am hopeful that we will see kinda like a hybrid of the previous Panthers.The dazzling h2h potential of a Maberry Panther (very rich unexplored territory with the new martial art and the Dark Physics idea) is constantly overlooked,as is the awesome lethality of the Jason Aaron Panther.This dude beheaded Super Skrulls like it ain't no thang. I loved how CJP's Panther usually beat bad guys long before the battle even started,and the story unfolded in such a way that the bad guys and the readers had to discover that they were already beaten before the conflict began (I saw flashes of this in how Liss handled the Kraven-Storm Hunter battle and even in Maberry's handling of DoomWar wherein T'Challa stopped the world rampaging victory of Victor von Doom by hitting a SINGLE button; that was a major cool point which got thoroughly overlooked). The strength,power and love of T'Challa and Storm's love is getting too overlooked imho but at least whenever they share panel time together,they also share clear love affection and genuine character moments ranging from the tender to the impressive when they pair off in tandem against some soon-to-be-pimp-slapped superbaddie.

Truth? Kingpin is FAR BELOW T'Challa's notice,whether or not T'Challa has Bast at his back. T'Challa is way smarter,way more dangerous,and just da shiznizzle.I will read how he handles Kingpin with interest.I also wonder how he'll handle American Panther,as AP seems stronger than T'Challa...a genuine surprise.Remember how T'Challa clocked AP and AP shrugged it off? A single blow from Panther should render pretty much every street leveller and even guys up to Cage's strength level asleep...as T'Challa's savvy and nerve striking skills are second to none. I still hope to see T'Challa and Shang-Chi working out and sparring together one day...and I mean the MOKF using his Chi,which effectively makes him peak human-with-bursts-of-superhuman-ability.T'Challa should be revealed as working against higher and higher levels of bad guys as he makes his way back to his status of "cooler-badder-richer-smarter-more ruthless-better fighter than the Batman of The MU" status.I believe that this is where Liss is taking T'Challa...as the title THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE is nothing less than what T'Challa always was/is.This time,though,Liss seems to be determined to up T'Challa's profile by taking the MU reader along for the ride to watch T'Challa's stock climb and step-by-step through the transformation that legitimizes him as the ultra badazz that we BP fans have always known he was and hoped he'd be treated and respected as.

T'Challa+Punisher? Interesting in one way...good for spreading T'Challa's name and props. On the other hand? Well RH BP said it best when he was talking to The Black Widow:"I employ people like you". He's way too cool and too big for Punisher,and will eventually be so again. As he ascends,there will be a time where he should be able to team up with Frank Castle and be quite an interesting 1-2 punch.Get the LCBD to give T'Challa his props.That's basically what I see this whole "depowered to street level" thing as now; I wasn't so sure or confident AT ALL of Liss at first. I think that Liss is fully aware that a permanently "street level" BP is ABSURD,and will plot maybe a year or maybe 2 year long arc or so that will chart BP's climb from street level back to his previous lofty status but with a host of other and better consequences challenges etc. etc. along the way and when he returns to the throne.Another stint with the newly minted F4 along with a mandatory 'revenge retaliation&git-back' throwdown with Doom is definitely due. A face to face with Namor and some balancing of past dues is a must.An extended stint with the Bendis written Avengers (on stuff that should precede T'Challa's return to the Wakandan throne) is hella overdue. Matt Fraction writing a 3 or 6 issue arc with T'Challa and Tony Stark working with each other and working out their past differences is definitely definitely definitely a must. T'Challa and Wolverine going off just beatin up people,T'Challa out-strategizing people,both showing off their supersenses and combat skill and experience and contacts while ripping things down in a 3,4,or 5 issue arc is a must. Even a stint in Thor where they team up and talk with each other as rulers of kingdoms is a must.Seriously.And T'Challa could match wits with Loki or Hela or Surtur or someone (all of them? Dare we hope?) in the process.I mean...could you imagine Hela and Loki or Hela and Set (better pairing I think) offending Bast by swiping the spirit of T'CHAKA,reanimating him,making him threaten the MU as a pawn,tricking Thor into thinking it's T'CHALLA instead of T'CHAKA,having Thor and T'Challa square off in a real throwdown...and then team up as they get back at Hela,Set,and impress the MU heroes in the process? That's be SWEET.It'd also allow the exploration of the shared dynamics of Thor and T'Challa...both the sons of the greatest kings their native kingdoms have ever seen,and both having questions and issues regarding succeeding such unequaled personages.T'Challa overcoming T'CHAKA in direct combat and yet expressing a son's love and fealty by returning him to honored rest and spiritual peace within the protective grasp of Bast...and we could even see Bast beat some azz for once.We've never seen Bast tear off in anyone,but messing with the spirit one of her human Panthers could do the trick and evoke some personal smash assery from her.Whaddya think? I know it'd be ill...cuz I could write a sicc fanfic of those stories WITHOUT the art.Again,I proposed this idea years ago,back during RH's first year...and HEF's pre-hacked incarnation.

T'Challa matching wits with The Grandmaster.You heard it from ya boi Supreme Illuminati years ago,and hear it is one more once.

And btw...it's good to be back on HEF.Missed yall.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:04:30 am »
What I hope to see is the return of the invincible supercool unflappable strategist and "man with a plan" that we saw in CP's run. To be blunt,without a Black writer,there is NO WAY that we will see The BLACK Panther that we saw in RH'S run or even an "interpretation" of that Panther like we saw in Jason Aaron's run or the excellent STORM miniseries...but I am hopeful that we will see kinda like a hybrid of the previous Panthers.The dazzling h2h potential of a Maberry Panther (very rich unexplored territory with the new martial art and the Dark Physics idea) is constantly overlooked,as is the awesome lethality of the Jason Aaron Panther.This dude beheaded Super Skrulls like it ain't no thang. I loved how CJP's Panther usually beat bad guys long before the battle even started,and the story unfolded in such a way that the bad guys and the readers had to discover that they were already beaten before the conflict began (I saw flashes of this in how Liss handled the Kraven-Storm Hunter battle and even in Maberry's handling of DoomWar wherein T'Challa stopped the world rampaging victory of Victor von Doom by hitting a SINGLE button; that was a major cool point which got thoroughly overlooked). The strength,power and love of T'Challa and Storm's love is getting too overlooked imho but at least whenever they share panel time together,they also share clear love affection and genuine character moments ranging from the tender to the impressive when they pair off in tandem against some soon-to-be-pimp-slapped superbaddie.

Truth? Kingpin is FAR BELOW T'Challa's notice,whether or not T'Challa has Bast at his back. T'Challa is way smarter,way more dangerous,and just da shiznizzle.I will read how he handles Kingpin with interest.I also wonder how he'll handle American Panther,as AP seems stronger than T'Challa...a genuine surprise.Remember how T'Challa clocked AP and AP shrugged it off? A single blow from Panther should render pretty much every street leveller and even guys up to Cage's strength level asleep...as T'Challa's savvy and nerve striking skills are second to none. I still hope to see T'Challa and Shang-Chi working out and sparring together one day...and I mean the MOKF using his Chi,which effectively makes him peak human-with-bursts-of-superhuman-ability.T'Challa should be revealed as working against higher and higher levels of bad guys as he makes his way back to his status of "cooler-badder-richer-smarter-more ruthless-better fighter than the Batman of The MU" status.I believe that this is where Liss is taking T'Challa...as the title THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN ALIVE is nothing less than what T'Challa always was/is.This time,though,Liss seems to be determined to up T'Challa's profile by taking the MU reader along for the ride to watch T'Challa's stock climb and step-by-step through the transformation that legitimizes him as the ultra badazz that we BP fans have always known he was and hoped he'd be treated and respected as.

T'Challa+Punisher? Interesting in one way...good for spreading T'Challa's name and props. On the other hand? Well RH BP said it best when he was talking to The Black Widow:"I employ people like you". He's way too cool and too big for Punisher,and will eventually be so again. As he ascends,there will be a time where he should be able to team up with Frank Castle and be quite an interesting 1-2 punch.Get the LCBD to give T'Challa his props.That's basically what I see this whole "depowered to street level" thing as now; I wasn't so sure or confident AT ALL of Liss at first. I think that Liss is fully aware that a permanently "street level" BP is ABSURD,and will plot maybe a year or maybe 2 year long arc or so that will chart BP's climb from street level back to his previous lofty status but with a host of other and better consequences challenges etc. etc. along the way and when he returns to the throne.Another stint with the newly minted F4 along with a mandatory 'revenge retaliation&git-back' throwdown with Doom is definitely due. A face to face with Namor and some balancing of past dues is a must.An extended stint with the Bendis written Avengers (on stuff that should precede T'Challa's return to the Wakandan throne) is hella overdue. Matt Fraction writing a 3 or 6 issue arc with T'Challa and Tony Stark working with each other and working out their past differences is definitely definitely definitely a must. T'Challa and Wolverine going off just beatin up people,T'Challa out-strategizing people,both showing off their supersenses and combat skill and experience and contacts while ripping things down in a 3,4,or 5 issue arc is a must. Even a stint in Thor where they team up and talk with each other as rulers of kingdoms is a must.Seriously.And T'Challa could match wits with Loki or Hela or Surtur or someone (all of them? Dare we hope?) in the process.I mean...could you imagine Hela and Loki or Hela and Set (better pairing I think) offending Bast by swiping the spirit of T'CHAKA,reanimating him,making him threaten the MU as a pawn,tricking Thor into thinking it's T'CHALLA instead of T'CHAKA,having Thor and T'Challa square off in a real throwdown...and then team up as they get back at Hela,Set,and impress the MU heroes in the process? That's be SWEET.It'd also allow the exploration of the shared dynamics of Thor and T'Challa...both the sons of the greatest kings their native kingdoms have ever seen,and both having questions and issues regarding succeeding such unequaled personages.T'Challa overcoming T'CHAKA in direct combat and yet expressing a son's love and fealty by returning him to honored rest and spiritual peace within the protective grasp of Bast...and we could even see Bast beat some azz for once.We've never seen Bast tear off in anyone,but messing with the spirit one of her human Panthers could do the trick and evoke some personal smash assery from her.Whaddya think? I know it'd be ill...cuz I could write a sicc fanfic of those stories WITHOUT the art.Again,I proposed this idea years ago,back during RH's first year...and HEF's pre-hacked incarnation.

T'Challa matching wits with The Grandmaster.You heard it from ya boi Supreme Illuminati years ago,and hear it is one more once.

And btw...it's good to be back on HEF.Missed yall.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »
glad 2 have u back S.I.
:)
I've missed your long azz post and run-on sentences

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
glad 2 have u back S.I.
:)
I've missed your long azz post and run-on sentences

My bad on the double post! Lolol @ run on sentences...missed you Mastr
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 04:13:05 am »
About Supreme's post, I don't think T'Challa should be given props for the push of one button at the end of DoomWar. It begs the question that if he had this option all along why didn't he use it from jump? Why allow his country to be taken over, his uncle to die, his wife and family to be threatened, his people to be killed? Once he knew what Doom's true intent was, he could've denied him the use of the vibranium instead of allowing Doom to create that robot/or whatever army that could threaten the entire world.

What I think Maberry brought to the mythos was Shadow Physics (which has been ignored), the Desturi (which seems to have been destroyed), a good take on Shuri (which he himself ruined by turning her into the Paris Hilton of Wakanda), and a nice grasp of internal political division in Wakanda which will doubtlessly not be explored anytime soon since we haven't heard of any plans for Wakanda or Shuri lately. I liked Maberry up until the second issue of DoomWar, and it is unfortunate that many of the things he introduced aren't going to get used because Marvel and Mr. Liss seem intent on turning T'Challa into Black Daredevil.

Though I do think Kingpin is a worthy foe. He's in charge of a criminal empire with global reach. He is highly intelligent and cunning, plus extremely slippery. I think it could be a good match up. I think T'Challa could match/surpass Kingpin in the strategy department, in a way Daredevil never has been able to. I also wouldn't mind T'Challa v. The Hand or T'Challa v. Elektra. I think they both are advesaries with global reach. I'm iffy on him taking on Lady Bullseye. I think it could be a good fight, but if she's quite at Elektra's level. Lady Bullseye feels more even more like a Daredevil villain. I'm not sure about Typhoid Mary.

It would be nice if some of BP's own villains showed up in Hell's Kitchen (aka New Wakanda).

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »
"The Kingpin of Wakanda"?  I wonder if this could be T'challa's way back to the thone!?!

Peace,

Mont

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:09 am »
About Supreme's post, I don't think T'Challa should be given props for the push of one button at the end of DoomWar. It begs the question that if he had this option all along why didn't he use it from jump? Why allow his country to be taken over, his uncle to die, his wife and family to be threatened, his people to be killed? Once he knew what Doom's true intent was, he could've denied him the use of the vibranium instead of allowing Doom to create that robot/or whatever army that could threaten the entire world.

What I think Maberry brought to the mythos was Shadow Physics (which has been ignored), the Desturi (which seems to have been destroyed), a good take on Shuri (which he himself ruined by turning her into the Paris Hilton of Wakanda), and a nice grasp of internal political division in Wakanda which will doubtlessly not be explored anytime soon since we haven't heard of any plans for Wakanda or Shuri lately. I liked Maberry up until the second issue of DoomWar, and it is unfortunate that many of the things he introduced aren't going to get used because Marvel and Mr. Liss seem intent on turning T'Challa into Black Daredevil.

Though I do think Kingpin is a worthy foe. He's in charge of a criminal empire with global reach. He is highly intelligent and cunning, plus extremely slippery. I think it could be a good match up. I think T'Challa could match/surpass Kingpin in the strategy department, in a way Daredevil never has been able to. I also wouldn't mind T'Challa v. The Hand or T'Challa v. Elektra. I think they both are advesaries with global reach. I'm iffy on him taking on Lady Bullseye. I think it could be a good fight, but if she's quite at Elektra's level. Lady Bullseye feels more even more like a Daredevil villain. I'm not sure about Typhoid Mary.

It would be nice if some of BP's own villains showed up in Hell's Kitchen (aka New Wakanda).

T'Challa had rigged the Vibranium a long time ago just in case some fool got tuh swiping it.And IIRC in Doomwar,T'Challa had to draw Doom out to him because only when Doom was in proper range and T'Challa knew that Doom hadn't concocted some fiendishly brilliant counter or whatever could T'Challa push the button to nuetralize the Vibranium that Doom had and was using personally.If T'Challa nuetralized all of the rest of the refined Vibranium (leaving,I would suppose,the UNREFINED Vibranium still in storage somewhere) but not the Vibranium that Doom was using to amp his magic? Doom could still probably take over the world with his Vibranium enhanced techno-magic powers and massive brilliance.

I agree with all of your other well stated points.Good to see you again,Brother Emperor.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 10:44:41 am »
This is getting better...now he has to take on a well known threat and come out on top....hope this leads back to being the King of Wakanda and reconnecting with his people.  Liss is writing a street level version of T'Challa that does not bode well for what Mayberry did with his change after Doom attacked him...have not even seen any of the tattoos he had back then and planned to use (seems like a waste not to explore his mystical powers).