Author Topic: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man  (Read 39914 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
« on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:01 am »
BLEEDING COOL:

The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
Submitted by Rich Johnston on August 1, 2011 – 7:00 am

Tonight, it is possible that Marvel will pre-announce the identity of the new Ultimate Spider-Man to the Associated Press, or similar.

It is possible he will be a young African American, potentially the Ben Reilly scientist character who has stores the late Peter Parker’s DNA and that’s certainly what Bleeding Cool has been speculating.

But that’s all, purely based on Marvel’s belief that the comic will get lots of publicity, both the revelation in Ultimate Fallout #4 and the appearance in Ultimate Spider-Man #1, the attempt by Donald Glover to get the role of Spider-Man, an industry recognition of the lack of high profile black leads in their comics, and the fact that in the preview material of the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon we haven’t even seen Peter Parker’s face.

Some however… see it in different ways. Such as Larry of Larry’s Comics, a prominent New England retailer who has made a name for himself on social networking and setting up the regular Tuesday #comicmarket Twitter hashtag.

Larry has… shall we put it, and unfortunate way with words. I’ve debated with him his use of the word “gay” to mean lame before, and has a reputation for not exactly being progressive with his language in terms of women. Some people see this as refreshing anti-political correctness, I see it as a prominent businessman being needlessly offensive to a potential consumer base in an attempt to cause some controversy and get himself noticed.

Well, yesterday, he certainly got that, when he began discussing the possibility of a black Spider-Man. He tweeted;

Facepalm.

Larry soon deleted the tweets as negative opinion began to flow in. But he still didn’t seem to think he’d done anything wrong. I pressed him on the matter and he replied.

google African American Jokes. Do it now. WHY is it good natured and funny When somebody BEDIDES Larry Doherty says it?

I asked him if he was drinking and tweeting. It was really the only reason I could come up with as to why a comic book retailer would be posting this kind of thing.

not drinking Rich. ( which is rare ) Genuinely thought it was funny. And appropriate. Guess I AM a dick. #comicmarket

I believe that Larry’s behaviour here is totally from ignorance rather than maliciousness. But for any businessperson to behave in this way publically…well, that’s takes ignorance to a new level.

So, no, I don’t think his kind of thing calls for a boycott. But maybe… a little education?

Admission: I appear to appear on the cover to Larry Comics’ retailer variant cover of Ultimate Spider-Man #666, photoshopped in, next to Barack Obama. Oh the ironies.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:36:38 am »
I think I know what's coming next. ;)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:52:43 am »
is this "the" big thing, reggie reg?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:02 am »
is this "the" big thing, reggie reg?
I think it's going to be very big.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:35:36 am »
Honestly, I don't see how anything involving Ultimate Spider-Man can be "big" these days.  It seems like the glory days of the Ultimate Universe are long behind it. 

I gave up on it years ago following the Loeb's horrible writing and complete boredom with Bendis on Ultimate Spider-Man.

I wonder this though: What percentage of young african american men say "oy" and how long until Bendis has the new Ultimate Spidey saying just that?

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:17 am »
lol.
i KNEW it was Spidey related! lol
but i did think the "news" would be about you writing something too

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:40 pm »
SURPRISE!!!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »
I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I look forward more to the inevitable internet freakout over this than the book itself.

I may be online too much. :-[

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »
whaa...?  Curious.  First time i've heard of this angle.  I'd hoped it would be a minority youth.  I guess we'll see.  I also like the 'original' all new outfit rather than this latest reveal.  Hopefully the black/red outfit is finally used for the regular series..

..now as far as the cartoon-- I doubt they'll go there.  If they do, i will gladly celebrate the internet breakage.. heh..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:27:18 pm »
they don't call it the House of Ideas for nothing. Can't wait.
Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:52 am »
Pulled from BC...

Well, it’s not Ben Reilly. So, sorry any of you who stocked up on Ultimate Spider-Man #61. But thematically we were in the right ball park. In advance of Ultimate Fallout #4′s sale on Wednesday this week, USA Today has been given the scoop by Marvel who aren’t quite sure why they are putting spoiler comics in spoiler bags anymore when they go and do something like this…

We have an African-American president, so why not an African-American Spider-Man, too?

Revealed in Marvel Comics’ Ultimate Fallout Issue 4, out Wednesday, the new Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe is a half-black, half-Hispanic teen named Miles Morales. He takes over the gig held by Peter Parker, who was killed in Ultimate Spider-Man Issue 160 in June.

In his first appearance, he simply breaks up a fight. But readers will learn the true origin of Morales and how he became the new Spider-Man when Ultimate Spider-Man relaunches in September with a new No. 1 issue.

“The theme is the same: With great power comes great responsibility,” says writer Brian Michael Bendis. “He’s going to learn that. Then he has to figure out what that means.”

(Rich adds) This is important an attempt to break the white hegemony at the top of the superhero charts, where black leads just don’t sell as well as their white counterparts, based as they are on work from the sixties which just weren’t as ethnically diverse as we’ve come to expect from other forms of entertainment.

Whether Miles will apear in the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, the article doesn’t say. Bendis says he was inspired in part by Donald Glover’s appearance in TV series Community dressed as Spider-Man, part of the actor’s attempt to pitch himself in the movie role. USA Today quotes Bendis as saying;

“He looked fantastic! I saw him in the costume and thought, ‘I would like to read that book.’ So I was glad I was writing that book.”

We also learn;

The creation of Miles Morales, a teenager with an African-American father and Hispanic mother, has been personal for his creators. Axel Alonso, Marvel’s editor in chief, is of mixed cultures (his father is Mexican, his mother is British), and Bendis has two adopted daughters, a 3½-year-old from Ethiopia and a 4½-month-old African American.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 02:05:09 am by Marvelous »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:17 am »
I didn't know about the connection to Bendis' personal life, but I knew Axel had been wanting to do this for a while.  We talked about it before the last relaunch of USM.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:05:08 am »
Sounds intriguing. I'm waiting to see how it all progresses though. I am surprised, and heartened that Marvel actually took Donald Glover's campaign seriously. The movie studio didn't. Heck, neither did I. It just goes to show that sometimes a single person or a small, passionate group can get the powers to be to listen.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:31:25 pm »
Sounds intriguing. I'm waiting to see how it all progresses though. I am surprised, and heartened that Marvel actually took Donald Glover's campaign seriously. The movie studio didn't. Heck, neither did I. It just goes to show that sometimes a single person or a small, passionate group can get the powers to be to listen.
Well, I think Bendis was right.  You saw him in the suit, you know his work, and it felt right.  The fact that casting him wasn't an option made them realize they needed to create that possibility.  Mark Millar proved it could be done with Samuel Jackson in THE ULTIMATES, so why not do it again?