Author Topic: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man  (Read 40090 times)

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 05:30:41 pm »

Also, looks like Jason Aaron is Marvel's goto guy now.   ;D
And he should be. Add Yost, DnA and Giffen and you have yourself a super team of writers handling the MU.

Yost is the shiznit!
give him the keys 2 the xmen castle

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:37 pm »
ICv2:

Marvel Says New 'Ultimate Comics' Spider-Man Is Not Gay
'Not That There's Anything Wrong With That'
Published: 08/03/2011 03:58pm

Yesterday’s announcement that the new Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Miles Morales is a half-black, half-Latino teenager (see “Marvel Unveils New Ultimate Comics Spider-Man”) triggered a maelstrom of mainstream media coverage, and though the majority of major outlets like USA Today, The New York Times, Forbes, and The Washington Post appear to have gotten the story more or less right, others such as the London Daily Mail, the Drudge Report, and Glenn Beck apparently want to bring even more “diversity” to the Marvel universe by reporting that the biracial Miles Morales was gay.  A spokesperson for Marvel Comics confirmed to ICv2 unequivocally that “Miles Morales isn’t gay.”

Britain’s right wing Daily Mail may have been the first to comment on the sexuality of the new character in an article by Daniel Bates: “But another surprise could be in the pipeline after his creators said in the future they would not rule out making him gay,” while Drudge reported, “Marvel kills off Spider-Man, replaces with half-black, half-Hispanic reincarnation… could be gay.” On his radio show Glenn Beck said the new Spidey, “looks just like Obama… Do I care if he’s half-Hispanic, all Hispanic?  Half-black, half—I really don’t care. Half-gay, all gay, I don’t really care, I don’t care, it’s a stupid comic book.”  This from a man who lavishly praised the Broadway musical version of Spider-Man, but thinks the comics are “stupid.” Following his typical conspiratorial bent Beck managed to blame Michelle Obama for the new Spider-Man.

It appears that these highly political media outlets arrived at their conclusion about Miles Morales’ sexuality by twisting the meaning of a comment by Ultimate Spider-Man artist Sara Pichelli, who told USA Today, “Maybe sooner or later a black or gay—or both—hero will be considered something absolutely normal.”  It makes more sense to this observer to interpret Pichelli’s remarks as a plea for a more tolerant and colorblind society where the color of a person’s skin or their sexuality wouldn’t exclude them from high profile endeavors—a society in which a fine actor like Laurence Fishburne could land a juicy character role like Perry White in the new Superman film (see “Laurence Fishburne to Play Perry White”) or a Blatino teenager could take up the mantle of Spider-Man without stirring up a backlash.

It doesn’t appear that we’ve gotten there yet.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 01:23:17 am »

And he should be. Add Yost, DnA and Giffen and you have yourself a super team of writers handling the MU.

Can we throw Rucka and Brubaker in the mix?   ;)

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:00 am »

Can we throw Rucka and Brubaker in the mix?   ;)
Brubaker he is already apart of the "fantastic four" We need some new blood. As of Rucka. I dont think i've read any of his works
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:33:35 pm »
Well the racist mitching and boaning train has arrived right on schedule on the various message boards. Lol @ these people acting like Marvel replaced "mainstream" Spidey or something.

It is also...interesting...to see some readers who have expressed disdain for DC's "replace white character x with ethnic character y" practice turn around and give the thumbs up to this particular case.

i know, right!  it's crazy!
i was reading comments on Blastr and was like "yup...the $#!t has hit the fan."
one guy has decided 2 quit marvel cuz they r pandering 2 minorities cuz original black characters arent successful...then created a "Pander-Man theme song.

white folx love them some spider-man

ps: hey, i love me some Bendis.  In Secret War, he had Cage say "I think I just increased the black population by 125%" when they arrived in Latveria.  That ish was hella funny. somrthing i woulda said. lol

I have seen more dislike to this character than like and for all the same reasons when white character is replaced with a minority from it's a stunt, it's pandering, it's an insult, why can't they create a unique Black hero.  (Even though they just can't seem to get this isn't a replacement for the real Spider-man.)

I bought Fallout 4.  It was fair, neither great or bad.  It wasn't really a good teaser.  If it wasn't Bendis and Spider-man, I would propbably skip issue one after that.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
it's an insult, why can't they create a unique Black hero. 

You mean like "Blue Marvel"? Refresh m memory, what issue number is his book on right now?
BTW, who is this "an insult" to?

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »
One of the frustrating things I have seen is that many would use BP and Luke cage as part of their argument saying "if they changed BP to *insert race* you'll get upset" Nigga please. Once they realize that argument is a total failure since some of us like reading comics for their heroism not skin color, then they would use "UMAD" responses. BTW I went to the site and great post Hypestyle. I wont bother going to CBR right now.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »

You mean like "Blue Marvel"? Refresh m memory, what issue number is his book on right now?

"Insult to Blacks"--creating a Black Spider-man is giving the Black community "tablescrapes."  (I call Spider-man the main course, myself.)  Some saw it as a stunt, or worse, and not serious storytelling, therefore, that's insulting.

But no character is going to be liked by everyone.  What one finds right and good, another calls it insulting.  Can't please everyone, so they shouldn't try.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:09:50 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:13 pm »

"Insult to Blacks"--creating a Black Spider-man is giving the Black community "tablescrapes."  (I call Spider-man the main course, myself.)  Some saw it as a stunt, or worse, and not serious storytelling, therefore, that's insulting.

But no character is going to be liked by everyone.  What one finds right and good, another calls it insulting.  Can't please everyone, so they shouldn't try.

I can't speak for all "blacks" but I'm not insulted. Neither was my 69 year old mother, when she called me yesterday, asking if I got her a copy of the book(but she's ONLY half Black, so maybe she don't count).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:31:49 pm by Kristopher »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »
why in the hell would i be insulted that a half black kid is the new Spidey...Marvel's premiere character! oh i'm mad that a black character is gonna get some shine....  >:(
man please!
if the story is good, i'm good.

spidey isnt the 1st legacy character to become black.
john stewart is a shining example of that. the JL storylines would be totally different if he didnt exist.

would i love an all new black hero & villain that became #1 with all fans? sure would!
but we all know it isn't in white ppl's DNA to cheer for & spend money on someone who doesnt look like them and is STRONGER or SMARTER than their established white heroes! not gonna happen.

if Kick Ass was a black kid then it wouldnt have become a movie...and nothing prevents KICK ASS from being non white.

i hope Mr Terrific is the sh!t. i really do.  a suave, sexy Black man thats strong & hella smart who loves the ladies of color.  I want him to watch BET or TV1 from time to time, i want his fave movies to be Boomerang, Coming to America, love jones, Friday, Love & Basketball and The Best Man just to name a few.

i want him to be undeniably Black and the coolest muthasucka in the nuDCU.  and i want nonBlacks to love him in spite of all that. see past his Blackness and love and support him.

i liked Tangent Superman. sue me.  you arent hurting my feelings.

Do nonBlacks like the stripped down Black Panther? if no, then put him back in Wakanda...return him back to his cool as hell fringe status. Let him kick ass, take names in his part of th Marvel U and let the cool kids njoy what the sheep are missing. The real T'Challa and the badassery of a mighty African nation. People'll come around especially if u keep showcasing him in Marvel cartoons. And let him enjoy married life cuz Ororo has never been happier or more interesting. She went from being an objectified afterthought to a fleshed out black woman.

ps: Nick Fury became so much more cooler when he became black. just sayin'. lol

/rant over

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 12:44:15 am »
Yea, Blue Marvel was just in Fear Itself: Home Front.  He needs a book, and needs it done right.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 09:18:04 am »
why in the hell would i be insulted that a half black kid is the new Spidey...Marvel's premiere character! oh i'm mad that a black character is gonna get some shine....  >:(
man please!
if the story is good, i'm good.

spidey isnt the 1st legacy character to become black.
john stewart is a shining example of that. the JL storylines would be totally different if he didnt exist.

would i love an all new black hero & villain that became #1 with all fans? sure would!
but we all know it isn't in white ppl's DNA to cheer for & spend money on someone who doesnt look like them and is STRONGER or SMARTER than their established white heroes! not gonna happen.

if Kick Ass was a black kid then it wouldnt have become a movie...and nothing prevents KICK ASS from being non white.

i hope Mr Terrific is the sh!t. i really do.  a suave, sexy Black man thats strong & hella smart who loves the ladies of color.  I want him to watch BET or TV1 from time to time, i want his fave movies to be Boomerang, Coming to America, love jones, Friday, Love & Basketball and The Best Man just to name a few.

i want him to be undeniably Black and the coolest muthasucka in the nuDCU.  and i want nonBlacks to love him in spite of all that. see past his Blackness and love and support him.

i liked Tangent Superman. sue me.  you arent hurting my feelings.

Do nonBlacks like the stripped down Black Panther? if no, then put him back in Wakanda...return him back to his cool as hell fringe status. Let him kick ass, take names in his part of th Marvel U and let the cool kids njoy what the sheep are missing. The real T'Challa and the badassery of a mighty African nation. People'll come around especially if u keep showcasing him in Marvel cartoons. And let him enjoy married life cuz Ororo has never been happier or more interesting. She went from being an objectified afterthought to a fleshed out black woman.

ps: Nick Fury became so much more cooler when he became black. just sayin'. lol

/rant over

Co-sign. SO co-sign.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:12 am »
thanks JRCarter.
i had 2 gt that off my chest.
lol
 8)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »
Nick Fury became so much more cooler when he became black. just sayin'. lol

False  :P

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 02:03:24 pm »
Nick Fury became so much more cooler when he became black. just sayin'. lol

False  :P

nope, it's true. avid Hasselhoff messed it all up. lol