Author Topic: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man  (Read 38550 times)

Offline Redjack

• Honorary Wakandan
  • i've never had a hero. i don't worship people.
    • View Profile
    • a dreamnasium
Re: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »
so everybody's supporting the BLACKJACK relaunch, right?

Soon you will come to know. When the bullet hits the bone.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:27 am »
MILES MORALES & ME - Why the new biracial Spider-Man matters

You always remember the happiest day of your comic-book life. Those of us who refuse to let go of our 22 to 30 pages of monthly joy called comic books once we’ve “grown up” each have our moments. For some, it’s the first time they read Watchmen. Others will say it was when they discovered the X-Men. Perhaps it was that time they read Batman: Year One.

For me, that moment came Aug. 2, 2011, when after reading comic books for more than two-thirds of my life (I am 31) and never being surprised or shocked by anything, I read news that, literally, made my jaw drop.

The new Ultimate Spider-Man, who will have the almost impossible task of replacing the late Peter Parker (easily one of Marvel Comics most popular characters), took off his mask and revealed himself to be a young, half-black, half-Latino kid by the name of Miles Morales.

When I read the news, I was beside myself, as if my brain couldn’t fully process the revelation.

My friendly neighborhood Spider-Man was ... just like me? This is a moment I never thought I’d see. But the moment has arrived, and I — the son of Puerto Rican man who passed his love of comics to me, and a black woman who once called me just to say she’d met Adam West — will never forget that day.

Complete article here.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:53:12 am by Curtis Metcalf »
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:04 am »
that was a really good article

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:33 am »
Great article.  I'm late to the party...again...but I'm back, baby! LOL  Great to see the new Spider-Man, can't wait to pick up the first issue of the new series!!!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 12:05:21 pm »
Will it matter at all of this book actually sucks?  I don't want to be a downer, but it seems that people are excited with the creation of this character and aren't yet concerned with how the book will be. 

Now it will probably be the standard Bendis stuff.  And if you like Bendis, you'll like the book and if you hate Bendis, you won't. 

People are understandably excited with the prospect of a biracial Spider-Man but how much leeway do you give the book before you drop it because you just don't like the story/writing?

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »
Will it matter at all of this book actually sucks?  I don't want to be a downer, but it seems that people are excited with the creation of this character and aren't yet concerned with how the book will be. 

Now it will probably be the standard Bendis stuff.  And if you like Bendis, you'll like the book and if you hate Bendis, you won't. 

People are understandably excited with the prospect of a biracial Spider-Man but how much leeway do you give the book before you drop it because you just don't like the story/writing?

Dammit, Jesse!  This is why I left this forum...you and all that devil's advocate, common-sense stuff!  You'll buy the book, love it, then buy it again, dammit!  Still, it'll get my standard 5 issue test...if it goes well, we'll see.

Offline Shade

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »

Because based on Bendis's track record on USM from the past 11 years the relaunch will be great. I'm not much of a Bendis fan but make no mistake this isn't Avengers Bendis, his work on USM has been one of the best books out there since 2000 and has always been a top seller.
Kiss the sky!

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:40 pm »

For reals, player? Did you write the same thing when "Agents of Atlas" came out? How about the new "Mr. Terrific" or "Static"? Oh, by the way, the NEW Ultimate Spider-Man is  NOT "Bi-Racial"! "Latino", "Hispanic" or whatthef*ckever...., is a CULTURE, not a RACE(see Milt Palacio, Soledad O'Brian, Mariah Carey, Marion Jones Jeremy Suarez and Miguel Nunez Jr.  to name a few).

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 02:06:38 pm »

For reals, player? Did you write the same thing when "Agents of Atlas" came out? How about the new "Mr. Terrific" or "Static"? Oh, by the way, the NEW Ultimate Spider-Man is  NOT "Bi-Racial"! "Latino", "Hispanic" or whatthef*ckever...., is a CULTURE, not a RACE(see Milt Palacio, Soledad O'Brian, Mariah Carey, Marion Jones Jeremy Suarez and Miguel Nunez Jr.  to name a few).

I didn't write the same thing when Agents of Atlas, Mr. Terrific or Static came out because for the most part, the general public didn't care and weren't wigging out (either for or against it).  Also, the latter two had been established for a while now so we kind of know what to expect from those books. 

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 05:47:50 pm »

I agree this is Bendis writing. Now if you say like DnA or Gage then shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit no question a purchase lol
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 06:02:03 pm »
Well, I have to agree with Shade.  I slept on Ultimate Spider-Man after the first two years.  I was fortunate enough to pick up a huge run on ebay and I honestly think that it was probably the best written Spider-Man book I've read in YEARS.  It's the book that JQ wanted Amazing Spider-Man to be when he put forth that OMD/BND travesty.  I'll give Bendis the benefit of the doubt on this one...at least for the first 5 issues.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 06:44:44 pm »

That's some of the realest ish I've heard on this book.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »

I'll give it a chance. If I don't like it, I won't carry on buying it, but I am interested enough to give it a chance.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:32 pm »
Glad I stopped reading long ago, there's no way this is going to be a good idea
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 05:44:10 am »
Glad I stopped reading long ago, there's no way this is going to be a good idea

If you don't mind my asking, why such pessimism at the concept?
It sounds kind of like Spider-man meets Static and both of those work. Certainly the execution could disappoint but were you objecting to the idea? I'm just curious.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."