Author Topic: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man  (Read 40128 times)

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
Re: The Power Of A Black Spider-Man
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
Glad I stopped reading long ago, there's no way this is going to be a good idea

If you don't mind my asking, why such pessimism at the concept?
It sounds kind of like Spider-man meets Static and both of those work. Certainly the execution could disappoint but were you objecting to the idea? I'm just curious.

Just my kneejerk response as Ultimate was perhaps my favorite version of the character, I had read almost all of the first 100 issues and continued until Bagley left the title and I kinda trailed off.  I was very dismayed to hear they just killed Parker off and replaced him regardless of the race of the character.  From what I read of Static and Spiderman they are essentially the same character.  After reading Ultimate Aftermath it kinda soften the blow but still, I'm not loving this at all
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 03:07:35 am »

It sounds kind of like Spider-man meets Static and both of those work. Certainly the execution could disappoint but were you objecting to the idea? I'm just curious.

Just my kneejerk response as Ultimate was perhaps my favorite version of the character, I had read almost all of the first 100 issues and continued until Bagley left the title and I kinda trailed off.  I was very dismayed to hear they just killed Parker off and replaced him regardless of the race of the character.  From what I read of Static and Spiderman they are essentially the same character.  After reading Ultimate Aftermath it kinda soften the blow but still, I'm not loving this at all
as many characters the Ultimate line has killed off i guess spidey was next
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 08:18:21 am »

Thanks for the reply, D.
So you're pissed off that they killed Peter Parker in your favorite version. Independent of who replaces him. I can understand that. Given that that's a done deal, are you open to checking out Miles Morales if it's done well? Again, I'm just genuinely curious.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:57 am »
Given that the same writer is going to write the new character, and looking at the few panels of the new guy we've seen he's pretty much the same personality, I don't see how it doesn't work big time. 

it will be interesting to see if Peter Parker starts to "pale" in comparison, the way original Nick compares to Ultimate Nick Fury. 

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 11:22:05 am »
Marvel is doing now what they should have done since the begining. Peter Parker should have been a black kid since they started the Ultimate line 10 or so years ago. Pansies!! >:(
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 11:26:49 am »
I know Axel wanted to do it during the last reboot but everyone wasn't signing on the concept then.  It's good to be the king....

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:31 pm »
I know Axel wanted to do it during the last reboot but everyone wasn't signing on the concept then.  It's good to be the king....

Yep.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »
I do kinda agree that maybe if they have done this from the begining with the ultimate line it would have turned out "better" but then again maybe not. I think loeb would have killed him off
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »
I think loeb would have killed him off

Now where would you ever get that idea from?  ;D

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »
I think loeb would have killed him off

Now where would you ever get that idea from?  ;D
lol

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:19 am »

Thanks for the reply, D.
So you're pissed off that they killed Peter Parker in your favorite version. Independent of who replaces him. I can understand that. Given that that's a done deal, are you open to checking out Miles Morales if it's done well? Again, I'm just genuinely curious.

I just picked up an issue of Ultimate Aftermath and I thought it was done well and I considered getting the one with Morales's first appearance but I decided to check it out later.  All in all I guess they did their job, they shocked me and got my attention
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:43 am »
Given that the same writer is going to write the new character, and looking at the few panels of the new guy we've seen he's pretty much the same personality, I don't see how it doesn't work big time. 

it will be interesting to see if Peter Parker starts to "pale" in comparison, the way original Nick compares to Ultimate Nick Fury. 

I don't see how killing off an iconic character only to replace him with someone who acts essentially the same is gonna work.  I mean what was the point of changing characters to begin with if all you're going to end up with is Peter Darker?

Ultimate Nick Fury isn't a product of an in universe character change and he was never all that popular anyway.  Changing things for him worked out great but I don't see how the Spider-Man thing will work like that
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 08:00:44 am »
I mean what was the point of changing characters to begin with if all you're going to end up with is Peter Darker?

Ultimate Nick Fury isn't a product of an in universe character change and he was never all that popular anyway.  Changing things for him worked out great but I don't see how the Spider-Man thing will work like that
"Peter Darker"! 
We need to remember how few comics are actually sold.  There's plenty of room for growth.

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
I mean what was the point of changing characters to begin with if all you're going to end up with is Peter Darker?

"Peter Darker"! 
We need to remember how few comics are actually sold.  There's plenty of room for growth.

I admit, I've been waiting to drop that line.  You like?  ;D

My thing is, I never was a fan on this forum of the "Black Version", I don't want a black spiderman, a black superman, black avengers, it's just rings hollow to me.  Alot of people use the example of Ultimate Nick Fury and it's true since his introduction he has basically become the Nick Fury used in basically every form of media format other than the 616, but he is a totally different character IMO from the original version even aside from the skin color, he's Nick Fury in name only.

What was refreshing about your Black Panther series was how great a character he was and how rich the storylines were.  He wasn't just a run of the mill crimefighter, he was a king and badass at that, not a superhero dipped in caramel.  Sorry for rambling
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

Offline Moose100

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 10:48:55 pm »
D-Ruck ur post count is 666!!!! :o

lol that's cool if you don't like it. It's better than saying that it's a "gimmick" for some reason that term makes the hairs on my neck stand up.