Author Topic: Zoe Saldana in "Colombiana"  (Read 25440 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Zoe Saldana in "Colombiana"
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »

I think one of the failings of Colombiana was that it didn't have enough cool stuff in it. The action needed to be harder, bigger, and more over the top. They needed to sex up Zoe more. And the bad guys needed to be more violent, more quirky, more memorable. As it stands, it was enjoyable but I thought it could've been much more, more stylized, more kewl.
I agree with you Emperor.  The film may have worked better if it had gone a bit bigger.  The villians were completely forgettable and really posed no true threat.  They felt like the benchwarmers of the cartel.  I feel like the producers wanted to have it both ways.  A big kick ass fantasy action film and a hardcore little revenge movie and ended up not doing either.

Another example of 'cool' sh*t that made no sense was the shark scene. Remember that?

I agree with you about the shark scene. More should've been done with that, and we should've seen the guy getting eaten. It was done a bit too neatly. Perhaps they should've hired a well known, genre type kind of actor for the main bad guy, someone like Danny Trejo or Tony Todd, someone I know, and the audience does too, can bring it and create memorable bad guys.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2011, 12:56:39 pm »
late to the party.. hopefully they'll do a sequel.. and maybe an extended cut dvd..

About her uncle Emilio: Why does he randomly start shooting an innocent person in their car to prove a point to her? Did he kill them? How does he/they just get to walk away, even as the police are driving up-- and this is a residential neighborhood? uhmm.. a very surreal moment in the film.. :o

When Catalaya is on the run, she goes to a seemingly random apartment, knocks a guy out, then grabs a huge rifle from the ceiling. Did she know this man? Did she apparently stash this previously, "just in case"?

When the boyfriend's buddy takes the phone image, what exactly was he trying to do when he forwarded it to the police clerk? He couldn't have suspected who she was, really..

--and do all modern police departments have such elaborate facial-recognition software that can pull from a flimsy cam-photo?

-- how did Catalaya know that Don Luis would try to escape in the van? heh..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2011, 06:51:50 am »
late to the party.. hopefully they'll do a sequel.. and maybe an extended cut dvd..

About her uncle Emilio: Why does he randomly start shooting an innocent person in their car to prove a point to her? Did he kill them? How does he/they just get to walk away, even as the police are driving up-- and this is a residential neighborhood? uhmm.. a very surreal moment in the film.. :o

When Catalaya is on the run, she goes to a seemingly random apartment, knocks a guy out, then grabs a huge rifle from the ceiling. Did she know this man? Did she apparently stash this previously, "just in case"?

When the boyfriend's buddy takes the phone image, what exactly was he trying to do when he forwarded it to the police clerk? He couldn't have suspected who she was, really..

--and do all modern police departments have such elaborate facial-recognition software that can pull from a flimsy cam-photo?

-- how did Catalaya know that Don Luis would try to escape in the van? heh..

It underperformed in the US, but still will likely do okay moneywise when you factor in the world box office. I can't see a sequel being made unless the DVDs/Blu-rays sell well, IMO. I hope for an extended, unrated cut of the film, with some hardcore action, but I don't think we are going to get that. I think the extended cut is only going to be a few minutes, so that's doubtful that they will add any of the stuff I would like to see.

I thought the uncle shooting up the street was the dumbest thing in the film. I don't remember the scene with the apartment and the gun, but I assume it was just stashed there and she didn't know the guy. As for the friend sending the pic, I think he was just being nosy and had a hook up at the police department and decided to use it to find out more about his bud's mystery girlfriend.

Offline voodoochild

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »
You see Hype and Emperor.  This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  :D :D
It's like they came up with ideas that were cool and/or badass but didn't bother to make them really work in the script.  And then couldn't or wouldn't let the film really cut loose and go all out with the spectacle.  It seemed to want to mix a gritty, realistic Bourne/Dark Knight style with the lame 80's aesthetic (lone, almost supernaturally gifted hero vs dozens of ineffective villians) that Die Hard should have retired.